NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > WaterCooler Talk- Off Topics

Old 06-11-2017, 10:18 AM
D@le Irv*n

Default Killing large ant hills on lawns?

I have 2 large ant hills on my lawn and I am looking for a natural way to kill/eradicate*them. Unfortunately, we can longer use pest killer/fertilizer mix up here where I live so I am wondering what others have used, naturally, to kill them?

I watch a few youtube vids and some say boiling water, Dawn dish soap, Borax, vinegar or simply drown them with a garden hose.

I assume most of you guys south of me in the U.S. can use pesticides but I am wondering, besides those, what else you have used that works?

Thanks.*
Old 06-11-2017, 10:49 AM
Peter Spaeth

Might I suggest one of these.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 154061-004-4126DACE.jpg (57.0 KB, 239 views)

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 06-11-2017, 10:51 AM
Al Wright

Better on the lawn than in the house! I've had good luck with baits of corn syrup and borax. Don't mix them myself though, all the home center/hardware stores sell them. They work in a delayed fashion. The corn syrup attracts the ants, they eat it, bring it back to the nest, the traps get swarmed by the rest following the pheromone trails, and then the borax disables their intestinal track and they die. It's pretty simple if you just follow the instructions. Good luck.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:59 AM
Ben North

I use ground (cayenne) red pepper. Just generously sprinkle it on and around the ant hills. They will leave.

If you have pets keep them away from that area because it will burn their paws.

EDIT: This also works great if you have them in your house. Heavily sprinkle it around the entire foundation of your house on the outside for a barrier.

Last edited by bnorth; 06-11-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:12 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Might I suggest one of these.
LOL, Peter!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58pinson View Post
Better on the lawn than in the house! I've had good luck with baits of corn syrup and borax. Don't mix them myself though, all the home center/hardware stores sell them. They work in a delayed fashion. The corn syrup attracts the ants, they eat it, bring it back to the nest, the traps get swarmed by the rest following the pheromone trails, and then the borax disables their intestinal track and they die. It's pretty simple if you just follow the instructions. Good luck.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
I use ground (cayenne) red pepper. Just generously sprinkle it on and around the ant hills. They will leave.

If you have pets keep them away from that area because it will burn their paws.

EDIT: This also works great if you have them in your house. Heavily sprinkle it around the entire foundation of your house on the outside for a barrier.
I just purchased these at our local CDN Tire store as they were suggested to me from a couple guys on a snowmobile forum I belong to. Supposedly, these are the best? They have only been available in Canada a few years but are suppose to work better than anything else we have been able to get in the past? Time will tell?
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/te...-0598829p.html

Thanks guys!

NEWS RELEASE

Media Contact

Carolyn Schinsky / Ryan PR / 314- 822-9784 / carolyn@ryan-pr.com

Arm Yourself Against Ant Invasions — The Best Ant Control Is Now in Canada

TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits Provide Effective, Long-term Ant Control, Both Indoors and Outdoors.

Brampton, On, Canada— June 27, 2013— It’s a fact of life. No homeowner is immune to the problem of ants. Whether they’re parading across your kitchen counter or ruining your backyard barbecue, ants are an unwelcome house guest. Now, there is a new, effective way to control ant invasions. TERRO® , the top selling brand of DIY ant baits in the United States for more than 90 years, was recently introduced to the Canadian marketplace. For long-term ant control, Canada now has access to TERRO® for controlling unwanted armies of ants with their line of indoor and outdoor liquid ant baits.

For more information on where to purchase TERRO® liquid ant bait products throughout Canada, click below:

Shop TERRO® Canada

“For effective, long-term control of common household ants, the first step is baiting the worker ants – the ants you see marching around inside your house – with TERRO® Liquid Ant Baits,” advises Stew Clark, Director of Research at TERRO®. “As the worker ants forage for food, they are drawn to the sweet liquid in the pre-filled ant bait stations. The ants enter the trap, consume the bait, and then return to the nest where they pass on the bait to the rest of the colony. Baiting is the only way to get rid of the ants you see and the thousands you don’t.”

The active ingredient in TERRO® ant bait products is formulated to kill the worker ant in two to three days. This gives the foraging ants enough time to get back to the colony and share the deadly bait with the rest of the ants, including the queen.

When using any TERRO® ant bait product, you’re initially going to see a lot more ants,” warns Clark. “When the foraging ants find the bait, they consume it and drop what is called a ‘trail pheromone’ back to the nest. The trail lets all the other worker ants know where the food supply is and they make a beeline for it. This explains the surge in ants when first placing the ant bait in and around your home. But be patient — in a day or two the ants will be nothing but a distant memory.”

