NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-21-2014, 05:32 PM

Default Opinion on this Ruth

I have my thoughts but I'd like to hear yours. 1940 golf scorecard from a course in Iowa, dated 6/24/1940 on the back by the caddie.

Old 12-21-2014, 06:20 PM
Scott

Maybe Im wrong, but
Old 12-21-2014, 06:47 PM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Don't like it
Old 12-21-2014, 08:20 PM
Scott

I see several issues. the R looks hideous. Sizes on letters/slant are inconsistent, plus the "b" in babe is way too tall
Old 12-21-2014, 08:56 PM
Mike P.ap

Default deleted

deleted

Last edited by vthobby; 12-22-2014 at 08:04 AM. Reason: deleted
Old 12-22-2014, 07:47 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

You showing this without telling people that it is all ready certed by one of the boys. Not a very smart think to do.By the way what is your name.

Last edited by shelly; 12-22-2014 at 07:50 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:11 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1940-Babe-Ru...p2047675.l2557

Looks like this one.

Last edited by jad22; 12-22-2014 at 08:11 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:29 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

I don't know. I just usually turn to Google for the answer, but if Google doesn't know where do I turn?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:31 AM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
deleted

what deleted?
Old 12-22-2014, 08:58 AM

You are correct that PSA passed it. I wanted to hear opinions without that fact influencing people, because I also thought it looked bad.

Old 12-22-2014, 09:01 AM
Richard Simon

Looks like a Philly special and not a very good one at that.
www.bonanza.com/booths/richsports
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-22-2014 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:04 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Good for whoever got it passed. It doesn't bother me that it was shown without the psa auth. I don't mind looking foolish and honestly I still don't like the auto any more than I did before. Of course if the meeting between the caddy and Ruth could be wholly substantiated it would change my mind.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:05 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I don't like the overall look of it. The top of the lower case b comes up very high. The space between the first b and the a seems too big. Don't like the look of the R. I also wonder how many times Ruth went golfing in Iowa of all places. I don't claim to be an expert but I'd stay away for sure.

This is why I opted for a signed check. You have to be really careful with any "Babe" signature, especially cuts. It's just too easy to find some old period paper and even easier to forge with pencil without aged period ink. Of course there are real paper pencil cuts out there, but you really have to use more caution I feel.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:08 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I don't like the overall look of it. The top of the lower case b comes up very high. The space between the first b and the a seems too big. Don't like the look of the R. I also wonder how many times Ruth went golfing in Iowa of all places. I don't claim to be an expert but I'd stay away for sure.

This is why I opted for a signed check. You have to be really careful with any "Babe" signature, especially cuts. It's just too easy to find some old period paper and even easier to forge with pencil without aged period ink. Of course there are real paper pencil cuts out there, but you really have to use more caution I feel.
Let me tell a story about signed checks that I reported to LE but nothing was ever done.
Some time ago a "Babe Ruth Foundation" blank check was for sale on ebay. I was immediately worried what would happen to this check when I saw it. Sure enough it was sold and a month later the check was for sale again. Only guess what. It was filled out now and signed. They brought Babe out of the grave to sign it. It was the exact same check.
--
"I have never killed a man, but I have read many obituaries with great pleasure."- Clarence Darrow

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-22-2014 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:17 AM
Shelly Jaf.fe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Good for whoever got it passed. It doesn't bother me that it was shown without the psa auth. I don't mind looking foolish and honestly I still don't like the auto any more than I did before. Of course if the meeting between the caddy and Ruth could be wholly substantiated it would change my mind.
After about a year of gotcha people stopped. It seems that people are getting much smarter and really dont care who authenticated it. I dont like it and would not buy it. It is the game that is no fun and it proves that the tpas are wrong again.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:24 AM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

In my limited interaction here, I do not believe certifications hold much influence over peoples opinions.
Old 12-22-2014, 09:32 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

