NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 12-21-2012, 03:05 PM

Default Lelands Auction Going Strong Still Lots of Room

Just a reminder that initial bids must be in by 9pm

The Robinson jersey is at about 250k
There are still many great deals
There are still 100+ lots with no bids
If you have the only bid before 9pm the lots is yours
You can go to bed early and sleep late too

We have had great feedback on the sale and there is lots of FRESH stuff
Take a look, it is not too late

I am here at the office if you need anything
516 409 9700

Thanks
Josh
Old 12-21-2012, 05:48 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Good luck tonight Josh. Hope to see you at the 2013 National.

and if I didn''t have one of those neat baseball cards, 1928 SOCIEDADE INDUSTRIAL, I would be all over them. .. (they aren't mine and I have no idea who the consignor is)

Last edited by Leon; 12-21-2012 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-21-2012, 06:15 PM

Default Mr. Mint

Al Rosen got them from a gentleman in Spain several months ago
We bought them from Rosen

Muy bueno
Josh
Old 12-21-2012, 06:31 PM

I've got a high bid now, here's to hoping it holds.
Old 12-21-2012, 08:38 PM
Belltown Vintage

High bidder on one of my 'grail' items. Yeah, I require lots of grails to quaff my virtual card ale.
Old 12-21-2012, 09:13 PM

Still winning my lot too. I gotta tell you I'm amazed to be on top. But I'm maxed out. One more bid will bump me.
Old 12-21-2012, 11:01 PM
Belltown Vintage

That 10-minute rule is crazy. If I get outbid, do I get an email?

Scott <=== hoping to wake up poor, but happy
Old 12-21-2012, 11:36 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

yes
Old 12-21-2012, 11:40 PM

I really wish there was a clock.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:08 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quiet - I'm trying to sleep.
Old 12-22-2012, 01:38 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Does this end this month or next year?
Old 12-22-2012, 01:43 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

What a beautiful UZIT and BL460
Old 12-22-2012, 02:12 AM

I'm pretty sure I won. Every other lot I click on says its closed so my lot must be closed too, right?

Last edited by packs; 12-22-2012 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:56 AM

Default wrong

not closed yet
josh
Old 12-22-2012, 03:10 AM

Ah. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 12-22-2012, 03:46 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Not a dig at Josh but is it really unrealistic to expect an auction any auction to close from extending bidding in less than 8hrs? This 10min rule is just brutal. Perhaps close the lots early say 12pm?:

Anyways looks like I won something nice auction Josh with nice stuff etc. Congrats on a successful auction.

Cheers,

John
Old 12-22-2012, 05:08 AM
Barry Sloate

I say get a good night's sleep, set your alarm early, make a pot of coffee, and get your final bids in. It doesn't even pay to stay up all night ( I'm not bidding, just making a general comment).

Last edited by barrysloate; 12-22-2012 at 05:08 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:12 AM
Marc S.

Default Went to bed

winning one lot...but was outbids at shortly before 4 a.m. EST.

Would have bid again, but Leland's loss (and the consignor's) for setting up the auction that way. Hope the winner enjoys his item.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:28 AM
Belltown Vintage

It's really not that bad. You'll get notified if someone outbids you - if you have email going to your phone, just place it next to your bed and go to sleep. Also, can't you ask for a callback on lots over $500?

Not sleeping is what big auctions are all about
Old 12-22-2012, 10:30 AM

Looks like I won!

Old 12-22-2012, 10:31 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

That sucks Marc, sorry.

This is why I don’t like this never ending 10 min rule. The bidder has three choices wait it out and bid which could go on forever. Go sleep hope guess a rough time to get up to bid again risking that when you return at 1-2am the auction is in fact shut down. Finally put trust in the proxy bid system with a ceiling bid which lots of folks are a bit scared of using.

Seems to me you end the thing around 12 or 5pm EST time then from then go into extended bidding. With a rough commitment to your customers that it won’t go past certain time period. Simply put what is happening is folks on the west coast start sitting down after watching late night TV to tuck into bidding until 2am. Just a late night at the bar for them but the schmucks on the east coast go without any sleep and are up with the Amish.

Seems to me there’s a better way to get folks to drop 10’s of thousands of dollars and be respectful of their time as well. Like I said not a bash on Josh most all auctions do this I just think there has to be a better way.

Cheers,

John
Old 12-22-2012, 10:38 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
Not sleeping is what big auctions are all about
Scott I agree once/twice a year no big deal, but there are dozens upon dozens of auctions these days. Sooner or later seems you would want to offer your customers a better solution than having to crawl out of bed like a fireman on call at 3:45am.