Since most indoor ant infestations are linked to a colony outside, Clark also recommends setting up outdoor home barriers. “Treating the perimeter of your house with a TERRO® ant bait product provides an added line of defense against unwanted insects entering your home,” explains Clark.

Like all TERRO® ant bait products, TERRO® Outdoor Liquid Ant Baits provide fast-acting elimination of the queen and entire colony of Canadian ants. To use, simply place the convenient, ready-to-use liquid ant bait stations outdoors in areas where ants are observed, and secure the stations with the stakes provided. The durable, weather-resistant bait stations prevent the liquid bait from drying out, providing the ants with a continuous supply of food, day and night.

“The key to successfully using any TERRO® ant bait product is to make sure the ants find the bait, eat it and take it back to the nest to feed to the rest of the colony,” says Clark. “Be sure to eliminate all other food sources in the area. This will ensure the ants aren’t tempted to eat anything but the bait.”

For more information on where to purchase TERRO® liquid ant bait products throughout Canada, visit http://www.woodstreambrands.ca/store/terro.

About TERRO

TERRO® is an industry leader in ant and pest control and has been a trusted brand for more than 90 years. Based in Lititz, PA, the company offers proven ant and pest control products including liquid ant baits, aerosol sprays, perimeter granules and ant dust products. TERRO® products are widely distributed at all leading hardware, home center, mass merchant, food and drug, farm and fleet, and independent garden center retailers nationwide. For more information on TERRO® products, call 1-800-800-1819 or visit www.terro.com, www.facebook.com/TerroDeadAnts or www.twitter.com/TerroDeadAnts.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:31 PM
Ben North

Terro is a joke and does not work. At least in my experience. We tried it with no luck before we used the red pepper that did work great.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:54 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Terro is a joke and does not work. At least in my experience. We tried it with no luck before we used the red pepper that did work great.
I hope you're wrong, Ben. These hills seem to be getting bigger by the day so I need something to get rid of them now.

I did see some vids using Borax and Corn Syrup, so that will be my next attempt if these don't do the trick?
Old 06-11-2017, 02:35 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by irv View Post
I hope you're wrong, Ben. These hills seem to be getting bigger by the day so I need something to get rid of them now.

I did see some vids using Borax and Corn Syrup, so that will be my next attempt if these don't do the trick?
Terro is basically corn syrup with 5% Borax. Maybe if you mix your own with a higher % of Borax it might work. I have tried Terro a few times with no luck. It does work good to attract them though.

Good luck Dale, ants suck.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:11 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Yowza, I couldn't possibly disagree more. Terro has worked ridiculously well for me. Granted, it was mainly for inside ants, but I also used it outside a couple of times (mainly where there were untold numbers of ants emanating out of cracks in the cement) and POOF!!! the colonies disappeared in a couple of days. They are drawn to the stuff like crazy and bring it back to the queen, which ends up snuffing her out. Haven't tried it with actual anthills, so it's possible that it doesn't work as well in that scenario, but it is certainly lethal to 'normal' indoor ant colonies. I don't use the traps, instead I buy a bottle of the liquid (below) so I can squirt it exactly where it needs to go. Just find the trail of ants and put a decent amount of the goop right along their route and they'll start feeding and telling their friends to come on over for a sweet buffet.

Good luck!!

photo.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:21 PM
Al Wright

Dale,

I would be more optimistic than Ben about the effectiveness of the Terro (the brand name had skipped my mind when I made the initial post) bait stations. I've had decent luck with regular looking ants. Of course if you're dealing with a "Naked Jungle" army ant infestation I'm not so sure. It's not the first time I've heard of Ben's suggestion of the cayenne. Also heard that cinnamon is something they abhor. Annihilate them!
Old 06-11-2017, 04:31 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Leon has extensive experience with this, especially fire ants. Hopefully he'll chime in
Old 06-11-2017, 04:50 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Ya'll don't want to know what I do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Leon has extensive experience with this, especially fire ants. Hopefully he'll chime in
Old 06-11-2017, 05:12 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
Ya'll don't want to know what I do.
Shotgun at close range?
Old 06-11-2017, 05:38 PM
Anthøny N. ex

Flamethrowers at dawn
Eyebrows are overrated
Old 06-11-2017, 05:51 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by JollyElm View Post
Yowza, I couldn't possibly disagree more. Terro has worked ridiculously well for me. Granted, it was mainly for inside ants, but I also used it outside a couple of times (mainly where there were untold numbers of ants emanating out of cracks in the cement) and POOF!!! the colonies disappeared in a couple of days. They are drawn to the stuff like crazy and bring it back to the queen, which ends up snuffing her out. Haven't tried it with actual anthills, so it's possible that it doesn't work as well in that scenario, but it is certainly lethal to 'normal' indoor ant colonies. I don't use the traps, instead I buy a bottle of the liquid (below) so I can squirt it exactly where it needs to go. Just find the trail of ants and put a decent amount of the goop right along their route and they'll start feeding and telling their friends to come on over for a sweet buffet.

