NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2003, 08:26 PM
Administrator

Default Thoughts on paying for an item with 0 feedback seller

Posted By: leon

Any thoughts on ways to protect myself while paying for this card?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=31719&item=2700291985

regards all....
ps...I know I can ask him to call me and see how it goes.

Old 01-19-2003, 08:51 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

One possible solution is to ask the seller to set up a PayPal account. It's not that hard and you will be covered by PayPal if the deal goes bad.

The only way I buy something from a zero feedback seller is if they take PayPal.

Jay

Old 01-19-2003, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Nick

Leon,
I often purchase items from "high risk" sellers. I have had pretty good results. I noticed the seller will only take payment in certified funds. Being a new seller he may not know how easy it is to set a paypal account. If you pay via paypal with a credit card then you have some recourse.
If that doesn't fly then I have found that using the techniques found in bill collection to be effective(I don't like bill collectors.) Here are a few ideas:

Flood him/her with communication until you receive the item. Make sure the phone number registered is good. I think the average theif likes an easy target. If you are calling and e-mailing he may think twice.

Insist on the item being deliverd via insured overnight delivery. This may cost you a couple extra bucks but it will take "It's in the mail" out of the equation.

And lastly if you know anyone who lives in the area who can pick the card up for you in a public place that would be good.

That's my advise...

Regards,
Nick

Old 01-19-2003, 09:17 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Scott M

I'd simply send an email and ask for a phone number. You could mention that you want to ensure the card is properly packaged and shipped since its an expensive item. Ask for a street address so that you can send the payment via fed ex (they don't ship to PO boxes). Agree to pay for the item to be sent federal express and ask that a tracking number be sent once the package is "in the mail".

I do think asking someone to use a certain vendor is out of line. If I decided to sell a card on ebay from my collection and I'm not a full time card dealer I would not in any way entertain the thought of doing this. And if someone after the auction then said that was the only way they would pay, I'd feel as if they weren't exactly above board.

Old 01-19-2003, 09:22 PM
Administrator

Posted By: charlie

C.O.D

Old 01-19-2003, 09:36 PM
Administrator

Posted By: PSAKID

Why not use an Escrow service?

Old 01-19-2003, 09:49 PM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_McKenzie

I remember that they had a reserve of around $600, so they must have looked in a price guide at some point. I noticed they were also selling a glass vase and 3 Roy Rogers and Dale Evans albums. Maybe they are the original owners??? I know my first ebay transaction was not selling an item from my house with a $600 reserve. I would call them and chat it up..Ask them about Roy Rogers etc. and offer to pay via paypal . Tell him to send the item in a manner that you have to sign to receive the item. Good Luck. Looks like a good card at any rate. Too bad Derek Grady didn't get to these people before they found ebay.

Old 01-19-2003, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

..but some people get along just fine with them. Just do everything overnight express.

Old 01-19-2003, 09:54 PM
Administrator

Old 01-19-2003, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian C Daniels

what's up Julie?

Old 01-19-2003, 10:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeff S

I bought my DAT machine from a (0) feedback seller who seemed okay, but was new & all. I talked him into escrow. I paid for escrow, which for a ~$600 item was (I think) about $30 -- which is about the same as overnight express and a couple long-distance phone calls.

With escrow, the seller doesn't get his/her money until 1. you've received the item AND 2. you've approved it (usually a 2-3 day "inspection period"). Probably couldn't pass it by Derek (sorry, couldn't resist) in that amount of time, but you could give it a good look over and send us all a good scan .

Old 01-19-2003, 10:23 PM
Administrator

Correct ............ Julie- not sure how a 4 second snipe would be unintentional? ....I think a board member is going to be able to hand pick it up for me. If not, then I already had thought about the phone...the paypal sounds good too....and tracking numbers etc.....thanks for the thoughts folks....we'll see....the card looked kind of dark but I figured it warranted the price and the scan looks to have made it look darker than it probably is......regards all

Old 01-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JC

Leon, I think you should sell the card to me, for lets say 1500.00 and lower your risk factor. I'll make all the arrangements on the card, plus I'll be the one on the hook then.

Old 01-19-2003, 11:14 PM
Administrator

It was my first experience with Auctionstealer, and the thing closed in the middle of the night, when i can't get to the computer. I asked for a 7 second buffer; they got the bid in with 0 seconds to spare.

Is there some particular reason why everyone thinks I'm an idiot? When i ask if a four-second snipe was intentional, there's a good reason for it. Aside from third party snipers, sometimes the screens suddenly get very sluggish at just the wrong time...

Old 01-19-2003, 11:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankron

My opinion is that you bid in his auction and the auction is over, which means you have to follow his (reasonable) rules. You can ask for special shipping or payment qualities, but you have to follow his (reasonable) rules if he doesn't like your suggestions. My guess is that everything will work out fine. I've had recent experiences with '0' bidders who won expensive items-- I didn't have a single problem with any of them.

Old 01-20-2003, 06:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_Mckenzie

Hankron, someone must have stoled your password, dude. I thought you was smart?

