NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 05-13-2005, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Default Do you use the B/S/T?

Posted By: jay behrens

Rhys poseed this question in another thread, so I figured I'd give its own thread so it doesn't get lost.

Rhys wrote:
Since not too many people actually utilize the B/S/T thread anymore, I always feel like am monopolizing it if I list a few things for sale, or wanted. I am interested in hearing from others if they have had much luck concerning Wanted threads, because I hardly ever do. I have bought many things from For Sale threads, but only had minimal luck with the wanted ones. Then again, maybe I'm just asking for the wrong stuff. EOM

I make use of it when I have stuff for sale and buff my want list when it moves off to the second page.

One strong suggestion I would make if you are offering cards for sale on the BST is to list the card on www.nationalspostscards.com. It doesn't cost a thing and I've been able to sell some cards there that never got nibbles on eBay. Plus, the wantlist feature alone is great. When you fill out a want list, every time a card is posted for sale that is on your want list, you get an email telling you about the listing.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Julie

in the old style...

Old 05-13-2005, 12:28 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Josh A.

I still check it out, although if I post a WTB thread, after a few days it is lost to Page 2, and I fear not many people look past Page 1.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: DJ

When the VBC and Leon's site were two separated entities, I used to enjoy the one thread on Leon's page that focused on the B/S/T at the beginning of every month.

There were like 90-100 threads and it seemed like people added to it daily. I often forget about the link on this Forum. I have to get back into the swing of things and check that out. For some reason, I prefered the long thread. That's just me.

Thanks-DJ

Old 05-13-2005, 12:40 PM
Administrator

With this and that all over the place...

Old 05-13-2005, 12:46 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Wesley

I agree with Julie. The current B/S/T is ok, and I certainly use it a lot, but five different categories make it really easy to miss things. I definitely prefer the old style with the single monthly thread.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: T206Collector

I prefer the current arrangement. I check it every day to see if new T-206 cards have come up for sale. I like that I don't have to wade through e-cards or r-cards or n-cards. Just the t-cards. The way I like it. And if there's nothing new, I don't have to waste any time. It's super easy, well organized and highly efficient. One long thread is overbearing, burdensome and a waste of time. I ended up having to hit CTRL+F on the keyboard and then "206" to see if there was anything T206 related. Pain. Keep it the way it is.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:58 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Greg Ecklund

I check the current B/S/T once or twice a week, but I checked the old one much more often and would much rather have it that way than the current setup.

Old 05-13-2005, 12:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: FatBoy

Whenever I saw a new entry in the "old style" B/S/T thread, I'd always look. I could see if it was updated daily as it was always on the first page.

Now...if I think of it (maybe once a week or so).

Old 05-13-2005, 01:07 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Patrick McMenemy

Although I have posted in the new format, I prefer the single thread Buy/Sell/Trade format that we previously utilized.

Not only was it enjoyable to read, but I was also able to purchase items I needed. Just me personal opinion.

Patrick

Old 05-13-2005, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

i also enjoy the old format because it has more of a communal feel to it, and whenever a new post is made it gets bumped instantly. new one is fine also, i check about 5 or 6 times a day hoping for that one card i want.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Lee Behrens

I personally like the new format, it makes things much easier to find the item I am interested in. I check the thread about 3 or 4 times a week. I do not like the the many threads that only mention that the cards are now listed on ebay, (make them available on the baord for a week and then list them, it has worked well for me) because most if not all of us check ebay out regularly. I prefer to list the cards in the nationalsportscards.com site and make note in the B/S/T thread. The site is easy to use and improving all the time.

Lee

Old 05-13-2005, 01:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I use it. In fact, I purchased a couple of cards from there just a few days ago.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 05-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Posted By: quan

you guys must own stock with nationalsportscards.com , or a silent partner at least! i have checked the site out and when i have time will definitely sign up, nothing beats FREE!

Old 05-13-2005, 01:30 PM
Administrator

Leon,

Do our opinions on this matter? Would you consider the change? Scrolling up, it kind of looks like 9-2 in favor of old style so far.

DJ

Old 05-13-2005, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

I've always preferred the old format. Had much more life to it.

Rob M.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:42 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Gilbert Maines

I prefer the current B/S/T configuration. For me it makes everything more accessable. Stuff formerly seemed to get buried quickly - and finding it again was difficult.

Old 05-13-2005, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Matt

I am in favor of going back to the old B/S/T.....

