NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Boxing / Wrestling Cards & Memorabilia Forum

Old 08-05-2009, 12:08 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default new (1949) boxing card found- Page Milk Company

Anyone ever see any of these before? I got it from a board member at the National. They are uncataloged as of now....there are some baseball players too.....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sfuncpagesmilklouis.jpg (72.1 KB, 128 views)
Old 08-05-2009, 01:22 PM
Murr the Blurr

Default Bond Bread ....

Leon –

I believe the Louis is a 1947 Homogenized Bond Bread card, from a cataloged set that includes 44 baseball players and 4 fighters (Louis, Primo Carnera, Jake LaMotta and Marcel Cerdan). They are blank-backed and printed on thin stock with rounded corners. I have seen other versions of Louis and Carnera with different "sponsor" stamps on the back, which would suggest they were used as giveaways or premiums for grocery stores, etc. Some of the cards were reprinted with square corners and sold in boxed sets in the mid-1950s. While the genuine round-cornered '47 boxers are not uncommon, in good shape they usually in the $25-$45 range. The reprints from the '50s flooded the market a few years ago thanks to a massive warehouse find and are worth considerably less. Hope this helps.
Old 08-05-2009, 02:52 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default thanks much!!

Thanks WriteHooks.

As I was speaking with the SGC guys about what to put on the slabs we spoke about the fact that the mfg's didn't actually "make" the cards. In other words we know Bond Bread didn't mfg the piece of cardboard that they distributed. For that fact we don't believe these should be catalogued as D305. I am well aware of the Bond Bread issue, rounded vs. square corners. SGC won't encapsulate the square ones because of exactly what you said, all of the fakes/reprints. With this header card as provenance we believe these correctly should be labeled "Page Milk Company" cards. I am always open to friendly debate about these issues and this is exactly what still keeps the hobby fun for me. I also have some baseball players and they too have the stamps on back and have been encapsulated. best regards
Old 08-24-2009, 08:27 PM
Carl Lamendola

I've seen them before in an old-timer notebook. He had about handful,they were blank-backed. I remember the rounded corners. I guess I was mesmorized by the pages of high grade Pet Cigarette boxing cards and T226 Red Suns and didn't pay too much attention to those. I like to offer card - its really neat. Good find !!

Last edited by clamendo; 08-24-2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 03:16 PM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Here are the fronts of all four cards. Note that Carnera wasn't really a boxer by this time but was a wrestler.

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...