NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 04-16-2005, 01:45 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

Posted By: Todd Schultz

This caught my eye, although I don't collect the set:

http://www.robertedwardauctions.com/site/bid/bidplace.asp?itemid=3408

John Clarkson never pitched for St. Louis--this appears to be his brother "Dad" Clarkson. My 2002 SCD book lists John but no other Clarkson. Is the set supposed to include two Clarksons, or just this Arthur "Dad" Clarkson?

Old 04-16-2005, 02:06 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

Posted By: dennis

john last played in 1894 so i would assume it's art. and i must add my usual...if i sent that card in i would get a "good" or vg if i were lucky. must be mistake on sgc label

Old 04-16-2005, 02:21 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

Posted By: john/z28jd

I agree thats one of the worst look sgc60s ive ever seen,i dont care how hard the set is in high grade because of the borders,this is just a huge overgrade.

It could be that since his brother was on the team Clarkson signed to play for st louis but never actually made the team and decided to retire.His last year was 1894 and he had trouble with the longer distance from home plate to the pitching mound changed that year.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

except that he looks a little younger than what I would expect for a then nearly 34 year-old. Arthur was 5 years younger, and although I have never seen a photo of him, I have to believe this is him. John only pitched about 1/2 of the 1894 season (the mound was actually moved back in 1893), and as I understand it had little if anything left because he never had much of a fastball to begin with and relied on finesse, so the longer throw was pretty much batting practice. Seems unlikely he was making a comeback with St. Louis, but I of course could be wrong.

Does anyone own the 1895 Mayo Clarkson or have a scan? I'm curious if this is the only Clarkson or whether there are two in the set.

Old 04-16-2005, 03:51 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

Posted By: dennis

this is the only clarkson in the set.

Old 04-17-2005, 06:51 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

Posted By: Julie

brother's team; his name and face.

Old 04-18-2005, 10:29 AM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

why is John wearing a uniform for a team he never played, or are you saying "St. Louis" was painted on?

Old 04-18-2005, 10:54 AM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

Posted By: john/z28jd

I dont know what Julie was talking about but it could just be because he signed with the team but never made the team.I have a Bob Allen Pittsburgh Old Judge but he never played for Pittsburgh.Theres also a Jimmy Ryan card listing him with Philadelphia but he never played for them.Since Clarkson was basically done as a pitcher the year before maybe his brother got him a tryout with St Louis and between the time he signed with them and the time the first game was played they made the card assuming he would make the team.They couldnt show him with Cleveland whom he played for in 1894 because he didnt pitching a game after July 12th that year.

Old 04-18-2005, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Default Mayo question

If you're comfortable that the photo is really John Clarkson, then I guess it's no big deal. Where I'd be pissed is if I was paying for a HOFer at a HOFer price and got someone else, in this case his brother-ala the 1928 ice cream issues that depict Zeb Terry and call him Bill (not even brothers or lookalikes).

I admit that if that photo isn't John, it's an uncanny family resemblance, but keep in mind that 1) the card says merely "Clarkson", 2) John has not been confirmed to have been involved with the St. Louis origanization, 3) the card shows a player in a St. Louis uniform, and 4) John's brother in fact pitched for St. Louis at the time the card was issued. I also think he looks younger than the 34 or so years he would have been even if he donned a St. Louis uniform in 1895, although I am the furthest thing from an expert on telling how old people are from a photo.

I'm not bidding, so it ain't my fight. Good luck to those who do.