NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-06-2009, 06:59 AM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

Default Extremely Rare M.L.B. (1886) Stadium Seat (Cincinnati)

Any chance this is legit?

Extremely Rare M.L.B. (1886) Stadium Seat (Cincinnati)
Old 06-06-2009, 07:57 AM

"Please correct me if I am wrong, but like I said I will keep this item listed on auction whether or not I am wrong or right."

That's comforting.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Jon Canfield

I have a feeling an otherwise no-name seat is going to sell for 10x it's true value!
Old 06-06-2009, 08:40 AM

I can not comment on authenticity in this area of collecting, but I did not like the disclaimer as noted in my previous post. It seems as though the seller is using only the patent date and the "CR" logo to jump to his/her conclusion as to the piece's origin. Who's not to say that this wasn't a seat in a railroad station (i.e. "C_______ Railroad")? Or perhaps it is from Cedar Rapids, Iowa (which is much closer to the seller's home in Nebraska than Cincinnati is). I'd certainly love to hear others' opinions on this.

Also, have any artifacts from this park actually survived? I was under the impression that everything was engulfed in the fire. Anyone?

Last edited by BillyCoxDodgers3B; 06-06-2009 at 08:49 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 08:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default hmmm

I was thinking train station when I first saw it too.....this is no different than saying an unknown photo is so and so because they lived during that time....
Old 06-06-2009, 09:53 AM
Dan Bretta

Interesting...she says she got it at an estate sale in Lincoln. I asked her a few questions about it...I'll relay them here if she answers. IMO that "C" could easily be a "G" which would then probably stand for "Grand Rapids" where it was made. It's probably just a theater seat.
Old 06-06-2009, 09:59 AM
Dan Bretta

Hmmm...I'd say this seller has two ebay ID's....not that there's anything wrong with that, but I saw this very cool Baseball Currency on ebay last month and it didn't get a bid...then it was relisted and I guess at the time I didn't realize it was two different seller ID's that listed it.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...lenotsupported

http://cgi.ebay.com/Rare-1887-Baseba...lenotsupported
Old 06-06-2009, 10:01 AM
Barry Sloate

It's funny how whenever there is some question of what an item may be, the seller always assumes the most valuable and expensive possibility. Everything is always baseball related.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Dan Bretta

I just wish baseball related items were on the lower end of the price spectrum instead of all the way at the top.

I wonder how many different hobbies there are where baseball related items are at the top in value?

Collect tobacco tins? Baseball is at the top

Collect Coca Cola advertising? Baseball is at the top

Collect Postcards? baseball is at the top

on and on.....
Old 06-06-2009, 10:27 AM
Joann

Grand Rapids used to be the furniture capital of the world - our history is pretty extensive in pre-1900 furniture. I was thinking that if I could figure out the mfg, it might be possible to find old records here as to what kind of seating they made - train station or stadium, for instance.

I've poked around quite a bit on this this morning (mainly as a procrastination and diversion from studying), and I haven't come up with a thing. I can't figure out what either SF or CF might mean from 1886. The only thing similar is Sligh, and they were only in bedroom furniture at that time. List of GR Furniture companies - very comprehensive and covers this time period:

http://www.fm4furniture.org/michyes.htm

I also tried to find a patent to see who invented it (thinking it might lead me to the mfg name), but that is needle in a haystack. Patents that old are only searchable by a few fields like date and classification. Nothing on 4/18/86 and I also tried much broader ranges of years using classifications 297/324 and 297/323 but you have to click on every single search return item - no descriptions in the list. (It's uspto.gov, if anyone is interested in looking. Click Patent Search, then Advanced, and use the syntax given in the field codes - it's fairly straightforward.)

I did get to look at several dozen really cool images like this one though:

http://patimg1.uspto.gov/.piw?docid=...RS=CCL/297/323

I don't have time to do the library research thing, so I am at a dead end for now (and have procrastinated long enough). Still, it was a pleasant diversion. In the process, I stumbled across other sites that I will spend time on when I have more time in August, such as this one that includes some furniture factory photos:

http://www.historygrandrapids.org/

I guess that my parting shots on this would be to wonder if a seat that nice - looks ornate and expensive for the time - would have been used in an outdoor setting when so much of it is wood. Doesn't it seem like baseball stadium seating would have been more plank and bleacher style back then, until they came up with wood protection/preservation coatings? Just thinking out loud here. I'm voting for an indoor use, which excludes baseball.

I enjoyed looking into this one, though. A well-spent hour!

J

Last edited by jmk59; 06-06-2009 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-06-2009, 11:03 AM
R@nd@ll Ad@ms

This is the oldest pic of a theater I could find on line:

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/fuo/1194265304.html
Old 06-06-2009, 11:54 AM

I was under the impression that Baseball box seats were usually just folding chairs and the VAST majority of all seats from this time period were wooden plank benches (even in the good sections). Baseball owners were very concerned about their bottom line and having more than a handful of box seats in a stadium would have broken the bank during this time period. I was also not aware of any real money being spent on a stadium on seating until the Palace of the Fans. Railroads and theatres on the other hand were much more upscale and lucrative during this period and could afford the higher cost of fixtures.
Old 06-06-2009, 12:02 PM
Brock

I dont think there is much doubt that its not a baseball stadium seat. Just look at it. Does it look like a seat (a numbered seat at that) that would of been outside in a baseball stadium in 1886? I doubt it.