NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-14-2012, 08:30 AM
$teve O.

Default Sports Collectors Digest Grading Question

The other day I picked up some cards,one was a modern card graded by
Sports Collectors Digest.I didn't know they graded cards.I was wondering if they still graded cards? Also how accurate are they?Does anyone have any info on them? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:19 PM
Patrick N.

Default My

My understanding is that SCD hasn't graded cards for quite some time (several years) but when they did, they were pretty accurate.

Last edited by mintacular; 01-14-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Old 01-14-2012, 08:29 PM
$teve O.

Thanks Patrick! I never knew they graded cards.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:00 PM
Bob Lemke

You have to be careful to differentiate between the "original" SCD graded cards, which have the real SCD logo in a red oval, and the "second generation" slabs which have the logo in blue on silver. The second generation slabs were made after SCD sold out of its grading division, probably close to 10 years ago.

The original (red logo) SCD graded cards very conservatively and most will cross to modern PSA or SGC slabs . . . if you crack them out before submitting.

Link to my custom cards gallery:
http://tinyurl.com/customcards
Old 01-17-2012, 02:03 PM
$teve O.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Lemke View Post
You have to be careful to differentiate between the "original" SCD graded cards, which have the real SCD logo in a red oval, and the "second generation" slabs which have the logo in blue on silver. The second generation slabs were made after SCD sold out of its grading division, probably close to 10 years ago.

The original (red logo) SCD graded cards very conservatively and most will cross to modern PSA or SGC slabs . . . if you crack them out before submitting.
Thanks Bob!This one has the red oval.On the back it has 3 catagories on the left top:centering,corners/edges,surface with the numbers behind them.Is the "second generation" still grading?
Old 01-18-2012, 09:16 AM
Rich Klein

Default You should be fine with the red oval

Regards

Rich
Old 01-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Jim

Does anyone know why SCD got out of the grading business?

Jim
Old 01-18-2012, 02:17 PM
Ni,ck Miku.licich Jr

Default From what I heard back at the time

They apparently were not profitable in their grading operation - not enough cards were being submitted to justify the salaries and other costs.

Nick
Old 01-18-2012, 03:01 PM
Bob Lemke

That's it exactly. Then-publisher Steve Ellingboe petitioned the company to start a grading service not long after PSA debuted. Ownership dragged their feet until Beckett got into the gaem. By that time Steve was gone and the whole idea of going up against both PSA and BGS should have been scrapped.

Old 01-19-2012, 11:28 AM
Jim

Good info.

Does anyone know the back story of the blue label SCD company?
I see them on ebay with the blue sports cards direct label. Sounds like they tried to man a sinking ship.

Jim
Old 01-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Bob Lemke

I wasn't involved in the sale, but I know they bought one of SCD's two slabbing machines, all of its unused plastic, etc. I think they created the blue label in similitude to the original red SCD label to try to ride the coattails.

Old 03-13-2012, 04:24 PM

Default SCD Grading

A little late to the game on this one but I thought I would mention that I had great success when I crossed over my SCD red labels to PSA. They graded very well in my opinion and were particularly harsh on back centering on some of the cards I had.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:05 PM
Charlie

I also had success with the Red Label SCD on cracking out and submitting to either PSA or SGC. Usually the same or a little higher. Also tried a couple of the newer Blue and found trimmed cards. Stopped that quick..........

Charlie
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 AM

Default 50's cards look great in old SCD holders

'' Buy the holder , not the card '' IMO
Old 03-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Al Richter

Default 57 & 58

Great cards Mike, whatever the holder
Old 03-19-2012, 02:13 PM
Dean C.

The Net54 forum has been very educational, and I appreciate everyone's thoughtful comments. This particular thread, for instance, helped me enormously! I don't usually buy slabbed cards -- only when I'm desperate for a particular card -- but now I know that the old red-labeled SCD slabs are reliable. And it's true what others have already said -- the SCD graders were very conservative in their numbers. I recently picked up a couple cards on eBay that were red-SCD slabbed (only after reading this thread), and I have NOT been disappointed at all! In fact, I would even say that if I were to have the cards reslabbed (which I'm not), they'd get AT LEAST the same grade from PSA, if not higher. And I can say this because I've bought my share of PSA-slabbed cards as well. So again, thanks to all!