For the record the original poster of this thread can remain private if he so desires. As long as he doesn't give an opinion of a person or company, or get into heated debates, he can stay private. I just like to reiterate our stance on private postings.....LL
Old 12-22-2014, 09:50 AM
J@son.K

This Ruth is a very bad example and looks very "labored" to me. TPA certed or not...doesn't matter. I wouldn't blow $3K on it (as it was being sold on eBay). As others have noted, the sizing of the letters (especially that second "b"!) and the "R" are just not very good examples. Something about this signature looks very stiff.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:30 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardSimon View Post
Let me tell a story about signed checks that I reported to LE but nothing was ever done.
Some time ago a "Babe Ruth Foundation" blank check was for sale on ebay. I was immediately worried what would happen to this check when I saw it. Sure enough it was sold and a month later the check was for sale again. Only guess what. It was filled out now and signed. They brought Babe out of the grave to sign it. It was the exact same check.
I'm not familiar with the Foundation checks that you're speaking of. Were they from when Babe was still alive or was it set up after he died? Do you have a photo of that check? I'd like to know what it looks like to keep an eye out for those.

Have you seen any "Babe Ruth" checks that have forgeries on them? I know people can make high quality prints of these from originals but I don't think I've ever seen any actual ink forgeries on a "Babe Ruth" period check. Maybe they do exist and I'm not aware of it.

I realize forgers will do anything and everything they can and will snatch up blank checks like that to forge. I've never seen any on Ruth's "Babe Ruth" checks. Mine is from the Chemical Bank, NY from 1936 made out to Claire and endorsed by Claire on the reverse.

I have no doubts as to my check but I realize their are other check types of Ruth out there and certainly one has to do their due diligence on a signature on any medium. I think I've seen some "voucher" checks that don't carry the "Babe Ruth" moniker on them which I don't know a whole lot about either.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:13 PM
Michael I.

Richard, did it go as far to have cancellation holes?
Old 12-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Richard Simon

Quote:
I'm not familiar with the Foundation checks that you're speaking of. Were they from when Babe was still alive or was it set up after he died? Do you have a photo of that check? I'd like to know what it looks like to keep an eye out for those.

Have you seen any "Babe Ruth" checks that have forgeries on them? I know people can make high quality prints of these from originals but I don't think I've ever seen any actual ink forgeries on a "Babe Ruth" period check. Maybe they do exist and I'm not aware of it.

I realize forgers will do anything and everything they can and will snatch up blank checks like that to forge. I've never seen any on Ruth's "Babe Ruth" checks. Mine is from the Chemical Bank, NY from 1936 made out to Claire and endorsed by Claire on the reverse.

I have no doubts as to my check but I realize their are other check types of Ruth out there and certainly one has to do their due diligence on a signature on any medium. I think I've seen some "voucher" checks that don't carry the "Babe Ruth" moniker on them which I don't know a whole lot about either.
The foundation was formed when he was alive. The check was dated during his lifetime. This forger may be a crook but he is not stupid.
I might have a copy of that check somewhere in my files on my computer or a printout. I will check that to see if I do have it.
--

Last edited by RichardSimon; 12-23-2014 at 07:43 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 05:29 PM
Steve Zarelli

Quote:
I have seen forged Ruth signatures that were cuts from checks. Forger probably used an old and unrelated check.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:56 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by jad22 View Post
In my limited interaction here, I do not believe certifications hold much influence over peoples opinions.
The majority of this board knows to think for themselves but there are many out there, who are not on this board, who only buy the cert .
--
Old 12-23-2014, 08:57 AM
Richard Simon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Zipper View Post
I have seen forged Ruth signatures that were cuts from checks. Forger probably used an old and unrelated check.
+1
--
Old 12-23-2014, 09:13 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Econteachert205 View Post
Dennis, it's a bad forgery no matter what meeting can be substantiated.

If you are buying an autograph as expensive as a Ruth, you should either be an expert in his signature, or know one. Relying on a COA is foolishness unless you are wealthy.