Good luck!!

Attachment 276227
I looked for the liquid today but all I could find was the traps that I purchased.
I seen a vid of the liquid and was amazed at how many ants came to the guys little tinfoil trays that he put out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YYu8TvewqGw

I have checked a few times now and have seen zero ants at the baits??
I did, earlier, bore a small hole in both nests then poured vinegar down them in a few places. (I read that this may work also?) so maybe that is why I haven't seen any, I don't know??

Thanks for the help so far, guys; I do appreciate it!

Last edited by irv; 06-11-2017 at 05:51 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 06:39 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

I guess I should have included in my post that none of the bait traps I put down ever worked, not even remotely. And those were from the titans of the pest elimination game (is that a phrase, or did I just coin it?), such as Raid. It was very disappointing. But since I had those traps already in place, I just squeezed some of the Terro into them/on them to try it out and the ants quickly appeared en masse to suck it up.

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Old 06-11-2017, 06:55 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I guess I should have included in my post that none of the bait traps I put down ever worked, not even remotely. And those were from the titans of the pest elimination game (is that a phrase, or did I just coin it?), such as Raid. It was very disappointing. But since I had those traps already in place, I just squeezed some of the Terro into them/on them to try it out and the ants quickly appeared en masse to suck it up.
The baits I purchased are suppose to have that same liquid in them, but maybe not as strong?

I will try again to see if I can find the liquid. Hopefully I can!

Thanks again.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:48 PM
Sean Costello

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffins View Post
Flamethrowers at dawn
Eyebrows are overrated
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Old 06-12-2017, 07:45 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I love the smell of napalm in the morning.
Honestly, that is about it. .....I have tried everything and we have about 6 billion ants on our property. I use gasoline. A cup or so will kill a really big mound. All of the ant bait crap I have tried to use doesn't work. Gas does. And I should say I am one of the biggest eco-friendly guys in the world, to the chagrin of my neighbors. Good luck.,.,... btw, I guarantee it works. And it leaves a very small brown spot but after several rains the grass grows over it and back to nadda.....
Old 06-13-2017, 06:29 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Honestly, that is about it. .....I have tried everything and we have about 6 billion ants on our property. I use gasoline. A cup or so will kill a really big mound. All of the ant bait crap I have tried to use doesn't work. Gas does. And I should say I am one of the biggest eco-friendly guys in the world, to the chagrin of my neighbors. Good luck.,.,... btw, I guarantee it works. And it leaves a very small brown spot but after several rains the grass grows over it and back to nadda.....
I don't see much action with either trap I put on the front yard, but I also don't see many ants? Maybe my vinegar trick worked?

Last evening, while on the back patio, we had a major outbreak of small ants come from the edge of the patio where it meets the house. I put out a few of those Terro baits and a large number of ants were attracted to those.
All looks good tonight with very few ants running around. I checked inside those baits and most had quite a few ants in them, with, I think, the majority of them dead?

If my 2 large nests on the front yard are still active, I will try the gas trick. My only issue is, there are multiple holes so I am unsure if I dig a big one or just pour it all over the nest?
Old 06-14-2017, 09:50 AM
T@yl0r $ch0ck

Quote:
I don't see much action with either trap I put on the front yard, but I also don't see many ants? Maybe my vinegar trick worked?

Last evening, while on the back patio, we had a major outbreak of small ants come from the edge of the patio where it meets the house. I put out a few of those Terro baits and a large number of ants were attracted to those.
All looks good tonight with very few ants running around. I checked inside those baits and most had quite a few ants in them, with, I think, the majority of them dead?

If my 2 large nests on the front yard are still active, I will try the gas trick. My only issue is, there are multiple holes so I am unsure if I dig a big one or just pour it all over the nest?
I have had nothing but success with (liquid) Terro traps, both inside and out. You put it out and the first day the ants swarm to it. The next day they are gone. But I have never tried in on large ant hills though.
Old 06-14-2017, 11:06 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I spread it over the tops of them. But if that other stuff works, use it first .

Quote:

Old 06-14-2017, 11:32 AM
Archive

Dale

Tips.net says to use lemon juice or bay leaves. There is an article on the website that explains what to do. Might be an inexpensive solution to try.

