NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-09-2013, 03:37 AM

Default Belated New Member Introduction

I have a few different posts running and realized I never did a New Member Intro.

I'm 25, live in LA (raised in Northern California) and have been collecting sports memorabilia since I was six. Playing, watching and collecting sports were always primarily ways for my dad and I to spend time together. My first collecting moment was when he offered me the choice between a game-used 1989 World Series ball (a foul ball hit by Dave Parker that Dad caught) and a Craig Lefferts signed ball. Of course the autograph mesmerized me so I picked the Lefferts, one of my worst memorabilia-related decisions to this day.

For summer vacations from 1995-2000, we used to follow the A's on three-city road trips. Our first was Boston, Baltimore and New York. We would find out what hotel they were staying in from the media guide and stay there too. I vividly remember a skin-and-bones Miguel Tejada signing a ball for me one year in the lobby of the Baltimore Westin or Hyatt. He must've been 17, but shame on me for being so shocked and disappointed when the PED stories came out a decade later (and decimated the value of the MVP-year game-used jersey and bat we bought at FanFest). The guys were incredible. We had a dinner with Matt Stairs, I made friends with Don Wengert (who even called and left a voicemail message at my home just to say hi later in the year--I saved the mini-cassette tape), and top-prospect Ben Grieve not only had a conversation with us in the elevator but he remembered us later at the game and tossed me a broken bat. Other A's who were particularly friendly were Raffy Bournigal, Ariel Prieto, Scott Spiezio, 3rd Base coach Ron Washington and pitching coach Rick Peterson. Billy Beane even remembered my dad and was always gracious, but this is before he was the real-life counterpart of Brad Pitt. All the team balls, used wristbands, bats, jerseys and balls I got will always be precious reminders to me of the time my dad and I got to spend together before I became a total and complete drain on his income, and also of a time when my on-field heros acted just as heroic off the field. (It doesn't hurt that the mid- to late-90's A's were some of the most likable guys in the league at the time. Matt Stairs probably knew 200 people in the stands by name at any given home game.)

As I've gotten older, collecting has become more and more important to me. Since I really enjoy the nitty gritty of it (doing hours of research, making acquaintances and business friendships with other collectors and dealers, honing and trusting my instincts, etc.), it comes relatively naturally to me. I started out collecting and dealing in rare books when I came down to LA a few years ago, and I was pretty successful. I could've (and probably should've) made enough money to pay for a year of grad school, but instead I made very modest profits while building a collection I'm extremely proud of.

More recently, I've gotten into collecting game-used and pro model bats of pre-WWII Hall of Famers. I read up for weeks on the guys at MEARS and on the boards here and became infatuated with the off-brand bat companies like Kren's, Zinn Beck and Hanna. Not only do I find the designs of the bats really cool, but how else could you ever get a Jimmie Foxx pro model bat for $200?

I will certainly be posting items for sale on B/S/T from time to time, but I want to establish with everyone that I am first and foremost a collector, and that owning part of the game of baseball is very important to me. But having decided to go back to school, I will occasionally have to part with some of my items.

I also want to take this opportunity to give a commendation to the guys on the pre-1980 vintage memorabilia forum, especially Matt, for offering honest and straightforward advice and input to anyone who asks. I've purchased from a couple of you guys on eBay (with a different user name--it just happened that way) and have been very pleased that you handle yourselves with just as high standards on and off the forums. I've also been reading up on the autograph forums and have been really impressed with those guys, but I will refrain from naming any specific users for fear of getting caught in some horrible crossfire.

Bottom line, I'm really glad to have found this site and look forward to sharing my future discoveries with you.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:17 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Welcome to the board. Never too late to be belated!
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul S View Post
Welcome to the board. Never too late to be belated!
Paul, I wonder if Bebe Reboso knew Bebe Lated.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 05-09-2013 at 06:22 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 06:45 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Paul, I wonder if Bebe Reboso knew Bebe Lated.
Frank, I dare you to name another Bebe besides Reboso. And don't say Bebe Gunn.

Anway, apologies to the OP for this exchange.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:07 AM

Default Bebe

Isn't the current prime minister of Israel nicknamed Bebe??
Old 05-09-2013, 07:12 AM
P. Sp.ec.tor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokyBurgess View Post
Isn't the current prime minister of Israel nicknamed Bebe??
I do bebelieve you're right.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:16 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Welcome. Three of us are promoting a card show on the 18th in Culver City and several others have dealer tables. Here is the site:

http://www.socalsportscollectors.com

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...
Old 05-09-2013, 07:18 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

OMG - I hope the original poster has at least one B in his name.

I have already apologized privately for this distraction.

I bet this is the first Bebe thread in Net54 history. It's Paul's fault.

Just to legitimize this a bit. Here are 4 Bebes from Baseball Ref.

John Bebek 1946 CLE
David Beber 1967-1969 CLE
Vernon Bebernes 1950
Thomas Bebey 1937-1939 LAD

None made it to the show.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.
Old 05-09-2013, 12:33 PM

First of all, Bebe Neuwirth. I have no idea who she is but her name is taking up space in my brain, apparently just for this moment.

Second, Adam, I'm actually going to be at the Culver City show. Props on bringing a legit show to the LA city limits. I'm mailing payment today! Not sure if I'll sell anything, but I see it as an opportunity to show my collection to others who will appreciate it.
Old 05-09-2013, 04:36 PM
Max Weder

What area of rare books did you deal in?

There are only a few baseball book collectors on net54, of which I'm one, but it's always interesting to hear about other areas of book collecting

Max
Old 05-09-2013, 05:04 PM
Steve P
Steven Pacc.hiano

Welcome, nice to see some younger guys in the forum!
Successful transactions with: Drumback, Mart8081, Obcmac, Tonyo, markf31, gnaz01, rainier2004, EASE, Bobsbats, Craig M, TistaT202, Seiklis, Kenny Cole, T's please, Vic, marcdelpercio, poorlydrawncat, brianp-beme, mybuddyinc, Glchen, chernieto , old-baseball , Donscards, Centauri, AddieJoss, T2069bk,206fix, joe v, smokelessjoe, eggoman, botn, canjond

Looking for T205's or anything Babe Ruth...email or PM me if you have any to sell.
Old 05-09-2013, 05:05 PM

Default Welcome....

You'll love it here!!

Peace

Johnny
Old 05-09-2013, 10:28 PM
Barry Arnold

Default newbie

welcome aboard the board!!
all the best,
barry
Old 05-09-2013, 10:53 PM
Ken Wirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageGamerN00b View Post
First of all, Bebe Neuwirth. I have no idea who she is but her name is taking up space in my brain, apparently just for this moment.

She played Dr. Lilith Sternin-Crane from Cheers/Frazier.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:11 PM
David Pierson
Banned

Aloha! Welcome, Dave
Old 05-09-2013, 11:27 PM
Peter F

Welcome to the board dude. I may not collect movie props but really enjoyed your db Sweeney/Happy Felsch bat story. Good job checking Craigslist so often, etc. Effort typically pays off.

You'll have fun here. Welcome
Old 05-10-2013, 02:01 AM
Clayton

Welcome aboard & good luck hunting

Sincerely, Clayton