Old 05-13-2005, 02:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: jay behrens

I hadn't intended to turn this into a referendum on the BST thread. I like it in its current format. I think if Brian can figure out how to make the link for the BST thread stand out more, that there would be more action. with the old format, it was always a race to see who get their posts near the top. And I know personally, that once the thread hit about 50 or so, I started losing interest and if I needed to go back and find something, it was very difficult to have to have wade thru all those threads to find it.

Quan, no, I don't own any stock in nationalsportscards.com, but I really like what they have to offer and they are very open to suggestions. Their database grows every day, and if you don't see a set in their database, just let them know and they will add it within a day or two.

If everyone on the board made use of that site by using the want list feature and listing their cards there that they are offing on the BST thread, people that have the cards you are offering for sale will get an email letting them know that you put that card up for sale. It's a win-win proposition for everyone. Especially since it doesn't cost anyone anything.

Jay

I like to sit outside drink beer and yell at people. If I did this at home I would be arrested, so I go to baseball games and fit right in.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:52 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Texas Ted

I much prefer the new B/S/T thread. Although I had not made a transaction yet, I have noticed a lot of people looking for things that I have. I have just not had the time to respond as I am doing some consulting work that drains much of my time. That gig may end soon however as the company just got bought, and I would guess they will dump my contract when they notice me. Then I can spend all of my time on cards.

Texas Ted
Starting my third attempt at a second childhood.

Old 05-13-2005, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Howie

For the title and links on the top that are hard to see, just create a one cell table with a solid background and put the title and link inside the table.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:00 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Anonymous

I prefer the new format.

..and encourage posters to state: For Sale, For Trade or Wanted in the thread title.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:09 PM
Administrator

Posted By: robert a

I like the new format better...especially now that Brian has updated to include the most current post from each category.

IN the old format, I didn't like how the post was locked after the last day of the month and everyone had to start over. Now, I can go back and look at who was selling something that I vaguely remember seeing a while back.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Dan Bretta

I definitely like the new format better. I didn't like having to scroll left to right to read half of the posts because someone posted a huge picture with their list.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: hrbaker

I weight in in favor of the new format.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Glen V

With the old B/S/T format, I checked it everytime there was a new post. Now I only check it about every week or two, only looking at the newest 10-15 posts.

I feel once my post goes off the main page, most people will never see it again. Either I can post my wants in four different sections every 3-4 weeks (similar to what I used to do w/ just one post) or just let my wants dissappear to the 2nd, 3rd, etc pages of the thread. I'm tempted to repost every so often, but if everyone tries to keep their post at the top, the thread will get huge and be even less effective.

Old 05-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Max Weder

I am in favour of the old B/S ....... er, /T

Old 05-13-2005, 04:01 PM
Administrator

14 -------for old
7 --------for new
1 --------not sure

Old 05-13-2005, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: David Vargha

I prefer the new.

DavidVargha@hotmail.com

Old 05-13-2005, 04:19 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ockday

Most definitely prefer the old.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:26 PM
Administrator

Posted By: JimB

Definiately prefer the new. It is much easier to find what I am looking for without wading through 100+ postings.
jimB

Old 05-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Jeremy1999

as a lurker, i like the fresh posts. i can't get enough reading material.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:47 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

but I far preferred the old BST thread because it was there and easy to check.

Old 05-13-2005, 04:59 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Rhett Yeakley

Jay, I was the one that said something about the B/S/T thread (not my brother Rhys) in Bob's thread about D311's, but anyways, I guess you know the style of the B/S/T thread I prefer. But, I really hadn't intended to start anything contrversial or anything.
-Rhett

Old 05-13-2005, 05:15 PM
Administrator

With the old style, we had to think about it each month, if our wants and offers had changed. Surely there's stuff there that doesn't need to be there anymore?

Old 05-13-2005, 05:29 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Brian McQueen

The BST page is something I check 2-3 times a day on average. I consider it an important part of the site and one of the most important resources for "networking" amongst your peers in the hobby, acquiring tough cards, etc....that we host here on the forum.

I've spoken with quite a few of you about this in the past and based one what I've heard, everyone seems to be split right down the middle on whether to have a single thread which restarted the first of every month or a more structured format the way it is now. Personally, I am fine with either. I think having the single thread may be more convenient for some because you can scroll directly to the bottom to see all the new postings. However if you don't check it as often as I do, the catagorized version may be more to your liking as it saves you from having to scan through a bunch of posts that wouldn't interest you anyway.

