NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 07-24-2015, 09:38 AM

Default 2001 Albert Pujols bowman chrome

Hey guys,

Quick question what is the current thoughts on the 2001 Albert Pujols bowman chrome? So I've mainly been focusing in on buying more vintage cards than anything else but this is one of the modern cards that has always had interest in.

I'm just curious how you think the value of this card will go (up or down) as he is winding down his career and where he maybe end up on the all time HR list.

Just curious b/c it's still an expensive card and wanted some thoughts before dropping the money on one.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Steven Finley

Personally I feel it's a relatively safe card. Prices held relatively strong as he struggled last year and I assume (as I don't particularly follow the card) that it has risen a bit with his strong 2015. Chrome is king, there is a 0% chance of pulling this card from a pack, and he'll likely retire top 5 in homers and rbi's so it has that going for it. The future of HoF chrome auto RC's is a great unknown of the hobby and Albert will likely to be the first litmus.
Old 08-11-2015, 08:15 PM

My understanding is that the early 2001 bowman chrome boxes have the card as a redemption, but the boxes issued later in the year have the card in packs. Can anyone confirm if this is the case?
Old 08-12-2015, 11:35 AM

I think it will go down as a premier card of the time. Like the 89 UD Griffey is for the era before him. For a base card the UD Griffey still sells for a high premium compared to all other cards of its time.
Old 08-14-2015, 11:55 AM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

I think it should hold its value. The only thing that would give me hesitation is the possibility of a PED scandal with his name attached to it at some point in the future. Guess that comes with the territory of any player playing today though. I know Jack Clark accused Pujols of using but I've never seen any evidence of it and am not saying I think he used, I have no idea. There's so many players from this era that we just will never know for sure on. I would think the Pujols RC's should be safe as long as no evidence ever came out against him. Just my opinion. Obviously Mcgwire, Bonds, and ARod cards got hammered when evidence came out.
Old 10-02-2015, 04:26 PM
Larry

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanksfan09 View Post
I think it should hold its value. The only thing that would give me hesitation is the possibility of a PED scandal with his name attached to it at some point in the future. Guess that comes with the territory of any player playing today though. I know Jack Clark accused Pujols of using but I've never seen any evidence of it and am not saying I think he used, I have no idea. There's so many players from this era that we just will never know for sure on. I would think the Pujols RC's should be safe as long as no evidence ever came out against him. Just my opinion. Obviously Mcgwire, Bonds, and ARod cards got hammered when evidence came out.
Jack Clark's accusation was allegedly based upon what Pujols' trainer told him--why would the trainer or Clark lie in this respect? Clark only backed down when Pujols threatened a law suit, which surely would have been ill-advised from Albert's standpoint, since the trainer could be compelled to testify, and if he took the 5th, granted immunity (I hardly think that he would be willing to go to jail a la Bonds' guy). Also, Pujols is a public figure, which from a legal standpoint means a showing of malice on Clark's part would have to have been made. Pujols was bluffing, and Clark should have called him on it. Plus, I've seen Albert in a tight-fitting T-shirt, and he's as big as Canseco ever was.

Just my 2 cents,

Larry A. Smith

Last edited by ls7plus; 10-02-2015 at 04:27 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 06:25 PM
J Ryan
Banned

Quote:
being a cardinals fan, I always suspected pujols of PED's. He was built a lot like the guys who were caught, and the numbers were just really high.

but who knows
Old 10-03-2015, 11:14 AM
Al Richter

Default Pujols

I have no idea if Pujols used or uses PEDs, but I would not have gone public with allegations that he did based on what someone else told me, especially if that person had not gone public with the allegation. Clark may have been advised not to call Pujol's bluff without some available corroboration
Old 10-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Ryan

Every time I see one for sale, it's expensive! From what I understand it pretty much started the whole "Bowman Chrome Rookie Auto" craze that is still around today... The player's 1st Bowman Chrome autograph is their most prized card for collectors. I'm also pretty sure there were only /499 available...

I also think Pujols did steroids IMHO but he appears to have slipped by unscathed with little to no effect on his card values!
Old 10-07-2015, 11:41 AM

There are only 350 or so in circulation. Not all of them were redeemed.

