NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 06-14-2019, 03:48 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

Default 1960 Fleer Football - what's up with all the "proofs?"

I was surprised to pick up this Jack Kemp that is misaligned, has the wrong reverse (of 51 Billy Kinard), and missed some of the color ink runs for less than half of what the proper Kemp card sells for. Doing some research, I see quite a few "proofs" are out there, particularly the yellow inks, with multiple cards of one player. I've never paid much attention to the Fleer's before, but I've never seen this many pre-production or partial production cards before. For example, there are 2 yellow Kemps and 2 blue Kemps like this one (though they have the correct back, unlike mine) listed on eBay right now. It seems like almost all of these have the correct backs, if off-centered on the reverse more than the front

Did these all come from one find? Does anyone know the story here? I always like blank backs, proofs, misprints and other oddities. I'd love to see more in your collections!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image1.jpg (10.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg image2.jpg (19.6 KB, 74 views)

Last edited by G1911; 06-14-2019 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 06:12 PM
Mike Tav.en.ner

Most of it is really "printers scrap" .. not proofs or anything done on purpose. Whenever a printer changes his printing plate or switches ink colors over they have to run off a bunch of scrap sheets to get the ink color built up completely, and to adjust the registration, centering, etc. It can sometimes take up to 30 or 40 sheets to get it right, and often you would use any leftovers from the last plate you ran to set up for your next run (that's where most wrong backs come from).

Also, whenever a customer orders say 1,000 sheets of something .. they always print a small amount of overages .. just in case. Especially if the job requires extra steps like cutting, because if the cutter messes some up you don't want to have to go back and reprint just 100 sheets again.

All those extra printed sheets are set aside onto a scrap pile. Some just sit there and pile up for decades. Some are reused. Some are used as top and bottom slip sheets when cutting the cards, because most older cutters would leave an impression mark in the first couple of sheets (from the clamp pressure) .. or may not cut all the way through to the bottom sheet if the blade was slightly dull.

If there was anything cool or unique (like sports cards) it wouldn't be unusual for a pressman to take a few sheets home for his kids to play with or hang up as a poster, etc. He may even cut a bunch of them up to give them to his kids, friends, etc.

I worked at print shops back in the 1980's and I still have a few weird things I took home from the shop.

A lot of the stuff that "The Topps Vault" ebay store sold as proof cards and color separation cards, etc. was just old cut up printers scrap. Because there's no earthly reason why they would print, cut and save all of those different variations.

Last edited by Shouldabeena10; 06-14-2019 at 06:44 PM.
Old 06-14-2019, 10:25 PM
Gr.eg McCl.@y

They're definitely not proofs, but most are described as if they are. These pre-production scrap cards are usually quite rare, but there are a ton of 1960 Fleers on the market on the market for some reason. Don't see them for the other Fleer sets or many Topps/Bowman/T/E/N/R issues