Sometimes these "home remedies" really work. A few years ago my girlfriend & I tried one of these remedies for fleas and we never had any fleas on our cat or in our home.
Old 06-14-2017, 01:30 PM
Fr@nk Burke++

Does it matter if they are large old ants on any old hill or if they are any old ant on a large old hill?

We had some carpenter ants once upon a time in our log home. I asked the guy doing the repairs how he knew they were carpenter ants. His reply

"They're the ones with pencils on their ears."

End of monologue. Back to vaudeville.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:50 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I spread it over the tops of them. But if that other stuff works, use it first .
Seems like most are gone tonight. I just finished cutting the grass and seen hardly any activity. I am like you, Leon, I won't resort with the gas method until I have exhausted all options.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jantz View Post
Dale

Tips.net says to use lemon juice or bay leaves. There is an article on the website that explains what to do. Might be an inexpensive solution to try.

Sometimes these "home remedies" really work. A few years ago my girlfriend & I tried one of these remedies for fleas and we never had any fleas on our cat or in our home.
Thanks for the tip on the Tips.net, Jantz. I will be sure to see what I can find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Does it matter if they are large old ants on any old hill or if they are any old ant on a large old hill?

We had some carpenter ants once upon a time in our log home. I asked the guy doing the repairs how he knew they were carpenter ants. His reply

"They're the ones with pencils on their ears."

End of monologue. Back to vaudeville.
I seen your reply, Frank, and knew right away it was going to be humorous rather than helpful,,,,, but I do appreciate the laugh!
Old 06-15-2017, 07:47 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

One thing about the gas. It works 100%. No debate about will it work or not.
I used to actually light them on fire with the gas but then, one time when I did it, the fire traveled up the gas can and lit me on fire for a few seconds. It didn't burn any skin but it burned my clothes a bit. That was the last time I lit them. When I did it you could hear the ants pop, that was kind of cool. Now when I do it they all just curl up and pass away in their sleep, immediately.

BTW, if I had a smaller yard I probably wouldn't do it. Our last house had a small front and back yard and I am not sure I would do it there. We have some room for it to dissipate....

Quote:
Seems like most are gone tonight. I just finished cutting the grass and seen hardly any activity. I am like you, Leon, I won't resort with the gas method until I have exhausted all options.

Thanks for the tip on the Tips.net, Jantz. I will be sure to see what I can find.

I seen your reply, Frank, and knew right away it was going to be humorous rather than helpful,,,,, but I do appreciate the laugh!

Last edited by Leon; 06-15-2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 02:28 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I thought it was grits or oatmeal. when they eat it, they will explode.
Generally gasoline works well on huge ones.
I use just the bag of powdered ant killer.
Ping Bodie, Sam Rice
Old 06-15-2017, 05:21 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
One thing about the gas. It works 100%. No debate about will it work or not.
I used to actually light them on fire with the gas but then, one time when I did it, the fire traveled up the gas can and lit me on fire for a few seconds. It didn't burn any skin but it burned my clothes a bit. That was the last time I lit them. When I did it you could hear the ants pop, that was kind of cool. Now when I do it they all just curl up and pass away in their sleep, immediately.

BTW, if I had a smaller yard I probably wouldn't do it. Our last house had a small front and back yard and I am not sure I would do it there. We have some room for it to dissipate....
Leon, I am curious if you have ever tried/used diesel fuel? If so, I assume it didn't work, but if you haven't, that might be a little less hazardous, no?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pawpawdiv9 View Post
I thought it was grits or oatmeal. when they eat it, they will explode.
Generally gasoline works well on huge ones.
I use just the bag of powdered ant killer.
I have never heard of that one but you might be onto something?

I use to use the powder as well, but it seemed it only worked for a while and you were left with the mess, especially on the patio.

It's too early yet, I think, but I still see no ants on or around the hills.

Last edited by irv; 06-15-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:31 PM
Ben North

Quote:
Leon, I am curious if you have ever tried/used diesel fuel? If so, I assume it didn't work, but if you haven't, that might be a little less hazardous, no?
Diesel will leave your lawn dead for a longer period of time. Yes it also works.

As a kid in much different times we used Diesel fuel for weed killer.

Last edited by bnorth; 06-15-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:45 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Diesel will leave your lawn dead for a longer period of time. Yes it also works.

As a kid in much different times we used Diesel fuel for weed killer.
Aah, OK. I can see that being the case.

Thanks, Ben.
Old 06-15-2017, 06:24 PM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Try a different approach. Put a couple of slabbed Mickey Mantle cards in your neighbor's yard and every single ant will cruise over there to check them out. Problem solved.

