NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-22-2015, 08:23 PM
Ben Gregory
Ben Gre,gory

Default COMC horror story (Dean's Cards included)

(originally posted on COMC's facebook page)

I made a great buy on COMC!

1951 Bowman #165
Ted Williams [GOOD] [edit] [share]
Item: 18806193
N/A $8.25 8/3/2015 1:23:08 AM

COMC bought it back from me.

1951 Bowman #165
Ted Williams [GOOD] [edit] [share]
Item: 18806193

-Sold 8/13/2015 3:23:55 PM for $8.25 Bought for $8.25

Also bought a great Rocky Bridges card for $11.25:

http://www.comc.com/…/Rocky_Bridg…/1...IEWED/DCR/FAIR

It was actually a Stan Musial that was listed incorrectly. Follow the link to see the card. COMC bought it out of my inventory even thought it was listed as not for sale, and gave me store credit when I paid with Paypal (COMC store credit is worth about $.40 on the dollar). They could have at least made me an offer or contacted me before removing the card.

1953 Bowman Black and White #32
Rocky Bridges [FAIR] [edit] [share]
Item: 18660202

-Sold 8/13/2015 3:23:14 PM for $11.25 Bought for $11.25

My experience in retail has always been if the store makes a mistake, it's on them. If it's priced wrong on the retail floor, there are no do-overs. I could have bought those cards on ebay for $50-75 for the pair, considering the poor condition. I can't understand COMC's actions and would love to see where in their terms of service this is allowed. I've spent $125 cash at COMC in the last two months.

END FACEBOOK POST

The email help was worthless. Just went in circles. Either they can't say Dean's Cards is too big a customer to cross, or they didn't understand the issue. It's really soured me on the site. My favorite thing about COMC is treasure hunting. I've saved about 100 other mislisted Dean's Cards.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stan musial find comc.jpg (56.4 KB, 587 views)
File Type: jpg stan musial find rev comc.jpg (78.8 KB, 585 views)
File Type: jpg Ted-Williams find comc.jpg (53.1 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg Ted-Williams find rev comc.jpg (58.8 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg comc screenshot.jpg (76.2 KB, 583 views)
File Type: jpg inventory screen.jpg (73.8 KB, 583 views)
Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

People make mistakes. An OBVIOUS mistake was made in the listing, and consumers expect the item to be " given " to them. ? You knew it was a mistake when you bought it and your crying foul? Get over it.
Old 10-22-2015, 08:54 PM
Al Richter

Default Post

Are you looking for sympathy and understanding, or retribution and justice ?
Old 10-22-2015, 09:00 PM
Curt

Not to defend this buyer, as I tend to agree that mistakes of this nature shouldn't be treated the same as say mistakenly placing a $5 card in a quarter box. Remember the Ryan rookie story where the kid bought it in a shop for $12 instead of $1200?

However, doesn't the seller have to "approve" the listings first? I have never sold on COMC, but it seems like COMC would need to limit their liability somehow, unless they can simply repurchase anything that you bought without asking or telling you (which it appears may be the case).
Old 10-22-2015, 10:39 PM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
People make mistakes. An OBVIOUS mistake was made in the listing, and consumers expect the item to be " given " to them. ? You knew it was a mistake when you bought it and your crying foul? Get over it.
I agree with this assessment, but do feel he should have been offered a refund through paypal.

I do not feel people who try to take advantage of obvious mistakes should be rewarded. If something is marked incorrectly in a store or even an advertisement they can print a retraction or change the price to the correct one.
Old 10-23-2015, 03:54 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

The COMC representative responded back in a thread on blowoutforums that the cards were not actually for sale. It was due to a glitch in their software that the cards were loaded in the first place. I think it was old stock that was his reasoning.
I wouldn't call this a horror story. Yes, they would have been great flips, but you weren't really out anything. The guys dealing with damaged cards that couldn't get them covered by insurance have bigger problems to deal with.

