NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM
Banned

Default Jack Graney and Larry the dog (reframing)

In REA's 2010 auction I bought a group of items from the estate of former Cleveland Nap Jack Graney. Included were photos of Graney with Larry, a bull terrier who was known around the league as the team's mascot. According to SABR:

Graney also cared for a bull terrier named Larry who became the club's mascot. During the 1913 season Larry, as the Naps official mascot, entertained fans before games by leapfrogging over players' backs, chasing down fans that carried straw hats, and retrieving foul balls in batting practice. Larry traveled with the team on the road and entertained the players on the field and in the Pullman cars. Often during the season the dog became so exhausted that Graney would send Larry back to his hometown of St. Thomas for a rest. The dog took an overnight lake steamer to Port Stanley, Ontario, where crewmembers let him off; he then rode the interurban streetcar to St. Thomas. The streetcar conductor would drop off Larry at Elgin Street and the dog would trot over to Graney's parents' home. In July of 1917 Graney took Larry along for a visit to the Rose Building in Cleveland. Larry became lost in the building and by the time he was found, two days later, had contracted distemper. Sadly, he had to be put down. The Cleveland baseball team never had another dog mascot.

There also is a book about Graney and Larry:

http://www.barbaragregorich.com/index.php?page=40

Anyway, the lot caught my eye because of the Cleveland connection and the items featuring Larry. My plan was to reframe the piece that contained the three photos (pictured below in the REA catalog photo), but I never got around to doing it. Five years later, I finally did.

Originally my intent was to redo the framing and keep it as close as possible to what it looked like when it was in Graney's possession. But after my framer and I removed the photos from the original frame, we saw that the middle photo has "Larry" 1913 printed on it. The original frame job matted out this printing. Because it adds so much to the photo, I wanted to include it, so the new mat is a bit different than the original. We chose a frame that has a weathered look, and the color of the mat is fairly close to what the original would have looked like before it faded.

Another discovery when we looked at the reverse of the photos is that the middle one has Van Oeyen's stamp. Talk about a nice bonus.

Before and after photos:

Old 07-28-2015, 04:35 PM
Sean Brennan

very cool! what was the book with the handwritten notes?
Old 07-28-2015, 05:22 PM
J@son M1ller

Great piece. Love the new frame job. Agree that the "Larry" writing takes it up a notch.
Old 07-28-2015, 09:59 PM

nice story, thanks