NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 02-07-2011, 04:10 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Default Anyone been in any bands or just play?

Well, all this music talk got me thinking...I'm betting that there's a good number of us that play.

I myself, sang and played some guitar in a band about 2 1/2 years ago.
www.myspace.com/asphaltjuke
I'd pretty much categorize it as Hard Rock/Alternative. I haven't done a whole lot since, but I still like to get out every once in a while to the open mic's or coffee shops, and play some covers and originals.

Just wondering if anyone's been in a band, or plays open mic's, or just plays for the hell of it? Maybe share some links?
Old 02-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Daryle Barbee

I played drums in a local band with some high school friends back in the mid-90s (we were all out of school by then).......band name was October Black............we did the alternative/grunge stuff plus some other stuff. Lotsa Nirvana, Green Day, Live, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, we even did Zombie by The Cranberries but way heavier than the original, a few classic rock songs including Come Together by the Baetles, etc,etc.... Lead singer/guitarist could play several instruments and wrote his own songs. Think we had 13-15 "original" songs when I decided to step out. I could still play a few of the originals now given the chance. Lotsa fun but LOTSA work.........
Old 02-20-2011, 10:19 AM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Very nice Daryle. That's probably right around what we were, a strong Grunge influence that kinda drifted off a little into other genres. ie:hardcore, classic rock, blues, metal, whatever... I think we had around 23 or so originals, and played a handful of covers. We actually had 2 lead vocalists, and everyone in the band(other than myself) could do a little of everything. And I have to agree, yes, it was a lot of fun, but a ridiculous amount of work.

I'm honestly surprised that not too many people in here seem to play. I was looking forward to checking out some new music. Or at least talking about what kind of stuff everyone enjoyed playing, and sharing some experiences.
Old 02-21-2011, 03:01 PM
Isaac Lane

I too have played in bands growing up, just messing around for fun. Now I like to write songs. Baseball cards are my second favorite hobby behind writing songs.
Old 02-26-2011, 11:50 AM
pariah1107

I was 18 when the Pacific Northwest blew up in the early 90's. Being in Seattle you almost HAD to play. Guitar/bass/vocals & bands I have played in; Flathead, Solomon Grundy (w/Screaming Trees guitarist Gary Lee Conner), The Shorts, Planet of the Apez, & The Electric Monks. We never got out of Seattle, but you can still find some of our LP's/EP's on New Alliance Records & Bag of Hammers website.

I have long since given up on that dream, but still tinker. New computer programs like Samplitude, Reason, & Fruity Loops, helps with the DIY ethos.
Old 02-26-2011, 12:59 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VOLnVEGAS View Post
I too have played in bands growing up, just messing around for fun. Now I like to write songs. Baseball cards are my second favorite hobby behind writing songs.
That's right about where I am...Baseball cards are a very close second.
Old 02-26-2011, 01:16 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pariah1107 View Post
I was 18 when the Pacific Northwest blew up in the early 90's. Being in Seattle you almost HAD to play. Guitar/bass/vocals & bands I have played in; Flathead, Solomon Grundy (w/Screaming Trees guitarist Gary Lee Conner), The Shorts, Planet of the Apez, & The Electric Monks. We never got out of Seattle, but you can still find some of our LP's/EP's on New Alliance Records & Bag of Hammers website.

I have long since given up on that dream, but still tinker. New computer programs like Samplitude, Reason, & Fruity Loops, helps with the DIY ethos.
That's awesome. I'd love to hear some of the stuff...

As far as the dream. I never really had it, I just liked to play. Had a really good thing going, everything was starting to turn the corner, then it ended. We're all still really good friends.

One of these days I plan on getting some funds together to at least record 4 or 5 songs that would've been the second album, plus 4 or 5 newer originals. Maybe using it to build a new band around, probably more of a bar band with mostly covers and a few originals. But then again, I've been saying that for 2 years now.
Old 02-28-2011, 12:22 PM
Clayton

David- just checked out your band and you guys were good !! I say "were" because you aren't together anymore? Anyhow, I listened to "Silvergreene" and "Contemplation" (nice groove on that song).

