NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-19-2010, 04:15 PM

Default E222 Inquiry

Dear Net54 Members,

I am brand-spanking new to this board as a member, but have been collecting pre-war baseball cards since 1985, with a special interest in 1909-12 issues. Having recently moved to the Central Virginia area, the elusive E222 set is becoming a new interest for me, and I'd like to dig deeper and write an article on the set.

Leon Luckey suggested throwing out a thread here to start, and see if anyone has an interest in the dialogue.

There are obvious things that need to be touched on, such as knowledge of the A.W.H. and A.W.A. Caramel companies, as well as Fulton Press, which I'm assuming was out of the Fulton Hill district of Richmond. Also, knowledge of the Virginia State League.

I'm just starting out, but am willing to follow up on leads. I've never owned or seen on of these cards in person, but welcome responses from anyone who has any knowledge at all about the set, whether it be someone who owns one of the cards or who has been privy to experience a find or whatnot.

Any and all dialogue is appreciated. If you want to email me offline to see my credentials as a journalist, or get article samples or links to my books, let me know.

Thanks in advance.

Brian Chidester
Old 01-19-2010, 04:24 PM
Jon Canfield

Brian,

Don't have any info but I wish you best in your endeavor. I was an underbidder on the lot of 4 that sold on eBay probably 4 years ago...

- Jon
Old 01-19-2010, 04:28 PM

Hi Jon,

I vaguely remember the auction being discussed here, as I've read things on Net54 over the years (mostly pertaining to T206, T213 and T215), and have since gone back and re-read that old thread. Martin Neal, who lives nearby was telling me about that find last week. It was auctioned by an eBay consigner who got the cards from an elderly gent in Lynchburg, VA.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:45 PM
Jon Canfield

Thats correct - I believe Dave Levin won them and can be seen on his site here:
https://www.gfg.com/baseball/e222.shtml

Last edited by canjond; 01-19-2010 at 04:45 PM.
Old 01-19-2010, 04:56 PM
Tim

Brian -

First off Welcome to Net54, secondly Welcome to Central VA (I live in Chesterfield.)

I know of another board member that lives in VA and picked up an E222 just a few months ago at a show in VA. I'll send him an email and point him to the thread.
Old 01-19-2010, 10:05 PM
Val Kehl

Default Hi Brian - Welcome to the Old Dominion!

Hope you settled in Wahoo country (as opposed to Hokie country)! Go Wahoos!

I'm the collector Tim referred to who picked up an E222 (in poor cond.) at the last Chantilly, VA show. If you use the Net54 search function, you will readily find my recent posting with pics of this card. I heard third-hand that this card came from the collection of a long-time collector/dealer who passed away last year and who, coincidentally, also lived in Lynchburg. I have one other E222 card - Hooker of the Lynchburg team - see pics below (taken with a digital camera, as I don't have a scanner - sorry about the glare from the card holder).

In addition to the 4 cards Levin acquired, have you seen Leon's 4 cards (including the only known AWA card)? If not, his collection is available for viewing via the "VINTAGE LINKS" section of Net54. These 10 AWH/AWA cards are the only examples I have ever seen.

Good luck with your research project. Unfortunately, I can't provide you with any specific info re this set or the company whose advertising they bear. But, I look forward to learning the results of your research. Actually, I have thought about doing some E222 research myself, but my big problem is procrastination! I'm ashamed to admit that I still haven't done the computerized inventory of my collection that I promised myself I would find time to do after I retired 2 years ago!

If you like, I'll be happy to show you my E222s in person when you attend (notice I didn't say "if"!!) the next Chantilly Show at the end of March. Usually, I only attend the Show on Friday (free admission day), but I could meet you on Sat. or Sunday, as I live only a few miles from the Show. Kindly send me an email if you wish to do this.

Val Kehl, Centreville, VA, ekehl333@aol.com
Attached Images
File Type: jpg E222Hooker-Front#1.JPG (64.9 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg E222Hooker-Back.JPG (49.2 KB, 380 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 06:21 AM
Jim R

Default Val

actually I am pretty sure there are 2 other members that own e222s besides you and Leon. I think the board members can come up with at least 15 cards with some of them having the same player on it but maybe a different back.

GREAT HOOKER- I have graet trade bait if you want to trade your beater e222-

Last edited by cfc1909; 01-20-2010 at 06:22 AM. Reason: comment on Hooker
Old 01-20-2010, 06:57 AM

Hi Val, Jim and Tim,

Thanks for the follow-up replies. Every now and then I read about a good story that instills some kind of fascination, mystery or emotion, and try to follow it. For us hobbyists, those fascinations lead to great collections, but in the case of something like the E222 set, they are so scarce and (at times) cost-prohibitive, the best way to go about quelling that sense of mystery might be to write an article.

I don't expect there will be a big market for the article or some huge financial payoff. So I hope no one who was expecting to do research themselves would feel like it might inhibit my (potential) article. To the contrary. All research on this elusive set is great. I'll share my notes here as they come along, as well.

