NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 08-06-2013, 12:36 PM
pete ullman

Default Improvements to the N'atl

Sorry for yet another "National" thread...BUT...I was thinking of an idea that I thought would be good at the nat'l for the future. Whether it's feasible or not...who knows...but here goes.

I'd hear occasional announcements on the PA for various things. IT'd be awesome if there were a way to announce a certain card that someone was looking for on the PA. And I realise that there would have to be restrictions somehow as it'd be really annoying if there were constant announcements for pedestrian cards. Maybe only for rarities?

Then the dealers...hopefully would hear this...or maybe it could be texted to their cell phones and respond. The announcements would have to be few...maybe raffled or dispersed in some rational way.

I think this could stimulate sales and interactions between buyer and seller.

Is this just a stupid idea or what?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:41 PM

Default National

Pete, the political pins community does something a bit different but none the less fun and exciting. They have a person that is on a stool and describes what he has and then accepts bids on it. About 20 - 40 people stand around him and bid on the item. An impromptu live auction basically.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:44 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

It is an interesting foundation for an idea. To help regulate it I think you would have to put your money down saying I am willing to pay this much for this card in this condition and if a dealer can provide the card at that price then it should be considered a done deal. That would stop a lot of random searches.

Maybe a few stock tickers planted through the place with the information scrolling?
Old 08-06-2013, 12:46 PM

An app would work best where there can with a buyer and seller area.
Old 08-06-2013, 12:53 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttapercha View Post
The issue with an app is the assumption that all people use devices with apps. I don't use any devices with apps.

Edited to add: Apps would help greatly for those that have it and could still be an idea, I was only pointing out that it wouldn't benefit everyone.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 08-06-2013 at 12:54 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:01 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn2cardz View Post
The issue with an app is the assumption that all people use devices with apps. I don't use any devices with apps.

Edited to add: Apps would help greatly for those that have it and could still be an idea, I was only pointing out that it wouldn't benefit everyone.
The app is the PA system. It works for everyone except those few collectors who are deaf....
Old 08-06-2013, 01:06 PM
Jason S!m@nds

I was thinking about this the other day (well something similar). What if a month or two before the National attendees submit a "wantlist" to the event organizers. The organizers then distribute the collective wantlists to the dealers. The dealers hopefully will recieve the list a couple weeks before the national and inform the organizers what they will bring on said list and, for a nominal fee, attendees can purchase back their lists with the location of the items they're looking for.

It's a win-win-win.

Last edited by jhs5120; 08-06-2013 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:29 PM
Mark

Personally I wouldn't want things shouted over the PA. It's real distracting. Saturday morning I was near the Upper Deck booth when their annoying girl started screaming out endless winners from the expired redemption promotion. Finally other dealers had enough as well and had the officials shut her off.

It's hard to carry on conversations when others are blaring their news to the masses.
Old 08-06-2013, 01:34 PM
pete ullman

Some good ideas guys. I agree the blaring PA of the card companies was annoying but maybe it was their crappy PA or annoying screechy voices.

Maybe have an announcement every 15 minutes...or 1/2 hour...or hour..."Attention...does anyone have an old judge scrappy carrol left leg showing card(I made this up)...any condition. If so pls reply with table #...we've got a motivated buyer!"

Something along these lines?!

I like the idea of a text. If dealer is so antequated as not to receive texts...that's their problem.

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-06-2013 at 01:44 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:11 PM
And.rew Mil.ler

I really like the idea of an app. I understand there are some without access but I think the majority have and use frequently devices which would allow an already good experience to be augmented; it's not 1989...
Old 08-06-2013, 02:14 PM
Scott S

Default How bout this....

There is one line for someone who wants to use "a personal buyer" at the National.

The "personal buyer" is one person who has real time access to a message board where a group of dealers are located (here for instance).

The dealers would respond within a few minutes if they had the card this specific buyer was looking for. Set the minimum value card to be searched at around $250. If someone is serious enough, they will wait in line for this service and pay a small finders fee perhaps. Connects many dealers instantly with serious wants lists.

