NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 06-01-2008, 08:55 PM
Administrator

Default Postcards taking off?

Posted By: bigfish

It seems like the vintage postcards are starting to take off. Anyone see the prices on the novelty cutlery and other PC's in the major auctions? Do folks think the prices will continue to rise?

Old 06-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Paul

I couldn't imagine the Novelty Cutlery PC's going much higher. The prices are getting crazy. I have 15 of the 26 cards in the set, but I'm taking a break from buying them for now. Going to concentrate on other sets.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:01 AM
Administrator

Posted By: davidcycleback

Novelty Cutlery always strikes me as a peculiar product name. Remember Dan Akoyd's 'Bag of Glass Shards'?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Administrator

Posted By: fkw

Postcards started taking off 3-4 years ago. I remember back in the 2001-2004 days picking up all kinds of PC796 Sepia and Nov Cut PCs for only $75-$300 ea. raw (Johnson, Lajoie, Collins, Plank, Walsh, etc. and sometimes in small groups), and now the same condition ones sell for 4-5X+ more.

Its funny because both of these PC sets are not as rare as they seem. They were seen far more often on eBay in its earlier days than now. I believe that a major reason for their higher value now, they are drying up because many of them are now permanent fixtures in major collection, and when they do hit eBay there is some fighting for them now.

This can be said for many of the "type cards" too.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:52 AM
Administrator

PS, On a strange note, I just opened an email 10 minutes after I replied above....,

and I have a guy here (who wrote me because he Googled "Novelty Cutlery" and my website came up) asking me if Ive ever seen a large premium that shows the Novelty Cutlery image of Ty Cobb, but he also says that there is an insignia of the Nov. Cut. company in the lower right corner of the image. He describes the paper stock as "old woodsilk type paper". I just emails him back for more info on the item (size etc.), and a possible scan.
To me it sounds like a possible window display or something similar??? for the Novelty Cutlery Postcards, wouldnt that be something. Im jumping the gun slightly, because I havent even see a picture of the item and the owner seems to be a noncollector.

Ive never seen anything baseball related beside the postcards, anyone ever seen a Novelty Cutlery premium or display piece with Cobb??

I'll update if I find out more.

PS I actually get these emails out of the blue quite often

Old 06-02-2008, 06:08 AM
Administrator

I got the same email from this person who Googled Novelty Cutlery & found me, & told me about their silk Novelty Cutlery. I received some poor scans, but the item didn't look legit at all (atleast from the poor scans), so I dismissed it as fake & deleated the emails & scans. Also, the emails were written poorly I thought, so that gave me a red flag too. I've never seen any premium or any other legit item other than Novelty Cutlery postcards.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:34 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jimmy

Any of the postcards related to baseball are doing well if they are professional teams or players.

Jimmy

Old 06-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Administrator

Sorry to turn this into a Novelty Cutlery post, but this is sort of interesting too

Hi Paul, I just got the pics too.

Here are the scans, the guy says it is roughly Postcard size.

Premium??? Looks sort of old, but??????

Old 06-03-2008, 06:55 AM
Administrator

Hi Frank, you certainly got better scans than I did. It still looks like some sort of reprint to me, but a silk? Here's my black & white Cobb PC for comparison. Also, the sender of the emails did mention to me that it was rejected by an auction house for being too shiny? He did not say who the auction house was. I would enlarge my scan If I was awake enough to figure out how

Old 06-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

Paul, Very nice Cobb SGC postcard. Spectacular! Whats your price? Steve.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

Guys:

I don't buy the Novelty Cutlery Premium idea with that Cobb piece. IMHO, I think it is a modern reproduction made on old paper with a vintage look to it. I wouldn't pay a penny for it.

Old 06-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Tyler

fkw, and others...

Any thoughts on population of the Novelty Cutlery and Sepia PC's? You said they are not as rare as they seem. I see the pop reports don't show many graded examples, how many raw examples do you estimate exist? Are the Cutlery PC's more rare than the Sepias?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:25 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Phil Garry

I think both the Novelty & Sepia P/C's are significantly scarce and the recent surge in vintage baseball postcards has brought out the profit seekers looking to capitalize on the current market conditions. Prior to the last six months, I have rarely seen either issue for sale on e-bay or in any of the major auction houses over the past few years.

