NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 03-16-2018, 06:31 PM
K3v1n Stru55

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
Yes and no. The "Weiser Wonder" is a minor league PC, but the 1908 Rose is not. The Rose pre-dates the Ramly.
Orlando - the "Weiser Wonder" postcard that you reference was actually issued in 1910. The original real photo postcard (without title) that is pictured below was issued in 1907, before he was known by that nickname.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ebay original a.jpg (74.4 KB, 238 views)
File Type: jpg Idaho Statesman August 11, 1907.jpg (70.5 KB, 232 views)

Last edited by Baseball Rarities; 03-16-2018 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orly57 View Post
You consider a W600 a rookie in the case of Wagner, but a postcard isn't a rookie in the case of Wajo? Other than your handle being W600, what logical reason can you give why a W600 can be a rookie, but a postcard cannot? I am totally fine with considering a W600 a rookie card because I disagree with the sentiment that the card must come in packs or be a certain size to be considered a "card." But it seems like a strange position to take when you say that an oversized premium is a "card" for purposes of assigning a player's rookie, but a postcard is not.
W600 was issued as cards for 9 years. Nothing different than any other card company. The sets and years were defined. They were just oversized.Postcards to me are similar to postcards now. People can take pictures with there family and send letters or greetings. If Mike trout had a postcard 1909 or a page in a magazine in those years, they are not "ROOKIE CARDS"...

Cabinet Cards are a bit different. W600 are not Cabinets. Cabinet Card is similar to how cards are made now. Photo with cardboard back. Although, they have defined sets and stature. Cabinet Cards are loose ends a bit. But if the year in the Cabinet Card matches the rookie year to me its his Rookie Card.
Old 03-16-2018, 03:13 PM
Orlando Rodriguez

Quote:
Originally Posted by w600 View Post
W600 was issued as cards for 9 years. Nothing different than any other card company. The sets and years were defined. They were just oversized.Postcards to me are similar to postcards now. People can take pictures with there family and send letters or greetings. If Mike trout had a postcard 1909 or a page in a magazine in those years, they are not "ROOKIE CARDS"...

Cabinet Cards are a bit different. W600 are not Cabinets. Cabinet Card is similar to how cards are made now. Photo with cardboard back. Although, they have defined sets and stature. Cabinet Cards are loose ends a bit. But if the year in the Cabinet Card matches the rookie year to me its his Rookie Card.
It sounds to me like you should probably brush up a bit on post cards before making such sweeping commentary. I think you are confusing RPPC's (real photo postcards) with postcards that absolutely have defined sets and years and are catalogued. Like a W600 is a defined set in a catalog, so is the Rose Co (PC760), Novelty Cutlery (pc805) etc. Real photo postcards, on the other hand, were pics taken by individuals and put onto cardboard. Those do not have defined sets or years. But there is a HUGE difference between the two. I think certain RPPCs are great, but I too am a bit bothered by the fact that they aren't from defined sets or years. I don't own any largely for that reason (though I wouldn't mind a 1915 Ruth RPPC too much). But I do own quite a few PCs from legit catalogued sets. The Rose Wajo is most certainly part of a defined set from defined years. And if mike trout had a postcard from 1909, it would definitely be considered a PRE PRE PRE rookie.

Last edited by orly57; 03-16-2018 at 03:27 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 05:19 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

RPPC's can also be from well defined sets like Bregstone, Underwood & Underwood, Rotograph, Cleveland Souvenir Shop etc.

So really two types, private one-off's like Orlando describes above and ones mass produced for sets and promotional reasons.
Old 03-17-2018, 09:51 AM
Jam.es Braci.liano

Quote:
Tom Seaver (1967 Topps)
Seaver's true rookie card is the 1967 Team Issued Postcard, which was released before Topps last series in 1967
Old 03-21-2018, 12:36 PM
Phil Garry

I just made a couple of updates to my original posted list today. Individuals updated were Ty Cobb and Josh Gibson.
Old 03-21-2018, 01:23 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

You could remove the 07-09 date range for those Cobb postcards, I know you were referring to the Dietsche range but only the 1907 version would anyone consider his rookie.
Old 10-14-2018, 06:04 PM
Phil Garry

Hi Guys:

I was just checking in on Net54Baseball as I do every once in a while these days as I am no longer very active in the hobby and noticed the follow-up to my original HOF Rookie Cards Listing thread.

