NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-15-2011, 12:52 AM
Dave

Default Another Ebay rule change!

Found this one by accident. Guess I'll have to update my template when I get a chance.

Apparently Ebay now frowns upon sellers having "selling terms" and "Policies".

Honestly, I don't know how sellers with thousands of items in their stores can keep up with the constant whims of the Ebay bureaucracy.

I didn't even know this was a rule. Stumbled upon it when I went to go revise an item and the following popped up.

A listing may not include statements that discourage bidding activity.

For example, you cannot say things like:

"Find out more about our selling practices policy."

“Don’t bid if you do not agree with my terms”

This kind of information is unprofessional and may discourage good buying activity on your item.

Please edit your listing, making sure there's no mention of these words or something similar. If there is, you won't be able to list your item. This could also negatively impact your ability to participate in the Top-rated seller program.

Find out more about our selling practices policy.

Of course this is because Ebay cares about us, and the number of bids we get. They don't want us scaring away potential bidders with silly "terms" and "policies".

Hard for me to wrap my head around the purpose of this. Somebody with sociopathic control issues must be in charge of the ship.

"Just a venue"

Vent over. Learn to adapt Dave, learn to adapt (pep talk to myself).

Last edited by D. Bergin; 08-15-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 06:58 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Actually, it makes sense to me and is unsurprising. Ebay has long announced its intent to move closer to the Amazon marketplace and away from the garage sale model. Amazon does requires all sellers to abide by the same policies. Many sellers put in terms that are contrary to express Ebay policies. I've seen sellers demand payment in less time than Ebay mandates, refuse to guarantee receipt of items in contravention of Paypal and Ebay policy, and so on. Ebay is trying to standardize transactions.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 08-15-2011, 07:54 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default wow

I find it hard to understand that saying "Please don't bid if you are not going to pay" is against any type of commercial rule. It's freaking common sense. So, I wonder if you can say "Please pay after you win". Amazing. Next Ebay will tell you what kind of toilet paper to use.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:06 AM
J@RR0D

I'm still miffed about ebay telling me a couple of weeks ago that I can only now sell $500 per month. After being a member for a 2+ years and having 100% feedback. Nice job, ebay. Way to alienate your customers.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:19 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Default When?

Hi Dave,

Do you know when they started this policy, or when they will begin enforcing it?

Thanks,

Jeff
Old 08-15-2011, 11:28 AM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Hi Dave,

Do you know when they started this policy, or when they will begin enforcing it?

Thanks,

Jeff

No idea Jeff. I never saw an announcement and I just stumbled upon it last night, by accident when I edited a typo in one of my listings.

I have a statement in big, bold letters at the bottom of my listings which basically says, "If you don't like my shipping rates, please do not bid. They are clearly stated in the auction."

It was something I added, mainly in frustration. I'll change it to be a bit less blunt I guess.

Apparently Ebay is getting complaints because bidders don't like to read descriptions anymore. Even if they are in big, bold letters.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:21 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Ebay is pretty much over-stepping their boundaries, BUT they ARE trying to make sure you get the most out of your auctions. Not because they give a crap about you though, but because they give a crap about their percentage and fees.. There shouldn't be anything wrong with sellers having their own standards or rules, but then again, ebay doesn't care. You're the one taking the risk, and not them.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:54 AM
Dan Bretta

Ebay placed restrictions on me two months ago after a good 6-7 year run as a seller with ZERO negative feedbacks...and last month they stripped me of my top seller rating and my 20% discount because in the last three months I've gotten three 1 or 2 DSR ratings for 'communication'. So three of my buyers who felt I didn't communicate well enough with them cost me $170 last month. It's exasperating..I've scaled waaayyy back on my selling this month. Maybe I'll go back to my regular listing habits when I get my 20% discount back. I don't understand why ebay wants to kill off auctions and become more like Amazon...there's already a site like that and it's called Amazon.
Old 08-15-2011, 09:05 AM
Dean

Quote:
Originally Posted by novakjr View Post
Ebay is pretty much over-stepping their boundaries, BUT they ARE trying to make sure you get the most out of your auctions. Not because they give a crap about you though, but because they give a crap about their percentage and fees.. There shouldn't be anything wrong with sellers having their own standards or rules, but then again, ebay doesn't care. You're the one taking the risk, and not them.
From a buyer's perspective I'd certainly prefer standardized rules. I don't want to have to read the fine print of every ad I look at to make sure there are no unusual terms or conditions. In fact, it is my understanding that a seller's rules don't supersede eBay's anyway, so it really just seems to be added confusion and increased potential for disagreements.

my eBay auctions