I bought a 1933 Goudey that the pictures showed a wrong back, so I bought it and had it inspected. When they provided new scans showing that it was the correct back and the image was inserted improperly, I alerted their customer service that their images were showing up inaccurately. They patched the software and that has abated as of now. But I bought they card knowing it could be inaccurate, so I don't feel I'm out anything.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:22 AM
Ben North

To the OP. That sucks that you got screwed by COMC and Dean's Card's. I like how everybody is saying how they would have done the right thing, LOL I call BS. A scammer recently listed cards on this site way too cheap and members here were fighting over who was the first to purchase the fake Aaron listing. Only one member jad22(much respect to you sir) said anything about the cards being listed too cheap.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:28 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Why don't you STFU Ben. I'm tired of you and Jake putting your damn two cents in. On everything. No one asked you and your fake card making self.

Last edited by Laxcat; 10-23-2015 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-23-2015, 07:50 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
To the OP. That sucks that you got screwed by COMC and Dean's Card's. I like how everybody is saying how they would have done the right thing, LOL I call BS. A scammer recently listed cards on this site way too cheap and members here were fighting over who was the first to purchase the fake Aaron listing. Only one member jad22(much respect to you sir) said anything about the cards being listed too cheap.
You can call BS all you want, but there are people who will do the right thing. The OP did not get screwed by anyone, if anything he was the one trying to do the screwing, as you so eloquently put it. You have a good day now.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:09 AM
Al Richter

Default Thread

Well if nothing else is accomplished in this thread we at least managed to get Ben to laugh out loud.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:10 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

in situations like this, i always use golf's number 1 and 2 rules, keeping in mind it's a gentleman's game:

1. always use the rules to your advantage.
2. if something isn't up to par, penalize yourself.

sounds like your ball was on the cart path, you took your club length but didn't take full relief leaving your back heel touching the cart path.

you're the only one w/ the score card here.

the ultimate question: you gonna mark it a 4 or a 6?
Old 10-23-2015, 08:14 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laxcat View Post
Why don't you STFU Ben. I'm tired of you and Jake putting your damn two cents in. On everything. No one asked you and your fake card making self.
At least my "fake card making self" uses my knowledge to help fellow collectors and not take advantage of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCRfan1 View Post
You can call BS all you want, but there are people who will do the right thing. The OP did not get screwed by anyone, if anything he was the one trying to do the screwing, as you so eloquently put it. You have a good day now.
You are correct there are some great people in this hobby that do the right thing. Notice I how gave a fellow member a shout out for doing the right thing in my post. Thank you I will have a good day and wish you one also.
Old 10-23-2015, 08:32 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Ben, I know you're a good guy in the hobby when your transactions list " too many names to remember " !
Old 10-23-2015, 09:03 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Hmmm.... So now not only I am greedy, I "fought over the card" and apparently am trying to rip everyone off and intentionally doing harm to the hobby?

You very obviously don't know me. I have done many transactions on here and I would say I pay quite strongly.

And yes, you make fake cards. Are you denying that? You want to talk about harm to the hobby....
Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 AM
Ben North

Quote:
Hmmm.... So now not only I am greedy, I "fought over the card" and apparently am trying to rip everyone off and intentionally doing harm to the hobby?

You very obviously don't know me. I have done many transactions on here and I would say I pay quite strongly.

And yes, you make fake cards. Are you denying that? You want to talk about harm to the hobby....
Please post any info you have on me trying to screw anybody with a fake card in the last 20 years. I will give you till this time tomorrow to try to find any. After you don't I expect an apology for your slander. What you will find is me trying to stop people from being screwed by people selling fake and altered cards.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 AM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Please state where I said you sold them. I'll give you until tomorrow to find it. And I believe it would be libel anyway. Is this considered print? You make them. They get out. Period.
Get off your high horse.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Chris.tian Aug.ustus

worst thread ever.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:38 AM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

no, i love you more.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:41 AM
Robert Williams

Quote:
Originally Posted by bnorth View Post
That's because the Aaron wasn't listed too cheap. It wasn't a "giveaway" price. The same card on Ebay nets what the seller was asking for here. $600 on Ebay is actually LESS than the $550 he was getting here.
Old 10-23-2015, 11:51 AM