I'll be anyone's partner who wants to start this business with me.

Last edited by CaramelMan; 08-06-2013 at 02:16 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:23 PM
pete ullman

I kinda like the app idea...but kinda not?! With the problem with theft...and insufficient help at a lot of tables...I think the distraction of having to look at your device could pose a problem.

I much prefer the concept that at regular intervals...the PA will announce the desired card/cards at which time the crown will "hush" wanting to hear the announcement...and I think some type of reward for the seller who comes forward the quickest would be positive incentive too?!

The only problem with the personal shopper idea is that the pool of available cards will be limited to those participating as well as the idea that these sellers will have to be on a message board and not manning their stuff.
Old 08-06-2013, 02:49 PM

Want an idea to improve the National?

I have never been to the Natioanal (or any sports card shows in the last few years) however, time after time, I have read on this board about members going to shows and being PO'd about dealers not having their items priced and the prices being where they can be seen.

My suggestion, therefor, would be for the organizers of the National to REQUIRE the dealers setting up to have their items priced and the prices in plain site. If they are found to NOT have this then they will be immediately booted from the show.

I mean, this show is supposed to be for buyers and sellers to get together and NOT to be a museum.

David
Old 08-06-2013, 03:03 PM
Ken McMillan

A big improvement would be to occasionally move it to the West Coast. Anaheim would be awesome instead of Cleveland and Chicago routine. Maybe every 4 to 5 years here in California or even Dallas. Some collectors actually do live west of the Mississippi River.

Last edited by kmac32; 08-06-2013 at 09:31 PM.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:10 PM

I had some Net 54ers email me during the National altering me to certain dealers having, for instance T210s, at their table. The more friends you have at the show the better
Old 08-06-2013, 03:16 PM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbob View Post
I had some Net 54ers email me during the National altering me to certain dealers having, for instance T210s, at their table. The more friends you have at the show the better
I agree, Bob. Seems like I get texts or emails letting me know about this and that at dealers' tables throughout the show. Also helps to walk around and talk to people and dealers about what you're looking for. The more you open up, the more help you get. I'd personally hate it if I heard announcements all day long at the show. Even at 5 minute intervals, I would think it would be extremely annoying. I like the thrill of the hunt and don't mind spending a few days digging through boxes or talking to dealers to find one or two items for my collection.
Old 08-06-2013, 03:44 PM

How about this:

Each entrant is handed a free book (may also have some printed advertisement space).

In the book, each dealer is given one page to list the dealer's top 100 items in inventory - and asking price strongly suggested, but not mandatory. And of course, a booth number and floorplan.

So the bound book would be up to a couple hundred pages highlighting what the dealer thinks he has that is noteworthy.

I would have loved to have this in 2011 when I was in Chicago. It would have helped me navigate the place, and also I could have gone over it like a like a kid with a Christmas catalog at night in the hotel room.

The dealers' submission deadline for this might also force some dealers into organizing their stuff before they pack and head to the Nat.

The lists could also be published on the Nat's website (for the tech-savvy).

Cheers,
Blair
Old 08-06-2013, 04:26 PM
C0nor D0na.hue

I like where this idea is going. I would be willing to pay for said service, but only if it entitled me to first dibs on items. Knowing that 20 other collectors are going to be receiving the same "leads" as i do wouldn't be worth anything to me.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Dave.Horn.ish

Something like a twitter feed with a hashtag would work. Dealers could pick out the hashtag and tweet back if they have a match. Biggest problem is dealer multitasking as it seems like one more thing for them to do and would raise the theft proabbility I think..
Old 08-06-2013, 05:08 PM
Scott S

Quote:
Originally Posted by conor912 View Post
I like where this idea is going. I would be willing to pay for said service, but only if it entitled me to first dibs on items. Knowing that 20 other collectors are going to be receiving the same "leads" as i do wouldn't be worth anything to me.

That is why you make one line....first come first serve...you snooze you lose.

If after 5 minutes you don't get a response from a dealer, you get to search for another card, no extra charge....so you basically go until you get a match!

