NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 01-22-2020, 04:22 PM
+0m J()rd@N

How come Mickey Mantle seems to get inserted into almost every thread on Net54?
1952 Topps - low numbers (-1)
1954 Bowman (-5)
1964 Topps Giants auto'd (-2)

Last edited by Bigdaddy; 01-22-2020 at 04:22 PM.
Old 01-22-2020, 04:52 PM
Raymond 'Robbie' Culpepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Has anyone read the Hank Aaron book referenced in this article? Seems as though it's not just fans that didn't like Willie:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2010/05/06...to-hank-aaron/

I guess I'll have to dust it off and read it...sub-titled 'The Last Hero A Life of Henry Aaron.

While I'm an avid Baseball book collector, I've only read about 10% of my library...but, I hope to get better.

“If you have a chance to make life better for others and fail to do so, you are wasting your time on this earth.”- Roberto Clemente
Old 01-22-2020, 05:04 PM
Albert Bee

Default Mays

Didnt read that book..but honestly never heard that AAron did not see eye to eye with Mays....never heard that in many many years of following them both
Old 01-22-2020, 06:06 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
Has anyone read the Hank Aaron book referenced in this article? Seems as though it's not just fans that didn't like Willie:

https://mlb.nbcsports.com/2010/05/06...to-hank-aaron/
There are a number of pictures of Aaron and Mays together, and there don't appear to be any bad vibes. I mean, sometimes players could get on each other.

Here's an article from 2015, where Aaron publicly scoffed at the idea that ARod was better than Mays. To ARod's credit, he didn't take any offense at that.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/123128522/
Old 01-22-2020, 06:07 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALBB View Post
that was well worded

the last book( couple years ago) written about Mays was informative
Hey thanks. I'm going to look for that book.
Old 01-22-2020, 06:08 PM
G@nn0n
G@nnon As.ip

Quote:
Didnt read that book..but honestly never heard that AAron did not see eye to eye with Mays....never heard that in many many years of following them both
I never heard of that either...
Old 01-22-2020, 06:28 PM
Albert Bee

Smile hate

Now I do know that Lee Mazzilli hated Denny Terrio
Old 01-25-2020, 07:02 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcosCards View Post
Woah, this reference sent me on a Google search for information on Mr. Dalkowski. I thought I knew a lot about the 1963 set — but I didn’t know about this “iconic” card.

I love the ‘63 Dalkowski if for no other reason than his minor league stats on the back: 1099 K’s, 1136 BB’s in 697 innings pitched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-25-2020, 07:05 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsonjok View Post
This may be a stupid question, but does the fact that Topps dumped pallets of the last series of 1952 Topps, which included Mantle's (sorta) rookie card, into the Hudson River have anything to do with it? The reflected glory of the '52 Mantle, if you will.

Perhaps, that’s an iconic card with a great story to go with it - but I’m not sure that story was well known in the early 1980’s. I think Mantle was destined to be “the guy” from that era either way.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:08 AM
J0hn Collin$

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy View Post
How come Mickey Mantle seems to get inserted into almost every thread on Net54?

Because in these forums, like everywhere else in life - he’s Mickey Mantle.

Old 01-25-2020, 07:23 AM
J0hn Collin$

Default Jackie Robinson/Willie Mays

A lot of the discussion here reminds me of why I’ve always been careful not to get too close personally to my ballplayer heroes as people. Because invariably, you are going to be let down. If you’ve seen Ken Burns’ Baseball, the segment “Good at Life” talking about Pete Rose is what I’m talking about here. Yes, Mays is well known for his bad behavior with fans, but Mantle, Ted Williams, Frank Robinson, and countless others were no angels either. Why is their behavior overlooked / forgiven, while Willie’s is not?

It may not be “right”, but I have to draw a line with respect to my personal motivations for collecting with this kind of stuff. For me, that generally includes nostalgia, history, and grasping for the fleeting feeling of youth gone by above everything else. Few would disagree that as a player on the field, Willie Mays was easily one of the top 3-5 non-pitchers who ever lived. Along with Mantle and Aaron, he was one of the top figures in baseball that played into the nostalgia we associate with the sport today from the 1950’s and 60’s. I guess it becomes a question for some on where to draw the line. Do people think differently of Duke Snider or Willie McCovey now in the 21st century because of their tax problems that have come to light? Doubtful. So we should shun Mays because of his boorish behavior? I get it if that is your conclusion. It’s just not mine yet.

Last edited by jchcollins; 01-25-2020 at 07:24 AM.
Old 01-25-2020, 09:05 PM
Steve

Default Dance fever

Quote:
Now I do know that Lee Mazzilli hated Denny Terrio

Wait - are you saying that Denny Terrio mistreated fans?
Old 01-26-2020, 09:15 AM
Albert Bee

Default Mays

His dancing was cruel and hateful !!..He ruined Dance Fever .. absolutely killed the show !
Old 01-26-2020, 11:46 PM
Steve

Default Disco dead as a doornail

Yeah, but what ever happened to that chick who danced with him? She was enough to make Mays smile.
Old 01-28-2020, 01:29 PM
Steve Birmingham

Maybe Mays should embrace his reputation as being cranky.

One of the bicycle framebuilders who'd been doing it for years could be a bit abrasive, especially towards people who wanted to talk endlessly about stuff he'd done 20 years before while he was trying to get some work done. He ended up with a similar rep, even though at the right time, he could be just fine.

Eventually he made a joke of it, got buttons made up saying "(His name) was rude to me" and passed them out at tradeshows - Or would pretty much give one to anyone who asked.

Sadly, he cleared his waitlist and retired maybe a couple years ago. And died about a year and a half later.
Old 02-25-2020, 08:41 PM
Miltie

Larry Doby felt he was a better player than Jackie Robinson, and he was probably right. Others of the time shared his opinion as well, but Jackie was ex-military and a college man, which made him a better candidate for Branch Rickey. Larry Doby suffered greatly, perhaps as much Jackie Robinson, but in comparison he is not regarded in the same light. Almost all the Cleveland players did not want Larry on the team, especially Eddie Robinson whose behavior toward Doby during that season caused him to be traded the following year.
Old 02-25-2020, 09:27 PM
J0hn H@rper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Miltie View Post
Larry Doby felt he was a better player than Jackie Robinson, and he was probably right. Others of the time shared his opinion as well, but Jackie was ex-military and a college man, which made him a better candidate for Branch Rickey. Larry Doby suffered greatly, perhaps as much Jackie Robinson, but in comparison he is not regarded in the same light. Almost all the Cleveland players did not want Larry on the team, especially Eddie Robinson whose behavior toward Doby during that season caused him to be traded the following year.
I'm gonna have to side with Robinson again here. Both guys have very similar career offensive production, but Robinson was much better defensively than Doby, and Doby played mostly in his prime years in the majors (while Robinson was late 20s to late 30s then).
Old 02-25-2020, 10:29 PM
Steve

Cleveland curmudgeon that I am, I still ponder what the current discussion would sound like if Bill Veeck had been able to start the 1947 season with Larry Doby in centerfield for the Indians.

Last edited by Volod; 02-25-2020 at 10:31 PM.