If this is a "horror story" you have lived a pretty blessed life.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:00 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

Quote:
I not even make any comments on this thread..so I guess im not putting my 2 cents on everything.....I not sure how its bad if I call out fraud on other threads...i not sure why that's bad if ben calls out fraud either...I never said anything negative about you and called out my name.....i not even say anything at all in this thread...but yeah if you call out my name I will say something...im sure you would as well if I said posted something negatively about you in another thread...geez....what a guy to do...

by the way your attack on Ben makes no sense.:

Quote:

how it is a harm to the hobby to make fake cards...like you said he isn't selling them.(and you made a big point to say that)....if you need conditions on what is done after a fake card is made to be harmful to the hobby, that's not what you are implying...you are just saying making fake cards is harmful........making general allegations that are wrong are harmful to the hobby...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-23-2015 at 12:12 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:07 PM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by benlee66 View Post
COMC bought it out of my inventory even thought it was listed as not for sale, and gave me store credit when I paid with Paypal (COMC store credit is worth about $.40 on the dollar). They could have at least made me an offer or contacted me before removing the card.
There is a lot of talk about the OP thinking he was trying to get a good deal or not, but the problem I see is in this part of the post.

To cash out on COMC it costs 20% of the cash out amount along with $1 per transaction when it goes to paypal. So if the OP put money in just to buy the card and then COMC refunded it as store credit when doing the reversal the OP could be out money if he tries to cash out.

If I was the OP I would try and get the cash out as a refund. The way the transaction went down it may not automatically allow this because of this rule on the COMC site under the refunds rule:
Quote:
Sellers: We will review your account. If you used your purchased store credit and then earned it back from selling items, you will still be subject to the 20% Cash-Out Fee
But since this was an error on COMC's side then they should allow the full refund.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:10 PM
ja.ke liebe.rman

Location: https://www.psacard.com/psasetregistry/mysetregistry/set/348387

duplicate

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-23-2015 at 12:11 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 12:17 PM
Ben Gregory
Ben Gre,gory

I don't see it as a question of ethics. It's business. It's up to COMC to list things correctly. It's no different than cherrypicking the obscure variations that aren't listed in Beckett, but are worth a decent premium.

Of course they are going to say it's not available. I'm skeptical. My previous shipment from them included the following from DeansCards:

'64 Mays/Aaron #423 with a '66 Ernie Broglios #423 sticker on back ($1.50)
'64 Kelley/Siebert #552 with a '64 Aspromonte #252 sticker on back ($1.15)

It was handled poorly by COMC. They should have contacted me prior to buying it out of my account when I had it marked for shipment and at least offered my cash back. Since it was considered a sale, the paypal I put in became store credit.
Old 10-23-2015, 04:19 PM
M@rk Comer

Quote:
Matt has helped me w/my Brooks collection so I appreciate the deal he extended to me (just as a note of appreciation).

As for the horror story... If we're in the hobby long enough we'll have some negative transactions or interact w/not so friendly individuals, but this, in my view, is really not that bad in the scheme of things...
Old 10-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Ralph Gee
Banned

Default Deans

I like that - STFU !!!
Old 10-23-2015, 06:14 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
in situations like this, i always use golf's number 1 and 2 rules, keeping in mind it's a gentleman's game:

1. always use the rules to your advantage.
2. if something isn't up to par, penalize yourself.

sounds like your ball was on the cart path, you took your club length but didn't take full relief leaving your back heel touching the cart path.

you're the only one w/ the score card here.

the ultimate question: you gonna mark it a 4 or a 6?
If the course has a maximum score for a hole that's what I put. Because I'm probably over it anyway.

That's why I'd simply hit it off the cart path. That would be really great compared to where it usually ends up.

Steve B
Old 10-23-2015, 07:21 PM
Bob Ev@ns
Banned

nothing states ya cant play it off the cart path, it's actually a shorter walk.

penalty only occurs if you elect to take relief but your shoe still touches the path.

fore!

Last edited by begsu1013; 10-23-2015 at 09:51 PM.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:13 PM
M.att C H A R L T O N

Mark thanks for the kindness.

