NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-24-2013, 08:58 PM

Default Cobb Grading Question

I have a Cobb T206 that I want to get graded. I am going to sell the card (I have another ungraded one that I am going to keep). Is there any advantage to using PSA over BVG in this situation? I have never got a T206 graded, so I am not sure which way to go.

Also, any ideas on the grade it might get? I know the scans aren't great. The upper right corner is a little round, and the back is a bit off centered. Other than that it is a really clean card.

Thanks

Last edited by deken; 11-15-2021 at 10:27 PM.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:19 PM
Brendan Mullen

Great looking card! Although the scans are somewhat small, I'm going to go out on a limb and say that it looks trimmed on the bottom. I hope I'm wrong though.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:23 PM

Gorgeous card! T206 in a PSA holder will get a much higher price than BVG! That is a strong mid-grade (ex-ish ) card and there are a lot of PSA registry collectors who would jump on it.
JimB
P.S. If the asking price is still $5, I'll take it. I'll even pay $100 for shipping.
Old 01-24-2013, 09:30 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I belong to PSA so that is the route I will go. If it comes back trimmed I may take you up on your offer  I will let you know how it grades, I am going to drop it off in person at the Long Beach show on Feb 7. A 5 would be nice!
Old 01-25-2013, 07:22 AM
€r!©k §µmmær$

I don't know about PSA, but SGC would subtract heavily for the apparent paper loss on the back to the left of the "C" in Cigarettes
Old 01-25-2013, 07:42 AM
Rob G.

Default PSA vs BVG

IMO, if the card gets a low grade (or Authentic), I think it would sell for a similar price whether PSA or BVG. The higher the grade, the more it'll likely sell for in a PSA holder as PSA's registry attracts higher grade collectors.

On a side note, if you wanted the protection of a holder, I'd go with BVG. The inner plastic sleeve does a MUCH better job of protecting the card from movement and the outer shell is thicker. Of course asthetically the thicker case is considered less appealing so ... to each his own.

Good luck, its a beautiful card!
Rob
Old 01-25-2013, 07:51 AM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger8mush View Post
IMO, if the card gets a low grade (or Authentic), I think it would sell for a similar price whether PSA or BVG. The higher the grade, the more it'll likely sell for in a PSA holder as PSA's registry attracts higher grade collectors.

On a side note, if you wanted the protection of a holder, I'd go with BVG. The inner plastic sleeve does a MUCH better job of protecting the card from movement and the outer shell is thicker. Of course asthetically the thicker case is considered less appealing so ... to each his own.

Good luck, its a beautiful card!
Rob
+1. If I had to choose, registry aside, to buy a high grade card and it were to be in a PSA holder or BVG holder, I would pick BVG all day long and twice on Sunday. I am biased but, that or not, I think they have better quality control. I don't dislike PSA, I just think BVG does a better job..where pre-war vintage is concerned. This card is not going to be high enough grade for the registry to come into play either. Just my 2 cents....
Old 01-25-2013, 08:52 AM

I have looked closely at the spot on the back by the "c" in cigarettes. It doesn't appear to be paper loss but more of just a break in the red line. Is there a way to tell for sure?

Thanks
Old 01-25-2013, 11:52 AM
J@son M1ller

Quote:
Originally Posted by deken View Post
I have looked closely at the spot on the back by the "c" in cigarettes. It doesn't appear to be paper loss but more of just a break in the red line. Is there a way to tell for sure?

Thanks
If you have a loop, you can usually see with 10X power if the surface is the same as surrounding surface or has a little divot from paper loss. Naked eye is sometimes difficult to tell. Even a magnifying glass could probably give you what you need.
Old 01-25-2013, 12:32 PM
Mike Williams

Default Not an answer to your question...but

No disrespect whatsoever, but are you 100% sure the card is real? Something about the front scan looks funky to me. Just my gut feeling...and yes, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night

Mike
Old 01-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Pete Sycks

CSA would grade it a 9 Nice card. I'd go with SGC though (not an option, but I think the best option)
Old 01-25-2013, 02:43 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwilliams View Post
No disrespect whatsoever, but are you 100% sure the card is real? Something about the front scan looks funky to me. Just my gut feeling...and yes, I slept at a Holiday Inn last night

Mike
i see what mike is talking about, the color is kinda washed out but i think that's just the scan. the back you can loupe to see if it's paper loss or print break. should be fairly easy to tell on a mark that big. otherwise it's a strong card and i don't think it's trimmed at all.

i will be at the long beach show, if you need a self-appointed prewar expert (me) to look it over i will gladly do so before you submit it.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:47 PM

Thanks again for all of the feedback, and I don't take any comments personally, I appreciate the feedback. I am pretty sure the card is real (I have other T206's and this looks no different), but we will see.
I will be at the LB show Thursday afternoon, so would like your input (chad) if you are going to be there.
Old 01-25-2013, 02:51 PM
qu@n nguy3n

Quote:
Originally Posted by deken View Post
Thanks again for all of the feedback, and I don't take any comments personally, I appreciate the feedback. I am pretty sure the card is real (I have other T206's and this looks no different), but we will see.
I will be at the LB show Thursday afternoon, so would like your input (chad) if you are going to be there.
sorry will be there saturday for the magic johnson signing

and yes psa will net you a higher price than bvg since you're selling. $35/5 day express service. sgc is fine also, they currently have a $30 special next day. if you're unsure if the mark is paper loss stick with psa, they're more lenient on back paper loss.
Old 01-26-2013, 04:17 PM
Ron Rice

Default Cobb

I'd go with PSA. As long as it's not trimmed, it could get a PSA 4. The card would sell for over $1000. Nice card.