NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 06-19-2010, 12:03 PM
John

Default Mears Bulletin Board Question

I have a curious question for those of you familiar with how the Mears bulletin board works.
Yesterday I searched on "Zinn Beck" and enjoyed several posts from 3 to 5 years ago regarding Zinn Beck bats. I saw this post:

[B]wagner zinn beck[/B]
August 4 2006 at 2:56 PM
One final note on this style Zinn Beck bat. On page 70 of Steven Wongs book "Smithsonian Baseball", there is a picture of Ruth kissing one of his bats along with six bats between his knees. One of the bats is plainly visible and it is a Zinn Beck oval logo model 100 with Bob Muesel Model stamped on the barrel identical to the Wagner model. The photo is dated Sept. 29, 1926 hence, we know that this model bat was used in the major leagues at least in 1926. How much earlier this model 100 circle logo bat appeared is unknown. Since Wagner's last season in the major leagues as a player was 1917, the Zinn Beck in question is at least a coaches era hand turned model. Could it date back to 1917, Wagner's last season? All we can do is keep searching. David Bushing

Having done a fair amount of research on Zinn Beck, I posted the following, or something very close to it.

Jun 18, 2010 9:31 AM
Dave & others, This may be well known at this point. If not, here goes anyway...In January 1922, Zinn Beck and two partners applied for their charter of Beck Manufacturing Co. to be located in Columbia, SC. Diamond Ace bats made in Columbia had an oval label. The oval label was also used on bats made in Greenville when Zinn Beck moved the operation there in 1923, when he managed the Greenville team.

So as we all like to do, I checked a few times yesterday to see if there were any responses. No responses. Today, I noticed my post was gone. When I did a search, I found a portion of my comment. When I clicked to open it, it responded with:

No such message

Can someone explain this to me?
Old 06-19-2010, 12:32 PM
Chris G.

Default Zinn Beck Bats

John V -

Is this one of the bats in your collection these days? I hope that all is going well and would love to see some more pictures of your collection. Good Luck with your research today. I picked up a few signed 3x5 cards of Zinn Beck and will send you one if you email your address to me (and care to have one).

Take Care and Happy Collecting

Chris
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC05992.jpg (77.3 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05993.jpg (76.9 KB, 167 views)
File Type: jpg DSC05994.jpg (77.3 KB, 165 views)
Old 06-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Clint

John, did you post your full name and email? These are required if I remember correctly or they will delete your post.
Old 06-19-2010, 05:04 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default not quite

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksfarmboy View Post
John, did you post your full name and email? These are required if I remember correctly or they will delete your post.
Not sure if you are referring to this board but that is not the case here. Only if you get into a heated debate, or accusation type post, do you need to not remain private. In those kinds of threads the majority of the board feels you should not remain anonymous (publicly). I concur with that sentiment. Not sure about any other boards but that is the situation here, as it has been for at least the last 5 yrs. MEARS might have different policies on their board, I don't know.

Last edited by Leon; 06-19-2010 at 05:05 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 06:07 PM
John

Although registered, I did not post my full name, etc. Maybe that is the reason for deletion.

Chris,
Thanks for the offer on the ZB autograph. I already have a couple. Yes, I still have the bat manufactured in Columbia.

If anyone else has a Beck bat made in Columbia, I would love to see photos.
John
Old 06-19-2010, 07:58 PM
Matt

Not made in Columbia, but Wagner..
Matt
Old 06-19-2010, 10:44 PM
Clint

Yep Leon, I was talking about Mears. We're pretty relaxed here.
Old 06-20-2010, 05:34 AM
John

I thought I was providing some useful info on the history of ZB bats. Maybe I should repost without being anonymous.