NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Basketball / Cricket / Tennis Cards Forum

Old 09-10-2017, 08:04 AM

Default C55 / C56 Hockey

Out of these two sets, which would you recommend? It seems like the star power is slightly better with the 11-12 C55 (Vezina RC, Malone etc.) plus from the research I've found, they are a little easier to find than the 10-11 C56's.

However, I do like the looks of the 10-11 C56's, kind of reminds me of T206's, appearance wise. Anybody collect one of these sets/ or both?, what do you think of them?

Seems like interesting cards to collect (If you're into Hockey, of course)

I was venturing into some low grade Post war hockey 50's Parkhurst, Topps etc., but the C55/C56 cards have really grabbed my attention.

Last edited by jasonc; 09-10-2017 at 08:06 AM.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:29 AM
Jeff

Can't go wrong with either set. Keep in mind if you're going for the C55 set you'll need the Vezina RC and that goes for big dollars!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1910 C56 Horace Gaul PSA 3.jpg (75.1 KB, 210 views)
File Type: jpg 1911 C55 Ernest Russell PSA 4.5.jpg (77.7 KB, 211 views)
File Type: jpg 1911 C55 Steve Vair PSA 4.5.jpg (78.0 KB, 211 views)

Always looking for interesting pre-war baseball & hockey postcards!
Old 09-10-2017, 02:48 PM
Ran-jodh Dh.ill0n

I've been collecting hockey cards nearly my whole life.

There are two things that just bother me about the C55 set:

1) They were drawn up by an artist and appear too cartoonish for me.

2) If you collect rookies, then it is not that big of a set. The Vezina RC is probably the biggest reason why a lot of collectors get drawn to these cards. The Malone RC is the other big one, but the sad part is a majority of hockey fans don't even know who he was! It's an undervalued card, IMO.

Now the C56 set is one of my favorites. It is the first hockey set ever issued and is loaded with rookies of HOFer's, such as Cyclone Taylor, Art Ross (2x), Newsy Lalonde, Patrick brothers and more. Yes, they are more difficult to track down, especially in higher grade, but that is what separates them from the C55 cards. Furthermore, I think they have far better eye-appeal.
Old 09-15-2017, 01:43 PM
Bob Davies

Quote:
Originally Posted by samosa4u View Post
I've been collecting hockey cards nearly my whole life.
The Malone RC is the other big one, but the sad part is a majority of hockey fans don't even know who he was! It's an undervalued card, IMO.
OMG I laughed when I read this. I have several friends who are "big hockey fans" out here in Western Canada. Several I play with in a semi-competitive league. They follow the Flames, Oilers, Canucks, whoever. Some have season tickets to the Flames here (like myself).

Now I laughed with your Joe Malone reference. About a week ago I mentioned grabbing a Joe Malone card to one friend in particular (who kinda knows everything). He said "I never heard of him". Another guy I play with, I mentioned in the dressing room that I picked up an Art Ross card. He also said "Who is that?". I said "There's a trophy named after him", where the rest of the guys chuckled.

Finally I went up to Edmonton to last year for a card show. The night I got there, I had beers with a buddy who has Oilers seasons tickets. He is 38 years old, and "loves hockey". I told him I was "gonna snag a Bernie Parent autograph tomorrow." He said "Who's that?"

I find it just sad that people who are "hard core fans" have never done any reading of hockey (or baseball, football) history, and have no idea who some of the greats are.

Last edited by Stampsfan; 09-15-2017 at 01:43 PM.
Old 11-02-2017, 12:34 PM
nels0n aud.et

I also collect simce 1990. I always be more interested bu c55 because georges vezina is
Born and buried in my city. But with the years of collecting my attention moved also to c56. A lot of rc amd so hard to find in high grade.

Here in canada almost everyone dont know about prewar p'ayers hofer.
Old 11-03-2017, 02:32 PM
Ian Penistone

Default Either or

I find both sets very attractive. I have been acquiring any cards from both sets for the past 15 years or so in the UK. To date I have 11 C55 and 2 C56. The two 56 cards are Lester Patrick and the other is no 36 Lalonde. I also have gone for the hockey players in the itc lacrosse set. In doing so I have ended up with approx 120 lacrosse cards from the 3 itc sets.

If I was pushed it would be the C56 but only by a thin margin. Which ever you choose I am sure you will enjoy the chase
Old 11-29-2017, 09:17 AM

First post here... :-)

I own both set, the C55 and C56... I prefer a lot more the C55 because of the work that was put in it and bright colors... From what I know, it seem that the C55 should had been the first set but it took so much time to design and create the printing stone that Imperial tobacco had to put together the C56 set quickly to meet some the distribution dateline. You can see the difference in the quality of the work...

BTW I have full c56 set to sale on Ebay right now... :-)

Regards
Francis
Old 12-01-2017, 01:57 AM

Welcome Francis!

Yes, it seems like I'm really leaning towards the C55; have about 10 of them so far (all commons.) I have them in a 15 pocket tobacco page, and they really look good grouped together.
Old 12-01-2017, 06:00 AM

Jason,

Yes they look together ... Here picture of set... 50% have been since I took it...

c55_final.jpg