I have sold about as much as I have bought on ebay since 1998. I couldn't care less if the high bidder sends me payment or not. I'd just as soon keep the card. eBay is weighted towards the "seller" so I am leary of sellers with 0 feedback. Especially sellers with "0" feedback that look like they know what they are doing. I would not send someone with zero feedback a $1700 cashier's check for a baseball card on faith. Leon sounds like he's got it figured out. Have a friend get it in person, or get on the phone and find out if the people are homespun yokels or just another ebay fly by night rip-off artist. I'd at least call the people.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:03 AM
Administrator

I don't think anyone, including myself, thinks you're an idiot Julie. I certainly didn't mean any harm in my response back to you. I just found it hard to believe that folks snipe without knowing it. Especially somewhat experienced ebayers such as myself and most of the board. I guess, as you stated, it could happen though. Quite to the contrary I think most folks, obviously including MW, think you are one of the smartest board members. And I don't mean to be condescending or whatever that other word is. JC- No, I won't sell it to you for $1500, how about $2100.00? Once you sell those album pages on ebay you'll have plenty of dough....best regards all

Old 01-20-2003, 07:22 AM
Administrator

Since this seller is obviously not on our board and this is a fairly high dollar transaction I thought I would post their response (email form) to my question a few days ago. I asked them if they could explain a little more about how they got the card. I also said that as a 0 feedback seller I did have a little bit of a concern, since there are definitely some ebayers with issues.....I said it all in a very non-confrontational way......also, since there is no real personal info in this message I hope it is ok to make a private email public....I know I have spoken against this recently but I do feel this is a little different circumstance....so here is their repsonse...dated 1/12/03 at 10:42..

This card has been in my grand mothers family for over a hundred year .I found it digging in some old tins in the attic.in that tin there where a bunch of old photo albums but this card was laying on the bottom. The photo albums where old they where pictures of the man who homesteaded my grand mas house in 1883.my mother was going to throw away this card because she thought he was in prison.but i told her it looked like an old baseball card .I took a picture of it and sent it to a few places on the internet and they kind of told me what it was that to them it was worth about 500-700$ .
so i thought i would just try ebay and put the reserve at 500$. thanks.

Old 01-20-2003, 07:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: RC_Mckenzie

They would have to go to a lot of trouble to list Gene Autry and Roy Rogers/Dale Evans record albums to show their innocence. If they are charlatans, they're good at it.JMO

Old 01-20-2003, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jay Miller

Leon--As someone experienced on ebay you should have had these questions answered before you bid. By bidding you entered into a contract with the seller. The contract is done. The obligation now falls on you to perform your part of the contract. The seller doesn't have to concede on anything at this point. Once your part is done, the obligation is the sellers to deliver the item.

Old 01-20-2003, 08:59 AM
Administrator

WOW...I entered into a contract?....dang it...now look what I've gotten myself into best regards

Old 01-20-2003, 11:20 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Hankon

RC, The winner in an auction does not have the right or discretion to change the rules after he won the auction, just as he doesn't have the right to change the sale price after the auction. He can inquire before or during the auction to work out the particulars or flush out details, then choose whether or not to bid. After the auction he can make special requests, but those are exactly that: requests. Some sellers follow special requests, some do not. I allow people to pick things up in person and will talk with them on the telephone. I will usually follow special mailing or payment requests on expensive items (Except for escrot: that bites). However, I don't allow them to re-write the bidding contract after the fact and expect them to pay if they won.

I would not send $1,700 to a 'O' seller, but that's because I wouldn't bid $1,700 in an auction held by a '0' seller.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Skip the middleman and go straight to the source: grandma's desk.

Leon, I owned one of these SF Hess cards, a few years ago, and I actually bought it from a Grandma in Maine who had it in her desk drawer with other old stuff. She wanted 'no less than $20' for it.

Old 01-20-2003, 11:45 AM
Administrator

RC. this is an example of what I don't appreceate as a seller (A comical rather than bitter experience).

I deal largely with photographs. I put up for auction a 1970s Original and Black and White 8x10" Photograph of Walter Payton. A nice photo, but hardly anything to break the bank. I included a detailed description and included a nice image (clearly showing it was a black and white photograph) I don't sell photos in frames or such, and never suggest that I do. All my aucions are 10 Day-ers, so nothing was sprung upon the unsuspecting at the last second.

A woman won the the auction for $9.99. After the auction, she inqured about payment. After that we had the following conversation (artistically enhanced, as it was through email):

She: "Does the photo come in a frame and matting?"
Me: "No."
She: "Is the photograph in color?"
Me: "No."
She: "Oh. I don't want the photo then. I take back my bid."

As I said, I found it more comical than anything else.

Old 01-20-2003, 12:17 PM
Administrator

You may get burned, or you may get an S.F. Hess.

Arne't you sup[pposed to ask questions before you bid?