Old 06-03-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee

Hi guys, you are giving me a good laugh today. First off, I have no reason to lie or mislead because I don't care if I sell this thing or not I mean look at it!! Have you ever seen anything so sweet?? One clarification: I was NOT told by auction house that the piece was "too shiny," I was told that the ink was "too shiny," leaving me with an old beautiful Ty Cobb image that is too dark for an auction house that auctions CARDS. Gee do you think it's too dark for the card because IT IS THE ORIGINAL IMAGE USED TO MASS PRODUCE THOSE CARDS? PS Frank I'm hurt LOL
PSS another hint: it was only available in the catalogue

Old 06-03-2008, 03:50 PM
Administrator

Wow, your an expert already.

Am I the Frank? you are referring too?

I was excited for a moment after your 1st email.... before I saw the images, because I thought it may have been some sort of window display from you vague description of "large" and "Novelty Cutlery logo in corner" (there is no logo on your item, it is a small print ID just like the postcards. Basically your item reproduces the exact image of the Postcard (not the other way around).

I never wrote anything bad about you, I fished the image out here to get some replies. I personally dont believe it is vintage. It is not a proof, if you ever see an authentic postcard the image is far superior to the image on your paper thing. I was going to wait for more posts and then write you back later today and tell you I cant tell you more about your item, it is an unknown. No one here (there are thousands of vintage card collectors that check out this board) knows what it is or has ever heard of a "Catalog Premium" or seen it.
Your best bet is to show everyoner this so called "catalog" you are referring too, that would be a major find in itself.

Good luck,

Old 06-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BRIANKW

Hi Lee,
You are heading down a deadend road at over 125 mph.... The scans you posted couldn't have made a bad reprint, much less a real Postcard. And FKW has sold more "tough" cards then you will ever find. He was kind enough to give you his opinion, so if you choose to ignore it, take it somewhere else, because we won't respond well. Be safe Brian

PS Hi Frank.... How's the view???? It's a beauty here on Isle of the Palms... Kite surfers are up..

Old 06-03-2008, 04:16 PM
Administrator

Hi Brian, its nice today going to the Hilo airport in a few minutes to pick up a friend visiting.

I had to google images of "Isle of the Palms" and wow I didnt know S. Carolina had such nice beaches, far nicer than we have here on the windward side of the Big Island. Everything is black and rough here, but pretty in its own way.

Aloha Frank

Old 06-03-2008, 05:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: BRIANKW

Hi Frank,
Enjoy the day.... The beaches here in SC are beautiful, but if you come to see me in NC i'll take you to the Outer Banks... And you might never leave... Parts of our coast look a lot like the explorers saw them in the 1700's... Be well Brian

PS You would be a local in a few weeks when it takes most people a lifetime.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:13 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Todd

Old 06-14-2008, 11:52 PM
Administrator

Here is the link to the purchase.....

http://www.ioffer.com/ratings/bigbadgodofwar1

Old 06-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

The Wagner Fan Craze sold for $50 was fake as a $3 bill also.....most times where this is one fake there are more.....they mulitply quickly due to greed.....and I am not talking about the poster here but about fakes in general....

Old 07-04-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

Hey leon, THX for call on the Honus, can you tell me why you know this? PS I've lived in both SC and Hawaii, been to all those beaches.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

It's easy to be skeptical and make the big announcement "I would never pay a dime." Those naysayers are a dime a dozen: LESS. I was just checking with some experts, those I contacted that have chatted on ths site, to see if they had heard of it.

However sorry just because someone has not heard of something does not mean it's fake. Rare things by nature have not been found before. I do agree with the post that finding the catalogue pic would be nice, I have scoured around and found one catalogue from novely cutlery but not 1907--they indeed do print their set of images for the year in a catalogue, if anyone out there ever saw the 1907 catalogue that would be nice, what I really need also is an antique expert that can identify the age of the paper. Frank I was just kidding lol.

I'm trying to get beyond the "never heard of it so it must be fake" repeaters and really dig in and see where this could have come from. PS like authentic cards, most reprints are recognizable because they have been seen before, no one has demonstrated any insight or info enough to make a call either way, so thanks for all the opinions, but I would appreciate some facts from here on in if anyone can shed some light.

