NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 09-25-2016, 08:14 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

Default Great afternoon with Hank Aaron

Each year for the past sixteen, the Milwaukee Brewers Community Foundation has hosted the Hammer as a fundraiser for his Chasing the Dream Foundation. I was able to attend yesterday and can't say enough good things about it.

Will tell about the experience here through pictures...

The event was in the Aaron-Yount meeting room at Miller Park (Brewers Stadium). Pretty fancy place...

There was a nice buffet set up for all of us. Carving station, antipasti, desserts, etc. And some nice Hank decor!

After reps from each foundation spoke, the night's emcee took over. (And speaking of Mr. Great Seats himself, I ended up with the best seat in the house.)

Mr. Aaron told a few stories and took some questions from the crowd, myself included.

After the Q&A we all got to shake hands and take a picture with him!

For our "troubles," the Brewers also gave us autographed souvenirs.

And great seats to the Brewers/Reds game that night. The game didn't have many highlights but this got the crowd cheering!!

And on my way out, I paid tribute at a couple other Hank Aaron landmarks.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 09-26-2016, 06:17 AM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

That is awesome Jason!! Congrats, looks like you had a lot of fun and some great memories!

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 09-26-2016, 07:29 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Very cool, Jason. It looks like you had a very memorable time. Thanks for sharing..
Old 09-26-2016, 05:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Wow! That sounds like quite the experience!

Way to go!
Old 09-26-2016, 07:48 PM
Duane Clark

Jason,

Looks like you had a great time.

Isn't it great when you meet a player you admire and they are happy to spend time with their fans?

By the way, nice jersey!!!

Thanks for sharing.

Duane
Old 09-27-2016, 07:04 AM
Jason A. Schwartz

Thanks, guys. Really an amazing experience. What got me back into collecting a couple years back was going through some extremely tough times, rifling through the 10 or so Hank Aaron cards I'd had from 25+ years ago, and remembering my childhood goal of someday collecting his whole career.

Well here I am now, after some effective cardboard therapy, able to say Mission Accomplished and doing much, much better in my life.

Collecting interests and want lists at https://jasoncards.wordpress.com/201...nd-want-lists/
Old 09-27-2016, 08:35 AM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason.1969 View Post
Thanks, guys. Really an amazing experience. What got me back into collecting a couple years back was going through some extremely tough times, rifling through the 10 or so Hank Aaron cards I'd had from 25+ years ago, and remembering my childhood goal of someday collecting his whole career.

Well here I am now, after some effective cardboard therapy, able to say Mission Accomplished and doing much, much better in my life.

Jason- What a wonderful collection & great memories. Mr. Aaron is one of few who is very much worthy of hero-worship and I commend you on your choice.

As a life-long GA resident, I have proudly been a Braves fan from day 1 (1966) and Hank has always been a big factor.

-Raymond

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 09-27-2016, 02:50 PM
And.rew Whi.te

I never knew about this and I live 50 minutes away from Miller Park. Do you get on the mailing list for these events or does a donation to the charity automatically get you emailed invites to these events?

Looks like you had a great time!
Old 09-27-2016, 03:41 PM
Jason A. Schwartz

The event is only advertised on the Brewers Community Foundation events page, which is here: Brewers Community Foundation Events | Milwaukee Brewers
http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/mil...ion/events.jsp

Since the start of the baseball season, the Aaron event was listed as TBD with no real info. Being a pest, I kept writing to them every couple weeks until someone there said something like, "Check the website REALLY soon, and keep the weekend of Sept 24 open."

In addition to checking daily from that point, I also created a Google alert. About a week later, all the details were posted on the website.

I have to imagine there are better ways for them to get the word out, but when an event sells out every year with no advertising, maybe if it ain't broke...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Old 09-28-2016, 09:08 AM

Congrats, looks like it was amazing!
Old 09-28-2016, 10:38 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Looks like a blast!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 09-28-2016, 09:35 PM
Bill Gregory

I am really jealous, Jason. So cool!

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.