It's an iconic card. A lot of them have been altered, either by trimming (it was notoriously off-centered) or by wiping the auto clean and resigning it. There are also six 5/500 autos out there. Who knows which one is actually real.

If you ever decide to buy, do some research first. Look up "2001 Pujols autograph" on ebay. See how nearly all of them signed in '01 are slanted heavily to the right? Fakes are very loopy. Most were signed years later around 2005, either by Pujols or Kevin Burge.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...e-Rc-MUST-READ
Old 10-08-2015, 04:26 PM
Larry

"Only" is a very relative term, I suppose. Either 350 or 499 would not even be considered scarce in the context of prewar. From the standpoint of all-time icons, it is grossly overpriced. Examples: 1939 V351 Worldwide Gum Ted Williams rookie, with a total of just 3 graded by both PSA and SGC--recent sale of one example in SGC Ex (to me) at $4,050; 1907 Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb rookie--with I believe a total of 8 graded by both PSA and SGC (its been some months since I last checked)--recent sale of one in PSA Ex, according to one dealer with a lesser-graded example at the National for $8,000. IMHO, this card is either likely to be static or fall in value in the long run, while examples similar to and including the above are likely to appreciate at a significant to substantial rate.

Just my two cents worth, and happy collecting,

Larry
Old 10-08-2015, 06:12 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by ls7plus View Post
"Only" is a very relative term, I suppose. Either 350 or 499 would not even be considered scarce in the context of prewar. From the standpoint of all-time icons, it is grossly overpriced. Examples: 1939 V351 Worldwide Gum Ted Williams rookie, with a total of just 3 graded by both PSA and SGC--recent sale of one example in SGC Ex (to me) at $4,050; 1907 Dietsche Fielding Pose Cobb rookie--with I believe a total of 8 graded by both PSA and SGC (its been some months since I last checked)--recent sale of one in PSA Ex, according to one dealer with a lesser-graded example at the National for $8,000. IMHO, this card is either likely to be static or fall in value in the long run, while examples similar to and including the above are likely to appreciate at a significant to substantial rate.

Just my two cents worth, and happy collecting,

Larry
Sound logic there Larry! However your assumption presumes collectors will act logically

Sometimes, things are too rare for their own good. I agree with your sentiment and value the true rarities a great deal myself!

Last edited by yanksfan09; 10-08-2015 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 06:14 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coninefan View Post
There are only 350 or so in circulation. Not all of them were redeemed.

It's an iconic card. A lot of them have been altered, either by trimming (it was notoriously off-centered) or by wiping the auto clean and resigning it. There are also six 5/500 autos out there. Who knows which one is actually real.

If you ever decide to buy, do some research first. Look up "2001 Pujols autograph" on ebay. See how nearly all of them signed in '01 are slanted heavily to the right? Fakes are very loopy. Most were signed years later around 2005, either by Pujols or Kevin Burge.

http://www.freedomcardboard.com/foru...e-Rc-MUST-READ
Hadn't heard about all these rumors. I don't see myself ever pursuing the card, but it sounds like people really need to do their homework on it if considering one...
Old 10-09-2015, 02:32 PM
Larry

Quote:
Sound logic there Larry! However your assumption presumes collectors will act logically

Sometimes, things are too rare for their own good. I agree with your sentiment and value the true rarities a great deal myself!
You have a point, Erick, but it's more long-term economics than anything else. Value will always be proportional to demand over supply, and objectively, there's little to suggest Albert will retain the kind of demand it takes to get a card available in that quantity to maintain that price. Certainly he's no Cobb or Williams in that respect, in the long run.

May collecting bring you mostly joy, with a minimum of sorrow or frustration,

Larry
Old 10-09-2015, 03:24 PM
_Er!ck*L.ew1n_

Thanks, I agree Larry, that over a long enough time line logic should win out and the true rarities should appreciate more.

It just really baffles me and I shake my head when I see some of the new trends on what goes for big $. Such as 1986 Johnny Moore Fleer PSA 10's... ( think it was over 10 or 12k?)

The prices for certain grade 9's and 10's and prices on modern RC's that have artificial rarity just astonishes me. I feel that the prices a lot of these command is likely not sustainable, nor should it be.

Last edited by yanksfan09; 10-09-2015 at 03:31 PM.