I remember a band that got sort of popular in the 90's was a band called Sugartooth. They had a great album, can't remember name of it right now, but had a popular song "Sold My Fortune"- awesome stuff.

Anyhow, I play guitar and bass.......not in a band currently, but am trying to put together a speed/thrash metal project with a couple of guys I work with....don't know what will come out of it. Finding a good drummer who can play double bass drums is not easy

Great thread guys-

Sincerely, Clayton
Attached Images
File Type: jpg various 001.jpg (76.2 KB, 68 views)
File Type: jpg various 002.jpg (77.3 KB, 68 views)
Old 02-28-2011, 04:51 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

Thank you for the complements Clayton. I'm completely out of copies of the disk, but if you're interested, you can PM me your email, and I'll send you the tracks. Anyone else who wants the tracks, feel free to ask. As far as Sugartooth, I don't remember the name, but I do vaguely remember that song.

Finding a good drummer who plays double bass isn't that hard. The problem is finding a good drummer who plays double bass that knows how to use it appropriately. Maybe sparingly would be a better term. I just find it much more effective if it's not double bass all the way through every song. It just makes it stand out that much more when you do go to it.

Towards the end of the band, after our original drummer left the band for health reasons, we lucked into this 18 year old kid that was just incredible. Strong Jazz influence, but also very diverse in styles, it made for a great mix. He actually didn't play a double, but he was quick enough that you would often swear that he was. He wasn't the drummer on those recordings, but when I do get around to recording again, I'll definitely be using him..

Nice Les BYW.

Last edited by novakjr; 02-28-2011 at 04:56 PM.
Old 03-01-2011, 03:52 AM
Clayton

David, I sent you a PM. You are right about the drummer......don't want one that just plays fast.....timing is everything. Here is a link to one of my favorite drummers. I would love to find someone who plays like him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xj22...eature=related

Clayton
Old 03-05-2011, 11:39 PM
Archive

Hey Clayton

I remember Sugartooth. Actually their "Sold My Fortune" video appeared in an episode of Beavis & Butthead. They ripped on it.

I have a electric guitar myself. An Ibanez RG550 that I picked up in Germany back in the 80s. I don't play much though. Someone once told me that when I play it sounds like someone is sticking a cat's tail in a fan.

On a side note, you know you are getting old when a guitar company makes an anniversary edition of a guitar that you've owned for twenty years!

Jantz
Old 03-07-2011, 10:09 PM
Clayton

Hey Jantz !!

Good to hear from you !! I think that whole album was really good, it's been a long time since I've heard it, but I think I'm going to get another copy of it.

That must be a sweet Ibanez.....any pics?

That's funny- the cat's tail in the fan ,,,,,,,guitar isn't easy, that's for sure. I just play by ear, never learned how to read music- it's STILL on my "to do" list (20 something years later )..

Clayton
Old 04-02-2011, 06:30 PM

I was in a band in high school called Unknown Soldier. We were legends in our own minds.
JimB
Old 04-05-2011, 09:24 AM

I play guitar, have for about 13-14 years. I had a 1974 Fender Stratocaster which I played for years but I sold it a few years back to pay for an adoption. I have a couple guitars now, but I am a Fender guy at heart. My favorite guitar I play now is a 1986 Fender Japanese Strat. It beats the hell out of anything Fender made in the CBS era and I actually prefer it to any American Strat I have played in the last 10 years. I played a lot with a bunch of guys in College but now just for fun in my office.

Rhys Yeakley
Old 04-05-2011, 12:15 PM
David Nova.kovich Jr.

E93- I think we were all legends.

Rhys- Very cool. My buddy is pretty big into Fender, and his friend's dad is huge into Fender stuff. I think the two have been competing lately. Anytime one gets something new, the other has to top it. Needless to say, they've gotten somewhat ridiculous. I myself, am not so particular. There's just something about the feel of a Les Paul that's soothing to me though, but then again my buddy says the same about Tele's.. The only thing Fender I've ever owned was one of the Red Knob Super 60's that sounded pretty damn nice for a short while. I believe Paul Rivera designed the Red Knobs. It just had way too many hard to fix problems, which I've heard is somewhat common with the Red Knob Fenders.

Last edited by novakjr; 04-05-2011 at 12:15 PM.