NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 06-10-2016, 02:06 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Default Completed my '51 Bowman Braves run and made a display...

It was a lot of fun collecting the '51 Bowmans. As soon as I saw the cards I thought it would be super cool to have it as a display and that's what I did. I had purchased some pins awhile back and while shopping for the right frame I found the perfect frame for those and I made a display for that too.

Old 06-10-2016, 02:33 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

Beautiful display!
Old 06-10-2016, 02:38 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Awesome!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2016, 06:13 PM
Daniel Police

That's absolutely beautiful!
Old 06-10-2016, 06:29 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Thank you, to all of you. I'm very happy with it and now it's time to plan a new display. :-)
Old 06-10-2016, 06:50 PM
Al Richter

Default 1951

Very nice Ryan
Old 06-10-2016, 07:13 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Ryan, you make me want to do something similar with the Cardinals from that set. How do you have the cards positioned in the frame so that they don't slip?

Old 06-10-2016, 07:55 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagebaseballcardguy View Post
Ryan, you make me want to do something similar with the Cardinals from that set. How do you have the cards positioned in the frame so that they don't slip?

You're going to laugh, but it's just felt. I went out to this place that sold black felt, bought some, and glued it to the back board of the frame. As for the cards, I placed them face down on the glass, lined them up the way I wanted them, and carefully placed the back board of the frame on top. It took me a few tries to get it right, and the OCD part of me sees they aren't placed perfectly, but it still looks great.

If that's not your cup of tea, I'd suggest going with what are called "mounting corners". I got a package of them in clear and was gonna use them, but I tried this first and it worked well. They have adhesive on the back side so you shouldn't need any glue.

And the Cardinals with all the red, to go along with the sky blue and green grass is going to look amazing. I can't wait to see it.

P.S. None of these cards I got are mint, in fact they all have flaws, (I preferred it that way) so I didn't mind being as careless as I was with the way I placed them in the frame. If you have mint or near mint I imagine you would want to be more careful than I was.

P.P.S I'm trying to think of another set I can do. I wanna stay away from anything Topps because I'm already collecting Topps Braves cards. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not looking to go expensive.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:11 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightmanCometh View Post
You're going to laugh, but it's just felt. I went out to this place that sold black felt, bought some, and glued it to the back board of the frame. As for the cards, I placed them face down on the glass, lined them up the way I wanted them, and carefully placed the back board of the frame on top. It took me a few tries to get it right, and the OCD part of me sees they aren't placed perfectly, but it still looks great.

If that's not your cup of tea, I'd suggest going with what are called "mounting corners". I got a package of them in clear and was gonna use them, but I tried this first and it worked well. They have adhesive on the back side so you shouldn't need any glue.

And the Cardinals with all the red, to go along with the sky blue and green grass is going to look amazing. I can't wait to see it.

P.S. None of these cards I got are mint, in fact they all have flaws, (I preferred it that way) so I didn't mind being as careless as I was with the way I placed them in the frame. If you have mint or near mint I imagine you would want to be more careful than I was.

P.P.S I'm trying to think of another set I can do. I wanna stay away from anything Topps because I'm already collecting Topps Braves cards. Anyone have any suggestions? I'm not looking to go expensive.
Not at all, Ryan. The display looks nice. I might utilize Card Saver Is or toploaders in the frame with double sided tape or velcro perhaps. Either way, I am definitely not going to be buying anything terribly high grade.

In terms of next projects, you could go after '63 Fleer or earlier 1940s Bowman /Play Ball..

With your pins, I am assuming you just pinned them to the felt?

Old 06-10-2016, 08:13 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Oh, and I am not familiar with the mounting corners. I may have to give them a look if I ever get that far. Thanks for sharing.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:47 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Not at all, Ryan. The display looks nice. I might utilize Card Saver Is or toploaders in the frame with double sided tape or velcro perhaps. Either way, I am definitely not going to be buying anything terribly high grade.

In terms of next projects, you could go after '63 Fleer or earlier 1940s Bowman /Play Ball..

With your pins, I am assuming you just pinned them to the felt?

I thought about top loaders, but I always felt they were much to large for '51s and that would have meant a super large frame. Your welcome about the mounting corners. They're not all that expensive and they have adhesive on the back, so they should work great.

I like the '49 Bowmans. I'll look more into those. '63 Fleer are nice, but they look more like baseball cards than pieces of art, which the '51s definitely do look like little works of art.

I'm looking at '49 Bowmans. What's up with some having names on the front and others not?

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 06-10-2016 at 08:49 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:49 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
I thought about top loaders, but I always felt they were much to large for '51s and that would have meant a super large frame. Your welcome about the mounting corners. They're not all that expensive and they have adhesive on the back, so they should work great.

I like the '49 Bowmans. I'll look more into those. '63 Fleer are nice, but they look more like baseball cards than pieces of art, which the '51s definitely do look like little works of art.
There's always 1952 Bowman and 1953 Bowman Color.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:51 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

I'm with you though, those '51s are little pieces of art.

Old 06-10-2016, 08:53 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
There's always 1952 Bowman and 1953 Bowman Color.

You know, maybe I'll do a '50, '51, and '52 Bowman Braves run. I like the '53s, but those are photos where the other three are sketches.
Old 06-10-2016, 08:56 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
You know, maybe I'll do a '50, '51, and '52 Bowman Braves run. I like the '53s, but those are photos where the other three are sketches.
That's funny you said that because after my last post, I had the same thought. Those issues are hard to beat. I mean I like good photography, but the sketches grow on me as the years go by. I have thought about doing those years with the Cards and someone else like Cleveland.