Old 01-20-2003, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Hey Folks,
When I bid on this, or any auction, I fully intend on doing exactly as the auction states. (as my 203 feedback should show...and my little bit of hobby experience should help prove) Just as I will do in this auction. I didn't need to ask too many questions first as I fully intend on sending the money and am 99.00% sure this is a fine transaction. My initial post was merely an attempt on my part to solicit opinions on what others did to protect themselves. The seller has already given me their phone number (today) and directions to their house...I am sure it will go no farther than me sending them money and them sending the card.....again, I was just soliciting opinions. I was going to send the money regardless because that's what I do when I win something.....thanks to all who helped give opinions and pooh on those who questioned me.....best regards

Old 01-20-2003, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

You're right Leon. This is completely different from the previous circumstance.

With the matter at hand, I agree with the concensus that questions should have been asked prior to bidding and that you will have to follow through with the transaction on way or another. That said, I cannot believe you are sending certified funds to this guy!!! He has had his ebay handle for a little while and has not had a positive (or negative) transaction. Your best bet would have been to have someone you know in that area pick up the card for you. This still would not ensure that your card is legitimate unless your liason is familiar with this issue.

If I were in your shoes (and I am not saying I ever will be as sophisticated because I am as you know very much a beginner in these hobby matters), I would Fed Ex a bank cashier check (not money order) and have clear instructions for the seller to Fed Ex the card to you upon receipt of payment. The next day, you will have an opportunity to inspect the card until you are content. In all likelihood, all will be fine.

If the package does not arrive, I would stop payment on the cashier check. If you do receive the card and you discover the card is not authentic I would stop payment on the cashier check. If the card is not as described, I would stop payment on the cashier check. Fed Ex the card back to the seller and you are out three days of your valuable time and the cost of three Fed Ex packages. Good luck to you, Wesley

Old 01-20-2003, 08:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Charlie

My concern with the card is that the picture is not as clear as the other items the seller lists on ebay. All the other items are taken with a gray carpet background and the Hess card is not...it is blurry....almost like it could have been taken off a computer screen...I know you know your stuff...just being cautious and don't want you to get burned... take care...

Old 01-20-2003, 09:00 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the thoughts. I spoke with the seller a little while ago. I have his address and phone number. From our phone call I would guess him to be in his later 50's maybe early 60's. A very nice gentleman. He also offered to let Jay B. come pick it up in person but I don't think it's necessary. I feel very comfortable with the buy now. Again, for those that didn't seem to understand what I said all along.....I had already contacted the seller BEFORE the auction was over and was comfortable enough to bid on it...this whole string was really just a question for folks on the subject....and could have, and did, give some other good ideas on the situation....thanks again.....and best regards

Old 01-20-2003, 09:35 PM
Administrator

but this is the wrong time to think about that--and leon says he's going to pay, and has the guy's phone number, so that should be that.

I'd be intere4sted in knowing how it all turned out.

Leon, I really think it was gutsy of you to bid on that S.F. Hess (we hope). You really wanted one enough to take a chance. I mean, the things don't grow on trees, and you're a type collector. So congratulations, whether it's the real thing or whether it isn't!

Old 01-21-2003, 06:00 AM
Administrator

Posted By: runscott

"pooh"?!? Good luck on that card Leon. And thanks for the "auctionsniper" tip - it paid off big for me last night.

Old 01-21-2003, 10:37 AM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

The seller had low feedback, all in the area of books. They also happened to have a nice card I wanted. I emailed first, expressed my interest, and asked if they would let me send them a proper card holder and a Fed Ex package with my account info on it so they could send me the item that way. They were agreeable and I got the card.

I welcome it when someone wants to use their delivery service--saves me the trouble and eliminates any questions about my shipping methods.

Everyone started with a 0 feedback; it doesn't mean that they are dishonest, anymore than a high feedback means they are honest. If the seller will accept a reasonable method of payment and shipment, you have to say what the heck and do it, or don't bid in the first place.

Old 01-22-2003, 02:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

hi
would never spend this kind of money with a 0 feedback seller.i wouldnt even do it we a 25.

Old 01-22-2003, 05:02 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

I've never been a prolific bidder on EBay--too many disappointments, but I was stupidly up a tree when we had to chnage our e-mail address (which had been my EBay handle as well). I tried to enter my new e-mail address as a new EBay handle, but EBay wasn't having any funny squiggly marks anymore, like "@". (if you ALREADY had a "@" in your EBay handle, they'd let you keep it. What I should have done was KEEP my old EBAy handle, even though it wasn't my e-mail address anymore). So I started again at "0"! Several auctions said they wouldn't accept anyone with feedback num,ber below 10, so i had to give them TWO EBay names, "14520sjowall" and "rvognar01@home.com"--so they could see all --40?

It was only about a month ago, I wrote someone I'd purchased something from, asking for feedback "so I can get my star."

Old 01-28-2003, 12:23 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

Leon- Hopefully everything turned out fine. Regards, Wes

Old 01-28-2003, 03:01 PM
Administrator

He called today and said he put the card in the mail today....better follow up than most sellers so far......will update again as soon as I get it...(also made sure he got insurance)...best regards