Casey Stengel

Old 06-15-2017, 07:22 PM
Ronald Glenn

Location: Lake Norman N. Carolina ( New Jersey Born and Raised)

AMDRO for fire ants gone the next day
Old 06-15-2017, 09:13 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Try a different approach. Put a couple of slabbed Mickey Mantle cards in your neighbor's yard and every single ant will cruise over there to check them out. Problem solved.
I don't know about that, Darren. The ants might not collect postwar. Even if they do, they might all be Red Sox fans.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:51 AM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Can u post a pic of the hill?

Id agree with leon, fire would b my choice
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:06 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilKing00 View Post
Can u post a pic of the hill?

Id agree with leon, fire would b my choice
No specific pics but this vid shows pretty much what mine look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX4-O_dhezY
Old 06-16-2017, 06:42 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

I will take a pic of ours after a while but they are different. Ours have the big ant mounds above and below the surface. I am not sure I would try gas on the ones below the surface.

Quote:
No specific pics but this vid shows pretty much what mine look like.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FX4-O_dhezY
Old 06-16-2017, 06:55 AM
M@tt McC@rthy

And I'm fascinated by this thread...wow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I collect Hal Chase, Diamond Stars (PSA 5 or better), 1951 Bowman (Raw Ex or better), 1954 Topps (PSA 7 or better), 1956 Topps (Raw Ex or better), 3x5 Hall of Fame Autographs and autographed Perez Steele Postcards. You can see my collection by going to http://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/BigSix.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:08 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
I will take a pic of ours after a while but they are different. Ours have the big ant mounds above and below the surface. I am not sure I would try gas on the ones below the surface.
I didn't think our problems were the same when you mentioned about pouring the gas down the hole.
Like I mentioned earlier, mine are full of multi-holes/escape routes.

I did poke holes in my nests like in the vid and it's amazing when you find the voids. Those nests must look underground caves in there.

We got a little rain last night so I am curious what they look like today? Most times, after a rain, it's a flurry of activity as the ants try to repair the damage/cave in's.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:31 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

here are a few pics of what I am talking about with ours... They start out as mounds above ground (when i see them, they might be below before that) and then after their gasoline bath they end up as flat, brown spots and then later they end up being fine again. Lots of room to disperse (and again, I fully know this isn't good for the ground, it is miniscule though and the ants bite like heck)

And of course a pic of one of the pack of three dogs we took in a few years ago, giving it a morning stretch. She knows she will be inside our house later today when it gets too hot out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ant7.jpg (76.6 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg ant4.jpg (76.2 KB, 66 views)
File Type: jpg ant1.jpg (75.1 KB, 65 views)
File Type: jpg ant6.jpg (77.9 KB, 68 views)
Old 06-16-2017, 09:38 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
here are a few pics of what I am talking about with ours... They start out as mounds above ground (when i see them, they might be below before that) and then after their gasoline bath they end up as flat, brown spots and then later they end up being fine again. Lots of room to disperse (and again, I fully know this isn't good for the ground, it is miniscule though and the ants bite like heck)

And of course a pic of one of the pack of three dogs we took in a few years ago, giving it a morning stretch. She knows she will be inside our house later today when it gets too hot out there.
Thanks for the pics/info, Leon. I just checked and the largest nest is still active but the smaller one seems dormant, so far.

I put Raid ant killer drops in a pickle jar lid and placed it on top where I seen the most ants. Surprisingly, but they are likely riled up, only a couple came to it. I will give this a day or 2 and if I still have no results, then I will dig a hole and fill it with water from the garden hose.
My backyard neighbor, who also had ant problems a couple years ago, said this worked for him.

I never dreamt these little buggers would be so hard to get rid of!
Old 06-21-2017, 05:30 AM
L@rry T1p+0n

I just use what is sold at the hardware store with mixed results. Sometimes it seems that I just chase the fire ants around my yard.
Old 06-22-2017, 07:01 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

That was my problem BEFORE gasoline. It seemed they didn't mind what I was putting on them and just kept going at the same beds I tried the ant-killer on. Since gasoline I have had 100% and immediate success.....and a few brown spots of grass.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
I just use what is sold at the hardware store with mixed results. Sometimes it seems that I just chase the fire ants around my yard.
Old 06-22-2017, 08:03 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyLarry View Post
We can't get anything like that in the Nanny province I live in!

Not to get political, but I can't even purchase weed n feed for the lawn, but golf courses and farmers are still allowed to use it or course!

Last edited by irv; 06-23-2017 at 10:21 AM.