I am sure that Derek will be able to provide a most current listing as soon as he is able to. If anyone would like an updated entry to be made to my original list, I would be happy to do this also. Since I don't check in on Net 54 too often, it would be best if you send me a PM as I will see those messages in my e-mail box as well and I will respond and make the necessary updates if they are warranted.

I'm always happy to hear that board members are still referencing the list that I put together a number of years ago now, it was a lot of work and my hope was that it would act as a reference tool for collectors for many years to come. For those that do not know, I also put together another similar listing for Earliest Collectibles of BB HOF'ers which can be found in it's own thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t+collectibles

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 10-14-2018 at 06:08 PM.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:58 PM
Kyle May

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2oya311 View Post
Yep, that one works as well. I think Phil stuck with the primary issue when available (in this case the ‘68 Topps).

And Kyle, I promise I’m working on it. I’ve got a nice spreadsheet but I need to simply put it on the site.
Derek,

Awesome! Looking forward to that updated list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
Hi Guys:

I was just checking in on Net54Baseball as I do every once in a while these days as I am no longer very active in the hobby and noticed the follow-up to my original HOF Rookie Cards Listing thread.

I am sure that Derek will be able to provide a most current listing as soon as he is able to. If anyone would like an updated entry to be made to my original list, I would be happy to do this also. Since I don't check in on Net 54 too often, it would be best if you send me a PM as I will see those messages in my e-mail box as well and I will respond and make the necessary updates if they are warranted.

I'm always happy to hear that board members are still referencing the list that I put together a number of years ago now, it was a lot of work and my hope was that it would act as a reference tool for collectors for many years to come. For those that do not know, I also put together another similar listing for Earliest Collectibles of BB HOF'ers which can be found in it's own thread:

http://www.net54baseball.com/showthr...t+collectibles
Heck of a list. Thank you for putting it together!

- Hall of Famers
Progress: 318/340 (93.53%)

- Grover Hartley PC
Needs: T207 Anonymous Factory 25 Back, 1914 New York Evening Sun Supplements, 1917 D328 Weil Baking Co., and (possibly) 1917 Merchant's Bakery

- Jim Thome PC

- Cleveland Indians Franchise Hall of Fame
Old 07-15-2022, 08:08 PM
Phil Garry

Doug:

Thank you for your efforts towards bringing my original list up to date. In order to better explain why my choices are what they are, I am attaching a pic of the first page from my 4-Sports Hall of Fame Rookie Cards Guide, Baseball section, which is very similar to its Football, Basketball & Hockey Section counterparts. Over the next few days, I will also share my thoughts on the newest electees from the past 6 years and make the necessary updates to my original list at the very beginning of this thread. Rats60 and Peter look to be right on with their input as well.

Please feel free to inquire about anything that you see listed here and let's talk about it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg A.jpg (172.0 KB, 197 views)

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 07-15-2022 at 08:18 PM.
Old 07-31-2022, 05:10 PM

Default Lasorda

Tommy Lasorda rookie should be the 1952 Frostade, right? Not the 1954 topps?
Old 08-01-2022, 06:08 AM
Derek Granger

Quote:
Originally Posted by conner View Post
Tommy Lasorda rookie should be the 1952 Frostade, right? Not the 1954 topps?
1950 Big League Stars predates both. But according to Phil’s parameters to meet “rookie card” eligibility, the 1954 Topps satisfies all the “rules”. See the post preceding your post with the requirements. The 1952 Frostade also shows LaSorda while playing for his Montreal team.

HOF "Earliest" Collection (Ideal - Indiv): 244/342 (71.4%)
1914 T330-2 Piedmont Art Stamps......: 114/119 (95.8%)
1923 V100 Willard's Chocolate............: 177/180 (98.3%)

Last edited by h2oya311; 08-01-2022 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:05 AM

Phil has a separate list detailing the first cards/collectibles of HOFers. As noted, this particular list is for RCs as depicted in MLB garb.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:16 AM
Rob Miller

As a post-war HOF RC (and pre-RC) collector, I consider these to be pre-rookies:

I kind of mesh everything together - to each their own.

https://imageevent.com/vanslykefan/b...amerookiecards