NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 09-27-2005, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Default (updated) HOW to Authenticate T206

Posted By: Rick freeze

Guys,
Sorry about the small images figured out how to get them bigger. IAM NOT trying to scam anyone I am tring to figure out if I got scamed. I have never even bought a card for more than thirty bucks. Just getting into collecting and trying to figure out what I bought.... Rick

Old 09-27-2005, 12:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike Campbell

Post photos on the system. Then we can look at them. That's a start.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

Four "high dollar" T206 cards at a typical estate sale are almost certainly reprints. Especially if we are talking about Wagner, Magie, Plank and Cobb. You would need to show us scans for us to be sure.

The easiest way to spot a standard reprint is the font. Is the lettering of the players' names brown (as it should be) or black (as most reprints are)? Take a look at the gallery at T206 museum and make your own comparisons. If you've never owned a real T206 card before, it would be very hard to be able immediately to discern a fake without laying a fake down next to an authentic one.

Old 09-27-2005, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

(post removed)

Old 09-27-2005, 01:03 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian

After the last guy posted a T206 fake cobb on the board and then listed it on Ebay.....not sure if I should answer this or not

The fail safe way for me is to have a 30X loupe (buy them for $5 on ebay) and compare the questionable T206 with a GAI, PSA or SGC slabbed T206. Pick up a slabbed poor condition T206 for less than $20 and use it for your comparison. The printing dots will either look the same or different as the slabbed one.

Brian

Old 09-27-2005, 01:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

Wow -- you should sell that one on eBay. Anybody who challenges its authenticity is clearly jealous. In fact, without seeing the other cards they probably are just as great.

I wouldn't even post a better scan if you sell it on an online auction, such as eBay. In fact, most experts on this board will tell you that anybody looking at such a wonderfully-detailed scan will concur that this card is authentic.

What an amazing estate sale...

In fact, if you and your friends have more such gems why keep running them by this board? Instead, you should list them on an online auction site and reap the rewards you so richly deserve.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: tobacco-r-us

Especially with Dr Cycleback.

He's given it a 3 *** Signature *** rating.

Old 09-27-2005, 03:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

I guess it truly takes all kinds.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Trevor Hocking

Sorry to say but they are fakes. Colors don't look right and I can tell that they are the larger boarder cards (known reprints) that have been worn down.
Trevor Hocking

Old 09-27-2005, 04:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Robert

I guess you are not a scammer, seeing as your reprints are clearly marked:

http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZmrrick555

Old 09-27-2005, 04:43 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Justin

I agree with Trevor. In addition, the corner wear on all three cards are too perfectly rounded. I've never seen an authentic card with corner wear like these cards have.

Old 09-27-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Mind you, I'm only speaking for a portion of the self centered idiots crowd.

Even you have to admit that Mr Rick while in the process of asking for assistance, took a side road, and took a shot when it was really not necessary.
Especially when he didn't give us much to work with. The shot was more important than the information.
When you live by the sword, you have to be prepared to ............. .

If a newbie dosen't want to do the actual leg work, they can at least be nice.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:48 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Cobby33

Tobacco--Point well taken--I suppose the initial jab was rather uncalled for, despite any veractity to it. True, if one is looking for help, I suppose one should keep the editorializing to themselves.

Old 09-27-2005, 05:59 PM
Administrator

Forward and onward to Smallville!

Old 09-27-2005, 07:14 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Michael campbell

As one of the earlier gentlemen stated, the wear on the cards appears to way too uniform. The colors on the cards bother me as well. Just don't seem right.. You also have to consider that the odds of locating a Cobb, Doyle and an Evers at an estate sale are almost unheard of. I have bought many 206's over the last 15 years, and I just don't have a good feeling here. The only real way, would be to take them and actually show them to someone who is an expert. The scans on here certainly can't give anyone a definitive answer. But my guess is....you were had. Sorry. You are going to have to do leg work.