NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 03-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default 1962 Color variations

Hello Everyone,

I apologize if this has been discussed before.

I've been following the discussion on the 62 Green Tints with interest. I was wondering if the pink spots on Yastrzemski's uniform are a collectable variation? I did check the cards listed currently on eBay and there is one auction that is selling two variations of this card, one with the pink blotches. Do they carry any premium?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 03-15-2014, 03:27 PM
Al Richter

Default 62 Yaz

Joe--I regularly collect variant cards but do not recall seeing this card offered before as a variation. The differences seem pretty subtle to me and so it would not be worth a big premium to me over what the two Yaz cards would normally sell for on their own. My guess is that if they were auctioned they would not get to the BIN amount. But, you never know for sure.
Old 03-15-2014, 04:36 PM

Default Agree with Al

Joe,
I am a variation nut and I am not aware of the Yaz 62 listed anywhere.
Old 03-15-2014, 05:17 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Links to the Yastrzemski variation

Here is the link to the ebay auction that I was referring to:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1962-TOPPS-B...item3cd1f28817

I also have a card with the pink blotches. Here is a link to the card:

http://s100.photobucket.com/user/nor..._0480.jpg.html

I have never seen one like it before. By my knowledge of the 1962 set is limited.

Thanks for any help.

Joe
Old 03-15-2014, 05:24 PM
Larry More.y

As both Carlton and Al have never seen this card, I have not either. I wonder if there could be some sort of fading (due to sun light?) or staining(upper left corner of the right hand card) even that may be the cause of the differences in tone. The "wood pattern" (as expected) appear to be the same on both copies of the cards mentioned. To me, more of an anomaly than a true (corrected) variation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 62 425.jpg (61.4 KB, 96 views)
Old 03-15-2014, 08:18 PM
Joe Drouillard

Thanks for the replies.

I agree that there doesn't appear to be a dramatic difference in the scans in the lot on eBay. But if you look at the picture of my card (link provided above) you can definitely see as strong pink blotches. They are even more pronounced when you have the card in hand.

It seems odd that the pink blotches were caused by fading when we have two different cards from different collections, both with the color variation.

Also in the advertisement for the cards on eBay the seller refers to them in the heading as Type 1 & Type 2. That is why I assumed that it is a known variation.

However, I am certainly not an expert on this. Anyone else have any insight on this anomaly?

Thanks,

Joe
Old 03-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Al Richter

Default Variations

When hobby catalogs recognize a variation they usually use the actual card number and add an a, b or sometimes c if there is more than one recognized variation. Type 1 or 2 is not a typical reference.

I think for most cards in most sets if you look long enough you will find some printing variant of it. What gives them value is hobby recognition. Intentional changes in a card by the manufacturer are easy to get recognized. Recurring print flaws less so. But the 52 Campos, the 57 Bakep , the 58 Herrer, and most recently the 61 Fairly are all examples of print defects elevated to hobby recognition as variations with a premium. Not sure the variance here is great enough to get recognition, but good luck with it.

I collect them whether are likely to have a future premium or not because I find them, and pursuit of them interesting. But do an eBay search for "Topps variation" and see the many nuances that come up

A more dramatic pink misprint on the Yaz might make a difference

Last edited by ALR-bishop; 03-15-2014 at 09:05 PM.
Old 03-15-2014, 10:19 PM
Joe Drouillard

Default Pink Yaz

Thanks Al. I appreciate the help. Your explanation makes good sense.

I will toss the Yaz into the box where I keep my other oddities. Who knows. Someday the Pink Panther Yastrzemski may have as much value as a Green Spotted Fairly.

Best regards,

Joe
Old 03-16-2014, 06:23 AM
D@rrΣn Hu.ghΣs

Hey Joe.
It all depends on what you consider to be a variation. For many, including me, a true variation is when something was purposefully changed before the subsequent printing. In other words, a distinct and purposeful difference between the two versions of the card (such as white letters, trade options, misspellings, etc.). There are other ones that aren't necessarily a result of that (the 1966 #432 'purple tree' Heffner comes to mind), but as other people here have said, some printing anomalies attain prominence in the collecting world and become de facto variations.

The Yaz you show is such a printing anomaly, the type that occurs all the time in the printing world. And the sharks on ebay try to turn everything into a 'new' variation to get people bidding. I block most of the shysters from my searches, because it just gets so ridiculous as they try to insult everyone's intelligence.

The flip side, of course, is the collector who collects every anomaly they can get their hands on. Whatever floats your boat, I guess.

--elm

https://www.youtube.com/@TheJollyElm

Looking to trade? Here's my bucket:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/152396...57685904801706

“I was such a dangerous hitter I even got intentional walks during batting practice.”
Casey Stengel

Spelling "Yastrzemski" correctly without needing to look it up since the 1980s.

Overpaying yesterday is simply underpaying tomorrow.
Old 03-16-2014, 08:58 AM
Al Richter

Default Variants of Star Cards

Joe
If a star player card has a variant, it obviously could have more market appeal than a common, particularly among player collectors. But here is an example of another recurring variant in a star type player card, discussed in an earlier thread, that as far as I know has no premium attached to it ( although maybe because it is fairly easy to find)

Old 03-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Joe Drouillard

Default Thanks!

Thanks Darren & Al.

I'm amazed by your knowledge and the patience that you show with less experienced collectors on this board. I've been collecting for ten years now and I'm still learning new things about the hobby. I know that I speak for many on the board when I express my appreciation for all of your posts and advice that you share. Thanks also goes to all of the collectors on this board that share their knowledge with others.

Best regards,

Joe