NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-16-2010, 11:14 AM
Phil Garry

One other thing to consider is the advantage that an on-line baseball card catalogue/database such as the ones maintained by OldCardboard and VCP have in that they can update all of their information at a moment's notice as they are not limited to a once-a-year time frame for updates. It appears that this concept is really the wave of the future (and maybe even the present with blackberries, etc.).

Last edited by bcbgcbrcb; 02-16-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-16-2010, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbgcbrcb View Post
One other thing to consider is the advantage that an on-line baseball card catalogue/database such as the ones maintained by OldCardboard and VCP have in that they can update all of their information at a moment's notice as they are not limited to a once-a-year time frame for updates. It appears that this concept is really the wave of the future (and maybe even the present with blackberries, etc.).
No doubt. But it is very hard to keep internet updates long-term. History has to dictate something more concrete, otherwise we lose so much information.

When I was researching the 1966 unreleased Beach Boys album "Smile" during the early years of the internet, tons of new information was emerging from inside the walls of the long-closed Beach Boys world. In many instances throughout my life, I have just thought such information would always be available and I did nothing, but in this instance, I must pat myself on the back for printing out literally hundreds of pages from emails and internet sites now long-gone.

And I suggest that that will be the same with much of this baseball card knowledge should nothing concrete find its way into libraries.
Old 02-16-2010, 12:17 PM
Barry Sloate

Didn't Brian Wilson release "Smile" just a few years ago?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:41 PM

Not to derail, but, yes and no. He did not release it as it was originally recorded during the psychedelic era. He re-recorded everything and released it as a 2004 solo album.

The original tapes remain unreleased.

I was a writer and researcher on a documentary about the album produced by Showtime in 2004, but the film was more of an homage to Brian Wilson's efforts to finish it than a true look at its place in the context of '60s counter-culture.

Anyway, with regards to baseball card info online, I think it is an excellent resource for the collector. You can type any question into a search engine and get answers quickly and pretty accurately. That helps immensely in the process of buying and selling. However, long-term information pertaining to a card's history must be printed in some format that can be collected by a library or historian.

I enjoy web information tremendously, and count on it to make decisions about purchasing. But since I don't plan on writing a book about cards anytime soon, I rarely print anything from the internet out. I suppose it's up to those who are writing or documenting any one subject to take the time and weed through the internet information, and to document what they consider important new information about cards.

Last edited by Brian-Chidester; 02-16-2010 at 12:42 PM.