NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-23-2005, 10:03 AM
Administrator

Default PayPal observation

Posted By: jay behrens

I went to pay for one of my auction wins and didn't realize that I didn't have enough money in my account to pay for the auction. PayPal asked if I wanted to transfer funds into it to cover the amount an clicked yes, figuring it would take the standard 3 days to clear. Low and behold, it was instantly transfered and they paid the auction immediately. If I had gone and done this manually, I would have had to wait the 3-4 days for the transfer to occur.

So what's the story here? Just another bank scam to get your money interest free for a few days?

Jay

My place is full of valuable, worthless junk.

Old 09-23-2005, 10:12 AM
Administrator

Posted By: BlackSoxFan

it depends on how your account is set up...also, i'm not exactly sure what you mean by manually? We do not keep more than $200.00 in our business acount most of the time. Funds are immediately with drawn from our checking and if for whatever reason our checking is depleted, it is then charged to our company cc. Once again, what do you mean by manually?

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

I'm Smart Enough To Know, There Are A Lot Of People Who Know More Than I Know

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-23-2005, 11:15 AM
Administrator

manually, as in clicking the "add funds" link. You get a notice that the transfer takes 3-4 days. Yet if try to pay for something that you don't have enough funds for, they automatically withdraw the funds for your checking account. It makes no sense why it takes 3-4 days one way and it happens instantly another way.

Jay

Old 09-23-2005, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

I beleive it says up to 3 days. I've transfered funds from my checking to PayPal a few times in the past. While it didn't take three days, it took at least one or two.

Old 09-23-2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator

I gotcha - if you have a zero balance and try to pay for something it works on credit...if you add funds ... no credit is involved so it ...much like many bank "transactions" takes three days.

took me a minute but here ya go too:
Click Here

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-23-2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

but in my case, there shouldn't be any credit, per se. I do not own a credit card, so my PayPal account is tied to my bank account. Looks like if I wanted to pull a nice scam, I could buy a really expensive card and make sure bank account is empty when I buy the card, and then just close it afterwards.

Jay

Old 09-23-2005, 04:00 PM
Administrator

That's why i said it depends on your situation, however, you would not be able to pay for the item through ebay if you don't have a substantiated secondary source of funds.

Regards,
Black Sox Fan

- - - - - - - - -

BlackSoxFan.com
email me

Old 09-23-2005, 10:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tbob

the weasel/cretins are at it again, sending phishing emails which purport to be from paypal to steal your information. This one looks identical to a real Paypal letter and says someone from yahoo.com has been added to your account and to click a link to remove it. Of course even though it says Paypal customer service, it is actually a fake link as are the others in the letter. Don't these jerk-offs have anything better to do than try and terrorize baseball card collectors?

Old 09-24-2005, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Lundrigan

I just got one the other day from the "Paypal Team".I was told I needed to update my account profile or my account would be suspended by a certain date untill I updated it.The login page was EXACTLY like Paypal`s.I almost logged in (thats all they need is your login info then they run wild with it)but stopped at the last second and reported it to Paypal.I avoided a major headache, be careful out there!If the web address looks like this http:// www.paypal.com don`t trust it.It should look like this https://www.paypal.com that "S" means it is a secure site.One more tip don`t log on to Paypal thru a link from an E-mail message,go directly to Paypal yourself and login that way.Hope this helps!

Old 09-24-2005, 11:31 AM
Administrator

another trick to do when you get phishing email is, after you gone to the site thru your own link, log in with you a bogus user name an password. If it is the real site, it will kick you back ans say invalid user name/password. If it's a phishing site, they won't.

Jay

Old 09-24-2005, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Agree Jay. First entering a bogus password is a good test for any site that has your financial information (paypal, eBay, online banking, etc). If the site says your password is not valid and you should try again, that's a good sign. A bogus site doesn't know your real password or user name (which is why they want you to enter it) and won't know and tell you that it's incorrect.

It's best to manually type into the web browser a financial site's address (www.nebraskabank.com) instead of following a link, especially in an email. An exception is eBay/PayPal as eBay owns PayPal. If you are at eBay and are logged in and are going to pay for winnings, eBay will switch you to PayPal. As, when paying this way, PayPal will list your full name, mailing address and the specific items you won (personal stuff bogus sites won't give you), you can be confident you are at the genuine site. Again, it is still a good thing to take the five seconds to first type in a bogus PayPal password to double check.

There is never a rush to address the emails that your account will be held. If your eBay or PayPal or whatever account is really lapsed because your credit card expired last month, these sites will always give you ample time to rectify it. This means if you get an email saying your information is wrong or they're going to hold your account, you don't have to address it is 10 minutues or your account will explode. You can take 24 or 48 hours to look into and ask around to make sure it's a legitimate situation.

If you think or worry or have a bad dream or your dog tells you that your account has been exploited, manually go to the site and change your password and/or user name. Changing the password regularly is a good thing to do anyway. The basic idea here is that if someone has your password and you don't even know about it, you changing the password invalidates the password he has. It's like cancelling a lost credit card. It doesn't matter if a thief has the credit card, because it doesn't work anmore.

Not unlike T206 Honus Wagners on eBay, I regularly see lots of fake PayPal emails, but have yet to receive a real PayPal email that asks me to change or re-enter my user information. There's a good chance the real PayPal has never sent such an email to anyone ever.