NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 11-10-2007, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Default Show your vintage press photos

Posted By: David R

I posted this in the boxing section too but I thought the non-boxing folks who don't check that section might also enjoy it.

Ruth and Dempsey sparring.

Old 11-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

When I was a teenager, my dad and I agreed that if we ever to have a real boxing match, the first person to land a punch would win. My cousin was a Golden Gloves champion. He won the title without fighting, as his to be opponent broke his nose in the other semi-final fight and wasn't allowed to fight.

1930s Chicago Cubs chewing tobacco

Hack Wilson with his same named wagons.

Old 11-10-2007, 01:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Love that photo of Hack with those wagons. Has anyone ever seen one of those wagons?

Here's Dick Stuart in Lincoln 1956
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Grover Alexander the day he found out he was to be inducted into the HoF.

Old 11-10-2007, 02:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

I have so many vintage wire photos but I cant find a way to size them down. For now Joe Croninhttp://www.network54.com/Realm/tmp/1194648285.JPG

Old 11-10-2007, 02:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Al Simeone

Try again!

Old 11-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris D

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

not baseball but i think there pretty neat

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I think this is a great area of collecting and some of the photos are breathtaking.

Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Eddie Collins...

Old 11-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Administrator

I love that Max Patkin. I played minor league baseball in the Midwest League in 1989 and he was still doing games then.

Old 11-11-2007, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Rob Dewolf

Hey David,

Not to hijack the thread, but where did you play? I was with Beloit in '85. (If you tell me you played for Clinton, I'll recommend you for some retroactive hazard pay. Man, I hated going there. No offense to any Iowans on the board.)

Rob

Old 11-11-2007, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Rob, I'm curious as to why Clinton was "Hazardous". They have a long history of minor league teams...I've never been there, but I've also never heard anything bad about that town.

Here's a couple of Clinton Owls team signed baseballs from 1936/1937 (the first two going left to right)

Old 11-11-2007, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Rob,

I pitched in 1989 and 1990 in Burlington, which at the time was a Braves affiliate. Beloit was a Brewers affiliate when I played. I never really liked that park. As I recall, you had to run across some playgrounds or recreation center to get from the locker room to the field. Not as bad as Clinton though. Clinton always had an odd smell to me -- maybe soybeans -- I was never sure. My Beloit highlight is that I struck out Dale Sveum, who was at Beloit rehabilitating from some injury.

David R.

Old 11-12-2007, 10:42 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

Bain News Service - from 1913. One of my favorite images. I think he took 5 pics this day, and one day I'll have all 5.

So the Bain News Service marks on the back make it a press photo, right? Seriously. I don't know even these simplest of things. Does it have to have the typed taped caption added to be a press photo, or is just being id'd as from a news service sufficient? I think there's some kind of specific terminology that goes with these things - wire photo, etc - and I don't know exactly what the terms mean.

Joann

Old 11-12-2007, 11:52 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Joann there is a variety of names to describe these types of photos, and there isn't always a set in stone rule which term you can use. You could call yours a news service photo (photo by a news service like Bain, AP, UPI). Press photo, which you could also use if you wish, has a duel meaning in the hobby. It can mean a photo related to the press (news service, newspaper, magazine), but is often also used to specifically mean a photo a movie studio, television studio or music label sent to the press to promote an album, movie or show. You can also simply call it as you see it and say it's an original photo from George Grantham Bain (as is stamped on back). Amongst Pre-War baseball photo collectors, the NYC photographer George Grantham Bain and his Bain News Service, are well known. You can pick any of those terms.

When I wrote a photography book and had a need to label the entire genre of photos, I called them "Press and Publishing Photos." The means photos made by, for or otherwise used by the press and publishing. Publishing can include newspapers, magazines, books, ad in magazines, etc. The press includes newspapers, magazines, televsion, etc. Within the large umbrella of 'press and publishing photos' are more specific and often self-explanitory areas: news service photos (photos by AP, UPI, etc), magazine photos (photos shot for Vogue or Sports Illustrated), movie studio press photos (photo of Greta Garbo sent by MGM to magazines), newspaper photos (photo shot be or otherwised used by a newspaper). As many newspapers, magazines and movie studios hired famous photographers, from George Hurrell to to Charles Conlon, many of the photos are first generation originals by famous people and can fetch high prices. Many of these photos will have both the stamp of the photographer and the organization he or she worked for. The Hurrell photo or Greta Garbo will often have both Hurrell's stamp and the MGM stamp-- meaning Hurrell shot the photo for the MGM movie studio. Charles Conlon's photos typically have both his name and the name of the newspaper he photographed for. As with Conlon, many of these originals are also signed on back by the photographer.

Below is an example of the stamp on an original magazine photograph by a famous photographer. It includes the stamp of Conde Nast (publisher of Vogue and Harper's Bazzar), the photographer ("Horst") and the date. The stamping helps show this is a photo shot for a magazine publisher (thus, a magazine photo) in 1942 by the German photographer Horst P. Horst. As the deceased Horst is world famous, and was director of Vogue's Paris photography studio, this photo will attract attention if offered for sale.

And the below stamp lists Charles Conlon, the New York Evening Telegraph newspaper and has Conlon's pencil signature.

Old 11-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Theberge

I'm pretty ignorant on what constitutes a press photo.

Picked this up a year and a half ago for twenty bucks. Thought it was a good deal. Would this be considered a press photo? There are many photos I've seen with cropped/cut corners. What was the purpose of this?

and a Paul Thompson photo of Ray Collins

Old 11-12-2007, 03:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Clint

Ty Cobb and Gabby Street at a bowling tournament. Carl Mays in windup.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Probably not too many copies of this photo out there since this guy only played one game in the major leagues. August 5, 1907. Sam Hope.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:31 PM
Administrator

Old 11-12-2007, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

In case you guys are not aware, both of your photos of Hope and Eddie Collins were done by the gilliams Press SYndicate which actually pre-dates the Bain News Service by a few years. Photos from this company are always a cross between real images and cartoons in their appearance and are pretty rare although they do not get the same prices and esteem of the Bain images. I have seen Gilliams Syndicate photos dating back as far as 1905 and the earliest Bain images I have seen are 1908.

Rhys Yeakley

Old 11-12-2007, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Thanks Rhys! I didn't figure my Hope photo was worth much since I picked it up off of ebay for 99 cents from Jay Perrino, but I liked the fact that this guy was a one game major leaguer.

Old 11-12-2007, 08:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joann

David,

Thank you so much for your detailed and, as always, educational response. I like it when I find out that the reason I don't know something for sure is because there is no "for sure" answer. (Believe me, this happens in school all the time.) I knew my photo had something to do with news services and publications, but wasn't sure if "press photo" was a targeted and technical term that doesn't apply to the one I have.

I actually read a lot of your website on these things when I first got it, just to try to give myself some context for it. Great site and great resource.

Thx again.

J

Oh - and also to Rhys - who I got the photo from.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: paulstratton

Thanks for the info Rhys. I picked it up because it had that cartoon look you were describing.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:26 PM
Administrator