NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-14-2019, 09:39 AM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
I think only two bidders participated over 3500. One with 10 feedback, one with all PWCC activity. So it goes.
PWCC is cannibalizing a lot of the competition. Who else on ebay regularly sells high end (pardon the pun) Goudeys and the like? I don't see much besides them. Some of the other usual sources (Probstein), but a lot of his stuff is not auction format.

Noting that bidders of certain types of cards are constantly or exclusively going to PWCC these days hardly surprises me.

Last edited by Snapolit1; 01-14-2019 at 09:39 AM.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:31 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snapolit1 View Post
PWCC is cannibalizing a lot of the competition. Who else on ebay regularly sells high end (pardon the pun) Goudeys and the like? I don't see much besides them. Some of the other usual sources (Probstein), but a lot of his stuff is not auction format.

Noting that bidders of certain types of cards are constantly or exclusively going to PWCC these days hardly surprises me.
I think that has to do with the shunning of any other seller whose name is NOT PWCC or Probstein. Like you said, even Probstein gave up the auctions. With all other sellers being basically ignored, it is not cost effective to sell those items yourself.
Old 01-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyw8469 View Post
I think that has to do with the shunning of any other seller whose name is NOT PWCC or Probstein. Like you said, even Probstein gave up the auctions. With all other sellers being basically ignored, it is not cost effective to sell those items yourself.
That's just not true that all other sellers are being shunned/ignored. I see guys doing just fine with nice cards every day. Perhaps they aren't bringing in world records with the stickered stuff, but otherwise...

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:08 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
That's just not true that all other sellers are being shunned/ignored. I see guys doing just fine with nice cards every day. Perhaps they aren't bringing in world records with the stickered stuff, but otherwise...
Related to this on the stickers, and as someone else already noted, that Young Portrait 4 while nice isn't worth that in my opinion.

From the description - "Shows like a '5' in every way we know to view a T206." - Well, 5s were $3800 cards until Dec-2018 when a 5 PQ became a $10k card. Except this one is actually a 4, not a 5. Four rounded corners, slightly off center to the left = certified high end?

Another example, at least of some description "flowering", the Cobb bat off 4.5. "...four mostly sharp corners...wear to the extreme corner tips...". I would ask that you look again, maybe top left is sorta "mostly sharp" (not really), but the other three are definitely touched with bottom right having a fold (?) and bottom left absolutely rounded. Rounded and sharp do not appear as synonyms anywhere I can locate. Still equals certified high end?

Seems I don't actually understand what these designations actually mean anymore. Seems to me it's just a "prop" used for nice looking cards that has become it's own "thing". We've beaten that discussion to death already, but I guess you can't disagree with the auction results of those stickers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean View Post
I got the Matty Black cap PSA 6 for $3,900

I don't know if this is the new normal for the portraits, but if it is I know for certain that I won't be upgrading mine.
I had bid on all the higher grade dark and white caps, but ultimately backed off on all. This was a great looking card, certainly a good price compared to prior two sales over $5k each.

I bid on 70 cards, won zero. Was underbidder on one - the 1928 Star Candy Ted Lyons authentic.

Looking forward to round two of basically just watching TV tonight.
Old 01-14-2019, 04:50 PM
Peter Spaeth

The stickers are, IMO, pure PT Barnum.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:09 PM
Lar.ry Buch.heim

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounce View Post
Another example, at least of some description "flowering", the Cobb bat off 4.5. "...four mostly sharp corners...wear to the extreme corner tips...". I would ask that you look again, maybe top left is sorta "mostly sharp" (not really), but the other three are definitely touched with bottom right having a fold (?) and bottom left absolutely rounded. Rounded and sharp do not appear as synonyms anywhere I can locate. Still equals certified high end?
Don't forget the two dark spots on the sleeve. Nice card but for the money it has to have a clean image.
Old 01-14-2019, 05:26 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Originally Posted by PiratesWS1979 View Post
Don't forget the two dark spots on the sleeve. Nice card but for the money it has to have a clean image.
They pointed those out, but I take your point if you mean this "contribution" to not necessarily living up to the sticker.

All of it together is why I dropped out before the final bidding. It's nice, but it's not nice enough to justify that price for me.

Last edited by bounce; 01-14-2019 at 05:27 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:28 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Related to this on the stickers, and as someone else already noted, that Young Portrait 4 while nice isn't worth that in my opinion.

From the description - "Shows like a '5' in every way we know to view a T206." - Well, 5s were $3800 cards until Dec-2018 when a 5 PQ became a $10k card. Except this one is actually a 4, not a 5. Four rounded corners, slightly off center to the left = certified high end?

Seems I don't actually understand what these designations actually mean anymore. Seems to me it's just a "prop" used for nice looking cards that has become it's own "thing". We've beaten that discussion to death already, but I guess you can't disagree with the auction results of those stickers.

I had bid on all the higher grade dark and white caps, but ultimately backed off on all. This was a great looking card, certainly a good price compared to prior two sales over $5k each.

I bid on 70 cards, won zero. Was underbidder on one - the 1928 Star Candy Ted Lyons authentic.

Looking forward to round two of basically just watching TV tonight.
I bought the Cobb Bat Off you referenced. Didn’t even read the description. Just bought based on the image. And I don’t feel bad about the price, even if others do.

Last edited by mechanicalman; 01-14-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 01-14-2019, 06:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mechanicalman View Post
And I don’t feel bad about the price, even if others do.
one of america's greatest pastimes has become critiquing how other people spend money. cardboard envy is an ugly thing
Old 01-14-2019, 06:55 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
I bought the Cobb Bat Off you referenced. Didn’t even read the description. Just bought based on the image. And I don’t feel bad about the price, even if others do.
Tough card to find that well centered.

Old 01-14-2019, 07:30 PM
DR
David R@tliff

Quote:
Hope you aren't taking this as me criticizing the purchase, because I'm not.

I'm criticizing what I consider a somewhat less than honest write up about the card, as well as some skepticism of the consistency of application of standards around how they award their stickers.

It's a great looking card, but just wasn't the right one for me. That's ok. Looks like it found the right home.
Old 01-14-2019, 08:36 PM
Sam Sw@rtz

Quote:
Hope you aren't taking this as me criticizing the purchase, because I'm not.

I'm criticizing what I consider a somewhat less than honest write up about the card, as well as some skepticism of the consistency of application of standards around how they award their stickers.

It's a great looking card, but just wasn't the right one for me. That's ok. Looks like it found the right home.
Oh, I didn’t take it as criticism. I do agree the descriptions tend to round up dramatically, and that’s why I don’t read them. But I think many auctioneers tend to romance the attributes, a practice I’m sure the consignor appreciates.