Old 06-10-2016, 09:02 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
That's funny you said that because after my last post, I had the same thought. Those issues are hard to beat. I mean I like good photography, but the sketches grow on me as the years go by. I have thought about doing those years with the Cards and someone else like Cleveland.

Great minds think alike

It was a lot of fun getting the cards. I went in saying to myself I'm only going to get centered EXs and I did a pretty good job sticking to that. I'll do the same for the '50s and '52s. I think the wear over the years really makes it look like vintage art. If it was all NM it would look fake, at least it would to me.

You wouldn't happen to know why some of the '49s have names on them and others don't, do you?

Last edited by TheNightmanCometh; 06-10-2016 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:06 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Great minds think alike

It was a lot of fun getting the cards. I went in saying to myself I'm only going to get centered EXs and I did a pretty good job sticking to that. I'll do the same for the '50s and '52s. I think the wear over the years really makes it look like vintage art. If it was all NM it would look fake, at least it would to me.
I hear ya. I am a mid-grade collector all the way. These are affordable little projects with a definite end, which is good for someone like me.

Do have a relatively light free room to display these?

Old 06-10-2016, 09:10 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
I hear ya. I am a mid-grade collector all the way. These are affordable little projects with a definite end, which is good for someone like me.

Do have a relatively light free room to display these?

Ya, the room I have it in faces west and it's buttressed by a house, blocking the sun set. There's light in the room, but no direct sun light.

I have had comics framed in the same room for awhile now and there's been no fading, so I think I'm good.

Ya, I'm on a budget myself, so this was the perfect kind of project for my budget.
Old 06-10-2016, 09:17 PM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Ya, the room I have it in faces west and it's buttressed by a house, blocking the sun set. There's light in the room, but no direct sun light.

I have had comics framed in the same room for awhile now and there's been no fading, so I think I'm good.

Ya, I'm on a budget myself, so this was the perfect kind of project for my budget.
My room faces South. Next to no natural light. The lights in there aren't on much. To be safe, might get uv glass and the uv light bulbs. ...I know that isn't proper terminology but you get my drift.

Ryan, you've definitely got me thinking. At least this project won't get me the evil eye from the little lady. Might even pursue some pins like you did

Old 06-10-2016, 09:24 PM
C@rl P@rk

Quote:
It was a lot of fun collecting the '51 Bowmans. As soon as I saw the cards I thought it would be super cool to have it as a display and that's what I did. I had purchased some pins awhile back and while shopping for the right frame I found the perfect frame for those and I made a display for that too.

Nice work. Congrats!
Old 06-10-2016, 10:05 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Thanks
Old 06-11-2016, 07:55 AM
Drew Ekb@ck

I have made a few different displays and have tried different methods for showing cards. I agree with above poster that top loaders and card savers leave too much plastic showing.

I like mini snap tites. What I do is attach the base of the snaptite to the backer board with 3M command strips. You can adjust the positioning over and over without any sticky residue and take them off cleanly if you decide to in the future.

After the case back is in place I put in the cards then snap on the top they display the cards cleanly and give them protection. With some practice you can get the smaller cards from 50 through 52 Bowman centered in the cases. I will say that I also build the frames I use so I give a bit of depth from the glass to make room for the thicker cases. I you plan to use a standard store bought picture frame you will need to keep this in mind.

Another less expensive idea for the early Bowman cards is business card binder sheets. You can find them in any Staples type stores. They fit in three ring binders like card pages but are made to hold business cards. If you wanted to use them in a display case you could cut the individual pockets out to put the card in the, mount it with double stick tape or command strips used for posters. It would sort of be like putting the cards in penny sleeves that the cards fit perfectly in.

Anyway, just some thoughts on card display. You can see some of the displays I've build in my photo bucket. If you look at them I used the above method in my Red Heart set, Clementes as well as my Koufax display.

To the OP, very nice display. I really like the pins along with the cards. Keep us all posted on future projects. Sharing our stuff beyond the cards is what I really enjoy.

Good luck and thanks,
Drew
Old 06-11-2016, 08:24 AM
R0b3rt Ch!ld3rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I have made a few different displays and have tried different methods for showing cards. I agree with above poster that top loaders and card savers leave too much plastic showing.

I like mini snap tites. What I do is attach the base of the snaptite to the backer board with 3M command strips. You can adjust the positioning over and over without any sticky residue and take them off cleanly if you decide to in the future.

After the case back is in place I put in the cards then snap on the top they display the cards cleanly and give them protection. With some practice you can get the smaller cards from 50 through 52 Bowman centered in the cases. I will say that I also build the frames I use so I give a bit of depth from the glass to make room for the thicker cases. I you plan to use a standard store bought picture frame you will need to keep this in mind.

Another less expensive idea for the early Bowman cards is business card binder sheets. You can find them in any Staples type stores. They fit in three ring binders like card pages but are made to hold business cards. If you wanted to use them in a display case you could cut the individual pockets out to put the card in the, mount it with double stick tape or command strips used for posters. It would sort of be like putting the cards in penny sleeves that the cards fit perfectly in.

Anyway, just some thoughts on card display. You can see some of the displays I've build in my photo bucket. If you look at them I used the above method in my Red Heart set, Clementes as well as my Koufax display.

To the OP, very nice display. I really like the pins along with the cards. Keep us all posted on future projects. Sharing our stuff beyond the cards is what I really enjoy.

Good luck and thanks,
Drew
Drew, good call on the mini snap tites. I didn't know they existed. Thanks for the tip. They would take up a lot less room.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:08 PM
Ryan Waggoner

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post

Good luck and thanks,
Drew
Thanks for the compliment and will do! I have 10 1949 Japanese cards that I'm going to put into a frame soon; I'll definitely make sure to post it.