I believe that the BST page still gets heavy use in its current format. I recently added the "most recent post" column so that people can easily tell if any new posts have been added to the individual BST pages without having to click. However I'm open to whatever the community would like to do. In response to something Jay said earlier, I sort of like the idea of using a single thread with a little "flame" or something next to it that makes it really stand out amongst all the other threads on the main post. I think this would be possible but at the same time, the BST section stands out quite a bit the way it is now.

Another nice thing about the current setup is that people can reply to individual posts without cluttering up the actual forums. Being able to reply to each post also enables you to "bump" your thread every few weeks so that your posts don't get buried too far. One of the big concerns about the current setup is that no one checks Page 2 and beyond, but if someone replies to your post, including yourself, it bumps it all the way back up to the top again.

I think there are positive aspects to both so let's keep discussing it and maybe come to a consensus over the weekend. If enough people are unhappy with the format, it may be time for a re-evaluation.

-Brian

Old 05-13-2005, 06:21 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Donald Johnson

I really prefer the old B/S/T thread format. It seems like the majority of the people who like the new format vs the old are the newer members of the board. It used to be fun seeing the B/S/T thread bumped up to the top of the VBC page whenever someone had something new to post. Now it just seems so mercenary.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:32 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Joe_G.

I much prefer the old format and my interest is primarily one set which should make me appreciate the new format. By starting new posts each month (old method), everyone seemed to give updates on their wants or what they were willing to part with every month. Now, it seems like there is far less traffic. I personally haven't updated my listing since day one. I used to be in on every month's post with no two months looking quite the same. And while not the case for me, many of us collect more than one catagory of cards and therefore now have to scan through three or more groupings of cards instead of opening one thread.

Either way, I'll continue to use the B/S/T entries, but with less frequency and certainly less posts with the new style. I'm no longer excited to see half the board give their wants and list their sale prices the first of each month. Those were the good old days.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Administrator

With the new format, you go to EXACTLY what you're looking for. But suppose I'm looking for a particular 19th century card, in the old format, and I see someone advertising a deadballera card I really want, but just hadn't been thinking about.

An extra sale. An extra buy. Extra things to look at that take you by surprise. It's better.

Maybe I'd been vaguely thinking about selling a card, and then I unexpedctedly see some ad saying they want one.

An extra sale. An extra buy.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Bob Marquette

Count me on the side of the new format. To me it is much more convenient and easier to spot new card listings. How in the world you guys can look only once or twice a week and buy anything is beyond me. I look 2 or 3 times a DAY and still find myself losing out to guys like Brian who seem to be 24/7 on it
By the way I picked up an E96 Myers today so the B/S/T thread is definitely working....

Old 05-13-2005, 11:05 PM
Administrator

Posted By: john/z28jd

new format is much better,i hated near the end of the month to scroll all the way down and see a post for something i had no interest in or even worse,someone typing in an item above was sold.Im only interested in T or 19th century cards so sometimes i click on the link and see nothings been updated since i last visited,so i just go back to the forum.If theres something new in one of those threads chances are it will be something im interested in.The old way there were about 75 posts a month i had no interest in but id have to check because you dont know what it is till you check.

I cant see how people forget the b/s/t link,its not like theres much else to do on the board once you get past the new messages

Old 05-13-2005, 11:18 PM
Administrator

Posted By: pete

i prefer the new one as well...it's much easier to find things. you guys just need to start selling more stuff!

pete in mn

Old 05-15-2005, 07:29 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Mike McGrail

I personally prefer the old style.

Mike

Old 05-15-2005, 08:58 AM
Administrator

Posted By: leonl

I had an email discussion with Brian Mcqueen (my right hand guy and technoid person) and my predecessor (Bill) and after not too much thought we are going to leave it the way it is for now. We might look at the issue again in the future but it's certainly not broken now. I too liked the old way better, hence when I started a short lived PL (Players League)vintage baseball card board for about a month I used the old format. This new format is a little easier to look at and is more organized. If anyone is concerned about their BST moving down the page just give it a friendly bump. Another plus to the new format is folks can post pics of their cards for sale while with the old way it was not permissable due to size. More folks should take advantage of that. Members with hot cards have no shortage of buyers on our BST, I can assure you. Members looking for hot cards face the same shortage as the rest of us. Quite honestly I am almost neutral on this subject.....for now it stays the way it is....regards

Old 05-15-2005, 09:49 AM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

My vote is old way because I forget to check it now. Though the current way is easier to go through, I just never remember to look. Maybe I need to be fixed.....