I really feel these guys leave more money on the table with this system than if they had a more firm timeline of ending. I know I would spend more with auction houses if I knew they had a more firm shut down time or knew I wouldn’t be up past a reasonable point.

Cheers,

John

Last edited by wonkaticket; 12-22-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:41 AM
Chris Browne
Administrator

John, nice score, I agree that there has to be a better way. The SCP (as you know) didn't have a countdown clock and you sat up waiting blind, did Leland's at least have the 10min countdown.

Why not have initial bids in by noon and then have extended bidding start mid day. Fortunately I am on MST, but there have been several occasions I'm still up watching a lot when Johnny is getting out of bed in NJ.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:45 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
Scott I agree once/twice a year no big deal, but there are dozens upon dozens of auctions these days. Sooner or later seems you would want to offer your customers a better solution than having to crawl out of bed like a fireman on call at 3:45am.

I really feel these guys leave more money on the table with this system than if they had a more firm timeline of ending. I know I would spend more with auction houses if I knew they had a more firm shut down time or knew I wouldn’t be up past a reasonable point.

Cheers,

John
John, I basically agree with you - I was just trying to be positive , especially after the negative Lelands comments Saco posted.

I think the 20 or 30 minute 'per lot' method is the only realistic way to go. Last night I was only interested in one lot, and no one bid on it after 7:00pm, so I knew very early that I had won. But if I had been going after multiple high-$ lots, and only had a fixed amount I could spend, the 10-minute rule would have made it impossible . I would have had to assume that I would win everything I was bidding on, which would have meant I couldn't bid on anything.

Last edited by Runscott; 12-22-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:50 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

No clock that I can recall Chris, I really think the ten minute rule should be on a per lot basis. No need to for me to be up till 5-6am because two dudes on the west coast are battling it out over a 1975 Topps set etc.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:51 AM
John
J0hn McD@niel

Scott if I’ve told you once I’ve told you a dozen times stop being positive.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:08 PM
seablaster@yahoo.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonkaticket View Post
No clock that I can recall Chris, I really think the ten minute rule should be on a per lot basis. No need to for me to be up till 5-6am because two dudes on the west coast are battling it out over a 1975 Topps set etc.
I echo Wonka's sentiment as well. I wish all auction houses would be kind and have lots close on an individual basis. I would also ask for extended bidding to start early. Having finally had the unfortunate experience of missing an auction end due to exhaustion after a grueling day at work, I no longer share the romanticism of staying up till all hours of the night bidding.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:10 PM
Marc S.

Default There are perhaps two

maybe three auctions per year that I'll stay up late for. Leland's Winter Catalog certainly doesn't pass that mark.

It wasn't anything I was dying to have, so I'll move on and forget about it quickly. I just think that some auctions do a disservice to their customers and consignors by essentially allowing them to go on through all hours of the night.

We're all adults here [although we don't always act that way...]. Give us a set of rules, and we'll adopt our bidding patterns to suit. I'm not convinced that extended bidding that goes 5, 10 or more hours really benefits anyone in the end -- particularly the auction house and consignors.

m
Old 12-22-2012, 01:19 PM

Even if you have initial bidding end at noon, the auction would go until the wee hours of the morning. REA actually has theirs end at 4 or 5 pm. EST and still goes til 3:30 am or later.

In our last auction we did the individual lot ending and the whole auction was over about midnight. You could see much more action on the lots earlier as bidders were aware that it was not going to be a hold out and wait em out situation.

Scott
Old 12-22-2012, 03:23 PM
Barry Sloate

The problem is nothing compels a bidder to get his bids in early. REA closes at 4:00 PM and there are tons of bidders who wait eight or ten hours before they first sit down to bid. I always believed the system was flawed but no auction house seems to care. They like it just the way it is.
Old 12-22-2012, 06:28 PM
Pete
Pet.er ian.nic.elli

I bid on the UZIT early in the auction and completely forgot about it.

Ended up winning it and got a good night sleep. Have no complaints.

W600 Cobb and Wagner
Sporting News/Collins McCarthy Jackson
Seamless Cobb rookie
Low Grade Ruth rookie

Cards:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/189414509@N08/albums
Old 12-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
The problem is nothing compels a bidder to get his bids in early. REA closes at 4:00 PM and there are tons of bidders who wait eight or ten hours before they first sit down to bid. I always believed the system was flawed but no auction house seems to care. They like it just the way it is.
Sitting here with a beer, mulling over the endless NFL playoff possibilities, so...