Win-win
Old 08-06-2013, 05:39 PM

While this sounds well and good. Please remember most dealers are 50ish and only use a phone(regardless of it's capabilities) to send and receive calls. They are not tweeting or following instagram. For them to do what most suggest would involve reinventing the wheel for them. Myself included.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toppcat View Post
Something like a twitter feed with a hashtag would work. Dealers could pick out the hashtag and tweet back if they have a match. Biggest problem is dealer multitasking as it seems like one more thing for them to do and would raise the theft proabbility I think..
Old 08-06-2013, 05:43 PM

Some different locations. It is ridiculous to have Chicago, Cleveland,Baltimore and ocassionally Atlantic City. There are plenty of other great cities that are worthy of the National.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:47 PM
Bruce Babcock

On-site dentistry would be a plus . . .
Old 08-06-2013, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffda51 View Post
There were more dentist's floating around that room that you could count!
Old 08-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Bruce C@rter

I like the idea of having one out west sometimes. Las Vegas would work. Then again, dealers wouldn't want buyers blowing all there money at the tables instead of buying cards.
Old 08-06-2013, 06:35 PM

A Net54 Dinner every evening of the show.
Old 08-06-2013, 09:12 PM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
a big improvement would be to occasionally move it to the west coast. Anaheim would be awesome instead of cleveland and chicago routine. Maybe every 4 to 5 years here in calofornia or even dallas. Some collectors actually do lice west of the mississippi river.
+1000
Old 08-07-2013, 12:50 AM
Rich Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgonyandIvy View Post
A Net54 Dinner every evening of the show.
+1000

Leon loves the work and thrives on planning dinners for hundreds
Old 08-07-2013, 01:18 AM
Matt Hall

There's a cool app called "Group me" It works like text messages but with a group. The groups are private. If all the pre-war dealers/buyers joined say a "2013 National Pre-war collectors" group, then a buyer could send a text like "who's the guy with all the N321s?" Everyone will get the message, and the right dealer could respond. The down side would be that all buyers would get the message and another interested collector might be closer then you!
Old 08-07-2013, 07:51 AM
"Thumbs Down Guy"

The idea of a free program book, with a floor plan and corresponding list of dealers, and a separate index listing the dealers by the type of material they sell, is a good one. And if advertising can help to keep it free, so much the better.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Ben H*ds@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Dunaier View Post
The idea of a free program book, with a floor plan and corresponding list of dealers, and a separate index listing the dealers by the type of material they sell, is a good one. And if advertising can help to keep it free, so much the better.
I like the app idea, but this appeals to me as well. Heritage had a numbered floor plan in their catalog. I think that there needs to be a way in which the table numbers are displayed in a more prominent manner.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:56 AM
Banned

I always thought people enjoyed the hunt?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 AM
pete ullman

not to diminish the hunt...as for most of us this is where the thrill is...but hunting/fishing without ever catching/killing anything sucks!!!!

Last edited by ullmandds; 08-07-2013 at 08:59 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:58 AM

I like the Net54 dinner each night too.
How about a shuttle on call to take us from the show entrance to the McDonalds

A serious idea that might work is to group different sellers of cards together in each part of the show. Tables 1-300 would vintage cards, tables 301-500 modern cards, tables 501-600 autographs, tables 601-650 auction houses, tables 651-655 grading companies, etc,... The seller might have some new stuff, but if they sell predominently vintage cards, then put them in that section. Each National, switch it around so one year the the vintage sellers are tables 1-300, the next year they're at 800-1000.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:00 AM
pete ullman

Again...I was thinking for rare items...not 50's hof'ers...or 33 goudey ruths!
Old 08-07-2013, 09:56 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jewish-collector View Post
I like the Net54 dinner each night too.
How about a shuttle on call to take us from the show entrance to the McDonalds

A serious idea that might work is to group different sellers of cards together in each part of the show. Tables 1-300 would vintage cards, tables 301-500 modern cards, tables 501-600 autographs, tables 601-650 auction houses, tables 651-655 grading companies, etc,... The seller might have some new stuff, but if they sell predominently vintage cards, then put them in that section. Each National, switch it around so one year the the vintage sellers are tables 1-300, the next year they're at 800-1000.
I say "good luck" to the Dinner every night suggestion. ....we'll be very fortunate to have one next year but it's a long ways away so who knows.

