NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-25-2016, 06:32 PM
cha.d car.lson

Default Bccg

Can anyone tell me the thinking behind BCCG? I know that the grading scale is a lot lower then the other grading companies including Beckett itself. Why does Beckett have this alternative grading?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G530AZ using Tapatalk
Old 10-25-2016, 06:59 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Some reasons:
1) Beckett offers the service cheaper to bulk suppliers of mystery boxes you see at Wal-Mart.
2) A small subset of collectors would rather see their VG cards get a 6 instead of a 3.
3) Some shysters would prefer to have a BCCG 10 than a PSA 8.5 or BGS 8.5/9 because they could sell them to less knowledgeable customers by showing them sales values of PSA/BGS 10/9.5 cards.
4) Some people just don't know any better.

Beckett is doing it as a money grab. Most real collectors think they should discontinue the BCCG service, but some repacker companies are dependent on having a cheap/mainstream grader.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarmee View Post
Some reasons:

1) Beckett offers the service cheaper to bulk suppliers of mystery boxes you see at Wal-Mart.

2) A small subset of collectors would rather see their VG cards get a 6 instead of a 3.

3) Some shysters would prefer to have a BCCG 10 than a PSA 8.5 or BGS 8.5/9 because they could sell them to less knowledgeable customers by showing them sales values of PSA/BGS 10/9.5 cards.

4) Some people just don't know any better.

Beckett is doing it as a money grab. Most real collectors think they should discontinue the BCCG service, but some repacker companies are dependent on having a cheap/mainstream grader.

I would think (but could be wrong) that it would be a cheaper way for someone to ensure they're getting an authentic card than buying the other holders.

On the other hand, I think bccg holders are easier to crack.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 10-26-2016, 04:33 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
On the other hand, I think bccg holders are easier to crack.
Yes, that would be true, but you also have the option of Raw card review from Beckett if you see them at a show. I'm not sure that knowledgeable buyers are going to trust a BCCG holder to be authentic and unaltered. Of course buyers already know that they cannot trust a BGS/BVG card to be cut originally and inserted into a pack, since they grade cards cut from full sheets nowadays.
Old 10-26-2016, 07:16 AM
D.an Jackso.n

A dealer friend of mine (Tony Schaefer - Monster Cards) put it best in one of his blogs explaining the various grarding companies and options:

"and Beckett has two grading services because...well I don't know why they have two grading services"...
Old 10-26-2016, 07:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny Trillo View Post
Can anyone tell me the thinking behind BCCG? I know that the grading scale is a lot lower then the other grading companies including Beckett itself. Why does Beckett have this alternative grading?

I thought they originally targeted this grading service for the Home Shopping Network crowd. Essentially, so they could grade massive quantities of cards to the lesser standards for a card graded a "10". It was targeted to buyers that did not understand the grading differences.....

Z
Old 10-26-2016, 07:37 AM
cha.d car.lson

wow. very interesting.

Old 11-02-2016, 04:24 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

http://www.ebay.com/itm/490-Killebrew-Mays-Mantle-1968-Topps-Card-6-Bccg-Beckett-Ex-Mt-Good-Better-/252611116707?hash=item3ad0cbbea3:gdYAAOSwOyJX9Fy t

Here's a BCCG card graded a 6 (Good or better), which would be a 2 in BVG. Although the seller has EX MT in the title. So this is one of those sellers intending to deceive the buyers with a card graded a "6."
Old 11-02-2016, 05:40 PM

Default Lack Of Intent

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/490-Killebrew-Mays-Mantle-1968-Topps-Card-6-Bccg-Beckett-Ex-Mt-Good-Better-/252611116707?hash=item3ad0cbbea3:gdYAAOSwOyJX9Fy t

Here's a BCCG card graded a 6 (Good or better), which would be a 2 in BVG. Although the seller has EX MT in the title. So this is one of those sellers intending to deceive the buyers with a card graded a "6."

...Everything about the listing indicates he does not know what he is doing ; wrong category , comparing to "PSA 6" , etc. etc.----more ignorant than deceptive

Old 11-02-2016, 07:04 PM

Quote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/490-Killebre...YAAOSwOyJX9Fyt

I actually wasn't aware bccg did vintage.

Old 11-02-2016, 07:38 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattjc1983 View Post
I actually wasn't aware bccg did vintage.

Me neither. I could have sworn anything that met the vintage age would be graded as such and anything newer, 90's and up would be graded BCCG.

Makes me rethink some of the pro's I had for Beckett.
Old 11-02-2016, 08:26 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

You're getting their different products confused.

It started with BGS, who graded all cards submitted.
At some point later, there was a split into BGS for modern and BVG for vintage (pre-1980). Early BVG flips show the subgrades, while newer ones do not.

BCCG is a LOW COST, MARGINAL UTILITY grading service for all era's cards that Beckett also provides as a cash grab. However, you can reasonably trust that the cards in BCCG holders are authentic and untrimmed, at least as much as you could any card in a BVG/BGS holder.

Last edited by swarmee; 11-02-2016 at 08:26 PM.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:00 AM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
You're getting their different products confused.

It started with BGS, who graded all cards submitted.
At some point later, there was a split into BGS for modern and BVG for vintage (pre-1980). Early BVG flips show the subgrades, while newer ones do not.

BCCG is a LOW COST, MARGINAL UTILITY grading service for all era's cards that Beckett also provides as a cash grab. However, you can reasonably trust that the cards in BCCG holders are authentic and untrimmed, at least as much as you could any card in a BVG/BGS holder.
Thanks for clearing that up for me, Swarmee.