Look yall. I lost my temper. Happens. I'm keeping it out of the threads from now on.

Cheers
Matt
Old 10-24-2015, 03:28 PM
Jeff

Another episode of The Real Collectors of Net54.

HOF Type Collector + Philly A's, E/M/W cards, M101-6, Exhibits, Postcards, 30's Premiums & HOF Photos

"Assembling an unfocused collection for nearly 50 years."
Old 10-24-2015, 06:15 PM
Steve Birmingham

Quote:
Originally Posted by begsu1013 View Post
nothing states ya cant play it off the cart path, it's actually a shorter walk.

penalty only occurs if you elect to take relief but your shoe still touches the path.

fore!
I would have never known that.

My one round was well over 100 for the 9 hole course. And totally bizarre. The couple guys who joined my friend and I thought I was putting one over on them at first. The first two holes had a very nice curve to the right, exactly where I usually hit the ball. Second hole the tee shot lands behind a shrub. As they're explaining my options for moving it out I said "I'll just rev up and hit it through there" Which somehow worked
The third however bent to the left and their suspicions were dashed as I hit a few hopelessly into the woods.
the highlights?
5th, a LONG hole and I lifted my head so the tee shot went about 10 feet. Passed on being allowed to do it over and when asked said I'd hit it hard - it would go into the woods and hopefully hit a tree and bounce forward. Which actually happened!
A couple holes later the ball ended up on a little bit of grass at the side of a gully just before the green . Easy right? Wrong, put about 6-7 into the water including one I chased because I was really low on balls by then.
Lost one in some high grass and searched with no luck.
Next hole was the opposite direction and I hit another into the same patch of grass. Found the first ball and asked " so what do I do if I found the ball I lost on the last hole? " By then the answer was "Just play it!"

So pretty much a total disaster except I had a lot of fun.

Steve B
Old 10-25-2015, 07:26 AM
Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by HRBAKER View Post
Another episode of The Real Collectors of Net54.
At least there was no staged hair pulling, eye gouging and fake body parts.
Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 AM
Ben Gregory
Ben Gre,gory

I have no clue what the overwhelming majority of the posts are talking about or referencing, but I enjoyed them.

Some Lil Wayne lyrics come to mind:

"And you could take that to the bank and deposit that
Put your two cents in, and get a dollar back"

"About all of the money that done came and went
About the two cents I ain’t never spent"

"Be dead before I be dead broke
Still burn money, my bread toast
**** it, if you got it spend it ***
But just keep your two pennies ***"
Old 11-06-2015, 07:37 AM
Ben Gregory
Ben Gre,gory

i'll let the pictures do the talking
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0013.jpg (79.0 KB, 149 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0012.jpg (80.1 KB, 149 views)
Old 11-06-2015, 08:13 AM
Al Richter

Default Talking pictures

I can't hear them, what are they saying ?
Old 11-06-2015, 02:55 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

I think they're saying "Why did you stick a sticker to the back of me?"

You can return cards to COMC within a 14 day window from receiving them. I would make use of that.
Old 11-06-2015, 04:27 PM
Al Richter

Default Stickers

Tell them the stickers are on the sleeves, not them

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 11-06-2015 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-07-2015, 10:54 AM
J0hn Raff3rty

Then the stickers are also mislabeled, or they sent the wrong sleeves.
Old 11-07-2015, 11:08 AM
Al Richter

Default Labels

Could be. Neither COMC or Dean's shows the sleeves on their sites as far as I have seen. They both allow you to see the front and backs of the cards they offer. As a variant collector I like that. I never pay much attention to how either rate the overall condition of the card in any description. I just go by the scans and verify I received the card I ordered. I have never been surprised by a card I received from them. Some view their prices a too high. If I think the price is too high for the condition, I just don't buy. No big deal.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALR-bishop View Post
Some view their prices as too high. If I think the price is too high for the condition, I just don't buy. No big deal.
+1
Old 11-07-2015, 03:56 PM
Steven Finley

Not a horror story. It was obviously a mis-listing. The rest of the thread... whatever.