As for having tables with designated categories, I don't think it would ever work. Too many have things from different eras and different parts of the hobby. As for an app, I am still trying to connect the string from one cup to the other in order to hear.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:01 AM
Chr!$ "Bubba" L@mb

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
A big improvement would be to occasionally move it to the West Coast. Anaheim would be awesome instead of Cleveland and Chicago routine. Maybe every 4 to 5 years here in California or even Dallas. Some collectors actually do live west of the Mississippi River.
We could all crash at Leon's place.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uffda51 View Post
That is one of the funniest comments I have seen in a long time!
JimB
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
pete ullman

On location Dentistry sounds good to me...no insurance accepted...payment in vintage cardboard only!
Old 08-07-2013, 10:05 AM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I say "good luck" to the Dinner every night suggestion. ....we'll be very fortunate to have one next year but it's a long ways away so who knows.
Leon, I am sad to hear that there might not be a dinner next year. One of the main reasons I am planning on attending in Cleveland is for the Friday night dinner. My one and only National (even though I have been collecting since 1986) was in Baltimore last year and one of the main reasons was to attend the dinner. I would reconsider my plans to go to Cleveland if there was not going to be a dinner.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:06 AM
David M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texxxx View Post
I like the idea of having one out west sometimes. Las Vegas would work. Then again, dealers wouldn't want buyers blowing all there money at the tables instead of buying cards.
I think blowing all your money at the tables means something different to collectors at the National! On the serious side, I would like add my vote to those that would like to see another National west of the Mississippi.

One thing I have been wondering, is how does Comic-Con always make their event such a happening? They call it a comic book convention, but are there people actually selling comics at this show? I've never been there, so I don't know if you can even compare the two events, but maybe there are some things to be learned from how they have managed to make this such an great show.

Last edited by GasHouseGang; 08-07-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:23 AM
Ed Woelfle

Default App

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guttapercha View Post
I work for a progressive internet based company who uses an app for our twice-yearly conferences. Everything from agenda, to poll questioning, to updates, to Twitter or Instagram feeds.

Positive: Engaging, interactive, definitely the wave of the future.

Negative: Can be slow, cumbersome, mass numbers hit the servers at the same time slows it down considerably. In an area with poor reception like the Donald E. Stephens, that would have been a major issue.

Last edited by Edwolf1963; 08-07-2013 at 10:24 AM.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:26 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibuysportsephemera View Post
Leon, I am sad to hear that there might not be a dinner next year. One of the main reasons I am planning on attending in Cleveland is for the Friday night dinner. My one and only National (even though I have been collecting since 1986) was in Baltimore last year and one of the main reasons was to attend the dinner. I would reconsider my plans to go to Cleveland if there was not going to be a dinner.
We will know approximately 6 months in advance, if we will have one or not. Cleveland is a bit more difficult venue to have one at. I know a lot of members look forward to it so we'll try. It does have a lot to do with sponsorship too. The costs have gone up a good bit. And, no, I won't consider charging to go to it. The $5 donation for doggies is about as much as I ever want to solicit, and even that goes against my philosophy of having this board always be free to members. But I will make exceptions to help good causes. LL
Old 08-07-2013, 01:23 PM
Jeff G@rf!nkel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
We will know approximately 6 months in advance, if we will have one or not. Cleveland is a bit more difficult venue to have one at. I know a lot of members look forward to it so we'll try. It does have a lot to do with sponsorship too. The costs have gone up a good bit. And, no, I won't consider charging to go to it. The $5 donation for doggies is about as much as I ever want to solicit, and even that goes against my philosophy of having this board always be free to members. But I will make exceptions to help good causes. LL
Thanks Leon...Although you wouldn't consider charging a fee, couldn't we allow donations if anyone is inclined? I know that I would be happy to contribute and would not be the least bit put out to do so.