NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Football Cards Forum

Old 02-03-2008, 09:07 AM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: John S

A solid class, all very deserving, but for the second year in a row not very exciting. I was surprised that Goldberg did not make the cut. I would really like to see a strong push to recognize some of the early stars of the game (and I am not talking 1960's). There are at least a dozen players that should at least be considered. I think that we have posted these before but it can't hurt to mention players like Pete Calac, Al Wistert, Jack Butler, Glen Presnell, etc.

Old 02-03-2008, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: Mike McKee

Lavie Dilwig, Ox Emerson, Riley Matheson, Al Nesser, Duke Slater, Gus Sonneberg are few others.

The biggest snub of all is Al Wistert previously mentioned. 8 Time All Pro not in the Hall? Why? Dick Barwegan is another 8 time All pro not in.

60's guys
Maxie Baughan is a 9 time all pro not in. Chris Hanburger 9 times and Winston Hill 8 Jack Kemp 9 and Geo. Kunz 8 time Walt Sweeney 9 times

Old 02-04-2008, 06:35 AM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: jim

The football HOF, as in baseball, is no longer viewed as a strictly sporting debate; it is now a social and political venue. Don't hold your breath waiting for the fine football players you have mentioned to be selected.

Old 02-04-2008, 10:36 AM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: Frank Rose

Most of the Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors continue to subesequently downplay the significance of each and EVERY position on a roster. Until they do, they will continue to be looked upon as being ignorant, and as you suggest subject to the "political" nature of the process, by this observer. A panel of less than 40 journalists votes in this process, an antiquated, insular and stale system in need of refinement.

Frank Rose
Vintage Football Collectors Message Board
www.gridirongreats.net
Online Orders: www.helmethut.com
(Click Enter Store, Gridiron Greats Magazine Tab)

Old 02-07-2008, 05:14 AM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: jim

Another thing that comes to mind is the probability that the selectors do not know the accomplishments of the players from the past. I don't know what research they do, if any, but I wonder if they only consider players from their own time frame worthy of a vote. Frankly speaking, I don't think many voters are students of the game but more likely agenda driven voting propagandists.

Old 02-07-2008, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: davidcycleback

My family is always biasedly waiting for Don Coryell, as he's a relation-- My mom's maiden name is Coryell. Only coach to win 100 games in college and in the NFL, and the inventor of the pass happy "Air Coryell" offense used by Dan Fouts, Dan Marino, Colt Brennan et al. Though he is already a member of the College Football Hall of Fame. The only real blemish on his record is that his Chargers teams didn't win a Super Bowl.

Old 02-07-2008, 01:58 PM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: Eric Wells

I think the HOF should let the fans vote at least one player in each year. Sort of like the pro bowl. Would be easy to do with the internet...could even be on the pro football hof website.

These players left their mark on the field and with the fans who watch the game. Having a few select individuals decide who gets in and leaving the remaining 99.99% of pro football fans out of the decision process is an injustice.

My old timers who should be given consideration:
Charlie Conerly
Whitey Wistert
Tommy Thompson
Jerry Kramer
Johnny Robinson
Maxie Baughan
Lou Rymkus
Jack Butler
Gene Brito
Dick Stanfil
Tommy Nobis

Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: davidcycleback

The fans would probably vote in Derek Jeter.

Old 02-11-2008, 07:27 AM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: Alan

Marshall Goldberg was one of my first football autographs from a older Jewish player, plus I corresponded with him by mail over the years so I had a great fondness for him. But, honestly, he did NOT deserve to be elected.

Alan

Old 02-18-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: John H,

Coryell's impressive resume also includes an excellent stint with the St. Louis Football Cardinals that is somewhat overlooked these days. The Cards went 31-11 from 1974-76, with two NFC East championships, and were 7-3 in 1977 before losing their last four games. Bill Bidwell, in his infinite wisdom, fired Coryell and the team immediately slipped back into their familiar funk.

Mick Tingelhoff is one of the most deserving players not in the Hall of Fame. Five consecutive All-Pro selections from 1965-69 and All-NFC in 1970.

Jerry Kramer made the NFL's 50th Anniversary team back in 1969. I don't know how he can possibly not merit induction.

John

Old 04-25-2008, 06:00 PM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: Mark B.

The football HOF voting is unpredictable. I was sure Derrick Thomas would make it this year. And Art Monk over Derrick Thomas? Crazy.

Old 04-25-2008, 07:04 PM
Administrator

Default 2008 HOF class

Posted By: BigDaddyBowman

Mac Speedie should also be in the Hall of Fame. Frankie Albert also a possibility.