NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-15-2005, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Default How rare and valuable are Cameo Pepsins?

Posted By: Paul

I was amazed to see Rob Lifson's collection of Cameo Pepsins in the Smithsonian book. I've never seen most of them before -- like the Sockalexis, the Mack, and the Jennings. And I think there have been times when I've gone more than a year or two without seeing a single pin from this set for sale.

How rare are these? Could there be only one or two of some players? And how valuable are they? I assume Sockalexis is off the charts, but how much should you pay for Mack or Jennings or Delahanty or Hamilton?

Old 12-15-2005, 10:51 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

They're so valuable that I can't even afford the book that pictures them.

Old 12-15-2005, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Andy Baran

Paul,

It's my understanding that they are pretty rare. The Sockalexis is uncataloged, which makes Rob's the only known example I believe. I owned a Cy Young at one time. Bought it about 6 years ago in a Mastro West Auction (remember them) for about $1,100. I have no idea what they would sell for today. I traded it to a fellow board member a few years ago, and I think it may have changed hands a couple of times since then. Kinda wish I had it back. They're very cool.

Old 12-15-2005, 11:56 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie Vognar

said he knew it'd been listed for years, but had always thought it was one of those things that's listed by mistake, and just stays there because it's so hard to prove the NON-existance of things.

Old 12-15-2005, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rich Klein

Mastro had a Dummy Hoy Cameo Pin in his last auction. It was lot #2179 and sold for $1735 in ex/mt.

Rich

Old 12-15-2005, 07:45 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Judge Dred (Fred)

I thought that Hoy Pepsin pin was going to break the $4K mark because they are fairly hard to find (add to that the Hoy factor). I guess it would have been a great opportunity for a Hoy collector to "find a relative bargain" in Mastro. Who ever picked it up didn't do so bad, I guess.

Old 12-15-2005, 08:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhys

Between my brother and myself, we have owned about 12-15 of these in the last 10 years. They used to pop up on ebay about every 2-3 months one would surface back about 4-5 years ago. Now you are lucky to see 3 a year on ebay. I have theories about how they were produced and distributed but they are just theories as nobody really knows for sure. However, there are MANY Cameo Papsin pins which are uncatalogued, and most of the ones that are catalogued are either unique, or there are no more than 2-3 examples known. I have seen 3 seperate Cap Anson's before but that is because of his popularity and he probably was "chosen" and distributed more than others. I have never seen another pin in which there were duplicates to examine. Kit Young found a small handful of Cedar Rapids players about 4 years ago but many of them are STILL uncatalogued. My personal guess is that about 1/2 the set is catalogued in the SCD Price Guide and there are still new discoveries being made which would diminish that percentage fairly easily. They are found with either Cameo Pepsin paper backings, or simple advertising backs for Whitehead and Hoag (the pin manufacturer). Another problem with these pins is that they are made of Celluloid which is a very fragile material and a small scratch or blemish will expand over time if kept in humid environments. This probably led to the demise of many Cameo Pepsins over the years as well. They are extremely rare but only a handful of people in the hobby actively persue them and because they are a pin and not a card they only appeal to certain tastes. Hope that helps a little.

Rhys
Prewarsports

Old 12-15-2005, 09:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

There are at least 2 McPhees, the one in Rob Lifson's collection, and the one Lew Lipset recently auctioned on ebay.