NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #21  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:43 PM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is online now
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 4,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Understood, but in your argument it doesnt matter if the dodgers won their last 15 games of the year or lost the last 15 if we are just going on what we believe certain pitchers do in the postseason and talking about unknown surprises Last year though Kershaw was very good in the postseason by the way if not great.

Thus, basically it doesnt matter then if a first place teams ends up losing their last 50 games..if their best player are great in the post season and the many many unknown surprises of players who could suck in the regular season be great in the postseason

If kershaw and Darvish win 6 games in the post season etc, that would further show who cares how the #3 to #5 pitchers did for them in many losses..we shall see..

However my point was that if you think regular season record matters during the last 30 games or whatever i would be more concerned how the #1 and #2 pitchers did not the rest of them. In post season #1 pitchers pitch more often as well

.

The reason to play the games is the uncertainty of the outcomes. The 1954 Cleveland Indians won 111 games with four starters who won 80.

No, the regular season is not predictive of post season results. It determines who plays, but not the results.

Ask the 1954 New York Giants who swept the Tribe with the help of their unexpected hero, Dusty Rhodes.
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - ALMOST OLD ENOUGH TO BE ON A PREWAR CARD.

519/1000 Monster Number --- WHAT'S YOUR MONSTER NUMBER?

Over*650* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-17.
Over 250 satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.


Are you a T206 Insider?

Only 37.10% crazy based on recent polling data, but still a weird dude.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 09-25-2017, 09:46 PM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1
Posts: 3,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
The reason to play the games is the uncertainty of the outcomes. The 1954 Cleveland Indians won 111 games with four starters who won 80.

No, the regular season is not predictive of post season results. It determines who plays, but not the results.

Ask the 1954 New York Giants who swept the Tribe with the help of their unexpected hero, Dusty Rhodes.
Of course, but people do bet on games based on prior performances.. Theres a reason there is a betting line. Nothing is certain but there are always situations where the odds are greater.

to me i wouldnt care how a teams #4 and #5 starter did the last 30 games going into the postseason...i would care more on the #1 and #2 starter did. yes there are other pitchers that may come up huge but i am just going by the odds... Back to the thread top ...there would no 'deal' to me for those losses. I wouldnt be asking whats the deal with the dodgers

If Ross Stripling starts this week and takes a loss, does that loss really matter. Would i be saying 'whats wrong with the dodgers?" Nothing would be wrong to me if all they lost were games started by back end guys....

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 09-25-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 09-25-2017, 10:58 PM
Peter_Spaeth's Avatar
Peter_Spaeth Peter_Spaeth is offline
Peter Spaeth
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 11,290
Default

As I did last year (I was close!!), I fear the Indians of Cleveland.
__________________
Buy high, sell low.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 09-26-2017, 02:01 AM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1
Posts: 3,942
Default

Yu Darvish did fine tonight. I would care more about that that Ross Stripling or whoever losing a game later on.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 09-26-2017, 02:48 AM
bravos4evr's Avatar
bravos4evr bravos4evr is offline
Nick Barnes
Member
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: South Mississippi
Posts: 713
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1952boyntoncollector View Post
Yu Darvish did fine tonight. I would care more about that that Ross Stripling or whoever losing a game later on.
but you also need to look at the offense and defense and base running during the losing streak too. Pitchers can do great and still get losses because of things out of their control.(which is why pitcher record is such a bad gauge of quality)
__________________
"The large print giveth and the small print taketh away."- Tom Waits
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 09-26-2017, 03:12 AM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1
Posts: 3,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
but you also need to look at the offense and defense and base running during the losing streak too. Pitchers can do great and still get losses because of things out of their control.(which is why pitcher record is such a bad gauge of quality)
Right you never know. But Starting pitching is the most important factor
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 09-26-2017, 08:31 AM
KMayUSA6060 KMayUSA6060 is online now
Kyle May
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Northeast Ohio
Posts: 908
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As I did last year (I was close!!), I fear the Indians of Cleveland.
Smart man.
__________________
Faith. Family. Country. Baseball. Baseball Cards.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 09-26-2017, 09:16 AM
frankbmd's Avatar
frankbmd frankbmd is online now
Fr@nk Burke++
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Between the 1st tee and the 19th hole
Posts: 4,196
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
As I did last year (I was close!!), I fear the Indians of Cleveland.
And I drink with the Brewers of Milwaukee!
__________________
FRANK:BUR:KETT - ALMOST OLD ENOUGH TO BE ON A PREWAR CARD.

519/1000 Monster Number --- WHAT'S YOUR MONSTER NUMBER?

Over*650* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-17.
Over 250 satisfied Board members served.
Thank you all.


Are you a T206 Insider?

Only 37.10% crazy based on recent polling data, but still a weird dude.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 09-28-2017, 03:35 PM
ls7plus ls7plus is offline
Larry
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Southfield, Michigan
Posts: 1,488
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
The reason to play the games is the uncertainty of the outcomes. The 1954 Cleveland Indians won 111 games with four starters who won 80.

No, the regular season is not predictive of post season results. It determines who plays, but not the results.

Ask the 1954 New York Giants who swept the Tribe with the help of their unexpected hero, Dusty Rhodes.
Not to mention the man above men who made "The Catch" with his back turned, 450+ feet away from the plate off Vic Wertz, the incomparable Willie Mays!

Best wishes,

Larry
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-12-2017, 12:26 AM
1952boyntoncollector 1952boyntoncollector is offline
ja.ke liebe.rman
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: http://www.psacard.com/PSASetRegistry/alltimeset.aspx?s=175000&ac=1
Posts: 3,942
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bravos4evr View Post
but you also need to look at the offense and defense and base running during the losing streak too. Pitchers can do great and still get losses because of things out of their control.(which is why pitcher record is such a bad gauge of quality)
Hmm..dont think there has been any deal with the Dodgers thus far........they dont have to worry about #4 and #5 starters losing games like they did the in the regular season...

Last edited by 1952boyntoncollector; 10-12-2017 at 12:27 AM.
Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Real or Fake? Deal or No Deal? KMayUSA6060 Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 16 10-02-2016 11:13 AM
Good deal, Bad deal or just right? hunterdutchess Hockey / Basketball / Tennis Cards Forum 3 06-04-2011 07:30 PM
T205 deal or no deal Archive Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions 5 02-28-2008 05:56 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:23 AM.


ebay GSB