Brian
Old 01-20-2010, 08:54 AM

Can't help w/ info, but here's mine (can get you a better scan if you want it):

E222.jpg
Old 01-20-2010, 11:45 AM
Bruce Babcock

Default a common hooker

Old 01-20-2010, 04:47 PM
Tim

Is have 12 players shown for the checklist, is that the most current number?
Old 01-20-2010, 04:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abravefan11 View Post
Is have 12 players shown for the checklist, is that the most current number?
yes
Old 01-20-2010, 06:27 PM
T0dd M@rcum

Default Welcome

Brian, there have been some great finds out of Central VA...a few years ago I found a Magie error which I brokered for the owner...I have heard of an old house that was being remodeled there and the owners found about 100 packs of piedmonts that had been thrown up there by the original carpenters...the cigs had long been smoked, but the cards were still there. Paul Pollard was a great collector and he lived there. I also got an Mayo Anson (creased, but what the heck) out of the 'burg. I live in Roanoke but still do work there pretty often.
Old 01-20-2010, 08:33 PM
Val Kehl

Jim - It was not my intent to imply that there weren't other Board members who have E222s - sorry if my post gave this impression. Yes, I could possibly be enticed to trade my beater E222 - I'll email you.

Glen - I would love to see a scan of the back of your Titman card. Seeing yours reminds me that I have also seen a Titman in another Board member's collection.

The E222s fascinate me because of (1) the different typography on the backs, (2) the different ink colors used to print the backs, and (3) the different colors used on the fronts for the same players - for example, compare my Hooker card (gray/black) to Bruce's Hooker card (red/orange).
Old 01-20-2010, 08:40 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default ok, fine

Ok...I guess I will show mine, for the thousandth time and because this thread is about them....I am sure there are many folks, at least 1-2 I know of, that have more....but I do like to see them when I can. They are so rare....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pe222awa.jpg (76.2 KB, 251 views)
File Type: jpg pe222awhx3.jpg (78.2 KB, 249 views)
Old 01-20-2010, 09:04 PM
Val Kehl

Leon - I'm aware that your McCauley is the only known E222 with an AWA back, and I believe yours is the only example known to exist -right? But, do you know if there are known to be any McCauley cards with an AWH back in existence?
Val

Last edited by ValKehl; 01-20-2010 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:14 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default as far as I know

Quote:
Originally Posted by ValKehl View Post
Leon - I'm aware that your McCauley is the only known E222 with an AWA back, and I believe yours is the only example known to exist -right? But, do you know if there are known to be any McCauley cards with an AWH back in existence?
Val
Hi Val
As far as I know it's the only AWA back known. I haven't seen other McCauleys but I am fairly sure they are out there.
Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM
Tim

A few things for what they're worth.

The players team associations are from the 1909 season. Six of the twelve didn't play in the league in 1910.

Two of the players switched teams during the 1909 season. Leon posted both cards above.

Pat McCauley started the year with Portsmouth and sometime between the last week of June and the first week of August he moved to Norfolk. Yet he's designated as Portsmouth in the set.

Arthur Smith was traded on July 18, 1909 from Richmond to Lynchburg and he is shown as Lynchburg in the set.

Interesting that both players switched teams around the same time during the season yet one shows the team he started with and the other shows the team he finished with. And both McCauley and Smith moved to Bridgeport in 1910.

Edited to add: I figured out the above on my own and it was probably obvious to most of you. The McCauley image was taken from the T206 set explaining the team change not being noted as it is on the Smith.

Last edited by Abravefan11; 01-23-2010 at 03:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2010, 03:08 PM

Who are the twelve players? I have scans of ten players... again, I own none of these myself.

Guiheen, Portsmouth
Hooker, Lynchburg
Ison, Richmond
McCauley, Portsmouth
Otey, Norfolk
Revelle, Richmond
Ryan, Roanoke
Sieber, Richmond
Smith, Lynchburg
Titman, Richmond
Old 01-23-2010, 03:15 PM
Jim R

Shaughnessy is one you are missing
Old 01-23-2010, 03:22 PM
Tim

Perry Lipe - Richmond Colts
Old 01-23-2010, 04:26 PM

Tim,

Do you have the Lipe card? Or have scan of one?

RE: Shaughnessy... I can't believe I missed that one! Heh! I had the scan right in front of me.

Thanks guys.
Old 01-23-2010, 10:09 PM
Tim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian-Chidester View Post
Tim,

Do you have the Lipe card? Or have scan of one?
No. The Lipe card is one I have not seen.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:08 AM
Seth

What does AWH stand for? Sorry if the answer is obvious.
Old 01-24-2010, 09:52 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Awh?

Seth, the answer is not obvious and I don't think anyone knows (that I am aware of) what it stands for. Great question and something that continues to make collecting fun. There is so much we still don't know.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:04 AM

Back of Titman:

e222_bk_sm.jpg
Old 01-26-2010, 11:18 AM
pete ullman

there seem to be many different back variations...which seems odd for such a small...scarce set?