The biggest problem I see for Lelands is that their auction is boring on the final night. I placed my bid, and it would have been kind of 'fun' to watch the clock count down for my lot and know that I had won. It turned out that no one bid after my 6:00pm bid, so it was a waste of time watching the auction. With no clock, you have absolutely no idea what's going on. I know that 'fun' isn't supposed to be part of spending money, but this is a hobby, so it is.

I thoroughly enjoy sitting down with a bottle of red wine and watching my lots approach the end of the 30 minutes. It's entertainment. It's also kind of fun to put in a high ceiling bid, and watch someone manually bidding one increment every 29 minutes, while I just sip my wine and smile. Unless, of course, they run me all the way up to the maximum
Old 12-22-2012, 06:58 PM
Jeff P

This was my first time participating in Lelands and I don't know if I will do it again if this is the way they will continue to run their auctions.

1. I don't enjoy staying up all night so instead I bid for a while and then go to bed. I know this resulted in less $$$ for the auction house as two of the lots I was bidding on I would have bid more if I had know I was outbid. If lots ended one by one I would definitely stay up as long as necessary for those individual lots to close.

2. It's frustrating to not have a timer that shows the amount of time left in the auction. I like to keep track of the time left and also enjoy watching the countdown to the end.

jeff
Old 12-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runscott View Post
The biggest problem I see for Lelands is that their auction is boring on the final night.
It wouldn't be so boring if you could watch a dog bid on lots.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:51 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
I saw a dog driving a car, by himself, on Good Morning America, yesterday. Probably the same dude.
Old 12-22-2012, 07:59 PM
Jeffrey Lichtman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
I saw a dog driving a car, by himself, on Good Morning America, yesterday. Probably the same dude.
Ask Josh.
Old 12-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by calvindog View Post
well-played
Old 12-22-2012, 10:21 PM
Robert Williams

I am in agreement with everyone else. Not fair to the east coasters to have auctions go all hours of the night. Definitely favors the West Coast. I believe Hunt Auctions, Legendary, Huggins & Scott and a few of the others have it right. End lots on an individual basis - that way you get only the bidders who are actively interested in certain lots, and force them to bid or give it up!
Old 12-23-2012, 04:27 AM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

A couple of years ago, it seemed to be the consensus that ending auctions lot by lot hurt consignors (but not bidders) (see this thread: Link), and Huggins & Scott even had a poll once asking if they should change their auction ending procedures. (The results were to keep it the same.) However, it looks like the thinking is changing where consignors are now also believed to be disadvantaged by the all lots close at the same time style.
Old 12-23-2012, 07:19 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by glchen View Post
A couple of years ago, it seemed to be the consensus that ending auctions lot by lot hurt consignors (but not bidders) (see this thread: Link), and Huggins & Scott even had a poll once asking if they should change their auction ending procedures. (The results were to keep it the same.) However, it looks like the thinking is changing where consignors are now also believed to be disadvantaged by the all lots close at the same time style.
Scott and I have had many discussions on how to end our auctions. And we do have enough lots for it to stay open until 4am+ CST. At this point, with our auction s/w finally being able to do it, we believe keeping all bidders interested is the best strategy. That means letting everyone have an equal chance and closing them individually. He and I are both very active collectors and we both feel we will bid more if we are ON a lot and can stay on it, instead of playing the "how late can I stay up" game. Now, that being said...a company like REA with only one auction a year, we will make an exception for and stay up. Many times on the all-nighters I go to bed before they are over, thereby causing the consignors potential money in their pockets. I don't bid in my sleep and I rarely leave up to bids. There is no perfect answer but this is our thinking right now. We reserve the right to change our minds. One thing everyone should also keep in mind too, the reason some might not close individually is because their s/w won't let them. Yes, one of the major s/w's used wouldn't ever allow us to close individually.. That is one reason we changed s/w. Happy collecting.
Old 12-23-2012, 10:43 AM
Greg Schwartz
Banned

Has anyone received their invoice? I only got a notification of what I won. Maybe they are catching up on sleep????
Old 12-23-2012, 11:28 AM
Belltown Vintage

Quote:
Originally Posted by botn View Post
Has anyone received their invoice? I only got a notification of what I won. Maybe they are catching up on sleep????
Not yet. They said to wait for the email or paper invoice.