NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 04-03-2016, 01:18 PM
John

Default 1984 Topps "glossy send-in" Question

I'm working on this set today - these are cards I pulled from packs as a kid and I'm confused on something.....

There are 11 cards which I would call glossy ("Glossy Star Cards" or COMC calls them "Glossy Inserts"):

1 Curt Warner Seattle Seahawks
2 Eric Dickerson Los Angeles Rams
3 Dan Marino Miami Dolphins
4 Steve Bartkowski Atlanta Falcons
5 Todd Christensen Los Angeles Raiders
6 Roy Green St. Louis Cardinals
7 Charlie Brown Washington Redskins
8 Earnest Gray New York Giants
9 Mark Gastineau New York Jets
10 Fred Dean San Francisco 49ers
11 Lawrence Taylor New York Giants

Cards 1-3 from my binder shown below.

There is also a subset of cards:

1 MARCUS ALLEN
2 JOHN RIGGINS
3 WALTER PAYTON
4 TONY DORSETT
5 FRANCO HARRIS
6 CURT WARNER
7 ERIC DICKERSON
8 MIKE PRUITT
9 KEN ANDERSON
10 DAN FOUTS
11 TERRY BRADSHAW
12 JOE THEISMANN
13 JOE MONTANA
14 DANNY WHITE
15 KELLEN WINSLOW
16 WESLEY WALKER
17 DREW PEARSON
18 JAMES LOFTON
19 CRIS COLLINSWORTH
20 DWIGHT CLARK
21 MARK GASTINEAU
22 LAWRENCE TAYLOR
23 RANDY WHITE
24 ED TOO TALL JONES
25 JACK LAMBERT
26 FRED DEAN
27 JAN STENERUD
28 BRUCE HARPER
29 TODD CHRISTENSEN
30 GREG PRUITT

PSA and COMC are calling these (1-30 above) "glossy send-in", but I'm pretty sure I pulled them from packs without sending anything in and unlike the subset of 11, they aren't all that glossy to me.... Does anyone know why they are called "send-in"? Weren't they included in packs?

Here is a link: http://www.psacard.com/psasetregistr...te.aspx?c=2952

I included an image of one of my pages showing cards 2-8 from the subset of 30 below.

Finally, the set also has "super play game cards", but I'm not worried about these - just working on the main set and two subsets.

Thanks for any help!

P.S. If you just want to chime in on this set, feel free. One thing I noticed after putting all these into binders is that they sure have a lot of "tilt". Centering seems pretty tough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 84-Topps-glossy.jpg (77.3 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg glossy-send-in.jpg (76.5 KB, 82 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 04-03-2016 at 02:41 PM.
Old 04-03-2016, 04:12 PM

The ones with the blue borders were indeed inserts in packs.

The ones with the black backgrounds however, didn't come in packs, instead were the prize for sending in yards from the game cards.

Here's an ebay listing for the game cards. On the back you can read how to go and claim the send-in glossies.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1984-Topps-I...QAAOSwd0BV3Ljo
Old 04-03-2016, 10:15 PM
shawn

Completed this set last year. I've got a decent number left over .. And a few black borders left over.. No blue ones tho.. If you have a list of cards needed..

The centering on mine are everywhere and in between as well .. Never really given it great thought till recently with grading ..etc. As long as the corners were decent.
Old 04-04-2016, 10:02 AM
John

Thanks guys!

Obiwin - I appreciate the link - its so strange that I have all 30 "send-in" cards plus duplicates, yet no recollection of mailing anything in. I guess it was a long time ago, but still - I usually have a good memory for this stuff. (I remember Boba Fett was a mail in ). One interesting thing which I can't do until my next trip to see the folks will be checking my duplicates to see if they are in multiples of five since it says 25 yards = 5 cards and there are 30 cards. I wonder how one specified which cards they wanted to avoid getting the same 5 over and over.... Any idea? The game card didn't list the 30 players.

Shawn thanks, I'm basically done too. I had 395/396 cards from the main set, 8/11 glossy star player cards and all of the "send-in" cards. I picked up the Seahawks team card with Curt Warner shown below on eBay and 2/3 glossy cards from COMC (Gastineau and Bartkowski are in my inventory and I have an offer out for Earnest Gray). (I attached one more image showing 2 of the gaps in my glossy cards.) The centering is so off, but I like the fact I pulled these cards. It's definitely a different kind of project than my Chicle set - this one is more relaxing.

Finally, what did you mean when mentioning black/blue borders? There's variations?

Thanks Again!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg last-card.jpg (76.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg gaps.jpg (74.4 KB, 51 views)

Last edited by TanksAndSpartans; 04-04-2016 at 10:09 AM. Reason: spelling and grammar
Old 04-04-2016, 12:38 PM
shawn

Sorry.. Glossy inserts, and black background
Old 04-04-2016, 12:58 PM
John

Quote:
Originally Posted by sockwell123 View Post
Sorry.. Glossy inserts, and black background
Got it - thanks. My guess is neither wax nor cello packs had the glossy star cards and these were what they typically had at convenience stores where I would have been buying cards since they were walking/biking distance. I think the rack packs did, but it would've taken a car ride to get these which was less common. So probably we all had less of the glossy cards.
Old 04-04-2016, 01:12 PM
shawn

This was a couple years before I started buying cards in the 80's..but I bought the entire lot of black bordered cards from a card seller in the mid 90's
Old 04-04-2016, 01:46 PM
John

Sadly, this was actually the only football set I ever collected - I have baseball cards from throughout the 80s, but not football. It would have been nice if the kid me had left the adult me something else to work on - but this was it.