PSS That seller Big Bad God of War has subsequently had a lot of stuff come up fake, but not everything. I know someone who bought a bunch of stuff from him, they sent it in for grading, and among the rejects were a couple authentic old cards. That's as much as I can say, and know. Peace out to all

And as far as that "greed" line, I am looking for nice old stuff, and trying to trace it's history, not fortune hunting.

Old 07-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Administrator

You can't call something fake unless you say why, if what you are saying is accurate I would like to know otherwise I don't want people jumping to conclusions based on your word, another thing I have noticed people is how quickly people call something fake, but how reluctant they are to say why they think so

Old 07-04-2008, 10:36 PM
Administrator

Hi Lee. Leon, Frank, & others on this board have studied & handled more cards than I could ever dream of at this time. They know their stuff. I know a thing or two about Novelty Cutlery cards myself. Here's a digital picture of what the printing needs to look like under a microscope for your Novelty Cutlery Cobb to have any chance to be authentic for that time period. Notice the dark rim around the ink. Premium or not, the printing still needs to be vintage. A 50x microscope will do the job.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:47 PM
Administrator

Paul you're beautiful! I don't doubt anybody's credibility or expertise, I just need proof not opinions anymore. Now I need a microscope. You say we are looking at the image of the printed ink of the letters here? in other words, there needs to be black rims around the ink for this image to have a chance. Thank you man!

PS the seller of this item also sold me a 1 of a kind Scoreboard Kobe Auto card, with the back guaranteed by Scoreboard to be authentic. In the interests of full disclosure, I am sharing facts.

Old 07-04-2008, 11:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

Lee, there is no way in hell that Cobb item is "real". Every single "vintage" card that Bigbadgodofwar dude sold is a fake. Who sells a Ty Cobb Sporting Life Cabinet for $50? Or a Fan Craze Wagner for the same?

Old 07-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Jerry

The back and forth between those guys is Hilarious.
Big bad was doing everything he could not to lose that sale.
Funny Stuff

Old 07-05-2008, 04:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: chiprop

Paul, your Cobb is awesome. Mine is postally used in EX condition. Steve, feel free to make me an offer! Bigfish... Postcards are really taking off and I would expect that more people start to aquire them as the cards they collect become boring or guys expand their intrests.

Old 07-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Administrator

Hi Dan. Thanks for the compliment, & yours is a beauty too. Is yours the sepia variation?

Old 07-05-2008, 08:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: leon

Lee- when a card is so overwhelmingly fake looking from the scan then yes, I can say with 100% certainty that it is in fact fake. I might not be the best expert in the world but I would say I have handled at least 400-500 Fan Craze cards. I can tell by the grainy look of the picture on that Wagner as well as the brownish fake staining. It is a terrible fake. Here is one from my collection. Do I really need to say anymore? BTW, I too thought the back and forth with the guy not wanting to lose the buys rather funny......

edited a few typos

Old 07-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Posted By: chiprop

paul- I didn't know there were any variations in the Cutlery PC's. Can you see the difference from a scan? Can you show an example? I always wondered why there were variations in the printing process for postcards. I had a near set of pc800's and there were 3 different variations of the same card. Maybe the cards were produced at different locations or at different times. Otherwise, it wouldn't make any sense at all.
Thank you for not going after Rose Co. PC's!! At the rate you are buying, I'd be lucky to get another one.
Email me when you get a chance dan@chiprop.com, we need to talk

Old 07-06-2008, 10:44 AM
Administrator

Posted By: steve

Bummed ebay seller I am.

I recently listed in 7 day ebay auction a 1926-29 Postcard/Exhibit Babe Ruth, pose, PSA 4. A true hobby classic with an outstanding photo of the Babe in his prime.

Hoping for at least a thousand, perhaps more, the winning bid was a measly $698. - not pleased at all - few hundred less than I paid. Jeez, if I could have known I would have ended auction early and kept card.

Major surprise at low price and big ouch! hmmm.

I usually get very nice prices on my stuff. I also have 100 percent feedback! Go figure.

steve

Old 07-07-2008, 06:43 PM
Administrator

I'll post some examples in a couple weeks. The sepia variations are subtle, & not as pronounced as the T222 or PC796, but you can see the difference in side by side scans. Also, I'll plan on emailing you soon.