NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you give an opinion of a person or company your full name needs to be in your post. Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Closed Thread

Old 09-29-2017, 11:45 AM
D@v!d J@m3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by packs View Post
I think employees should enjoy the same rights at work as they do outside of it.
LOL, seriously? It's 10:45 here in Houston. I get off work at noon on Fridays. It's my right to go have a beer after work if I choose. You really think I should be afforded that same right while at work?
Old 09-29-2017, 11:51 AM

Quote:
The second the NFL starts fining players is the same second they all sit out. It would ruin the NFL.

I think employees should enjoy the same rights at work as they do outside of it. I don't feel as though I should have to surrender any freedoms because I need to feed myself. There are always going to be lines you can't cross in a professional setting, but I don't think that line is sitting down.
Bolded the part that addresses that.
Old 09-29-2017, 11:58 AM
D@v!d J@m3s

Quote:
There are always going to be lines you can't cross in a professional setting, but I don't think that line is sitting down.
Then, let's go back to my example with Todd. He's an attorney. When the bailiff comes in the courtroom and says, "All rise," do you think it's Todd's right to stay seated in protest?
Old 09-29-2017, 12:06 PM

I don't really see the connection to the discussion. The court has its own procedures in place and as far as I know there is no direct law that requires you to rise, although the judge has authority to hold you in contempt for not following their directives. None of that really has anything to do with the NFL, the protests, the spirit behind the protests, anti-military sentiment, or enjoying personal freedoms at work. A judge would hold you in contempt for disrupting court proceedings, not for exercising a freedom.

Teachers and union employees go on strike all the time. They aren't fired for it because it's their right to strike. A strike is a form of protest.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:25 PM
D@v!d J@m3s

Quote:
I don't really see the connection to the discussion. The court has its own procedures in place and as far as I know there is no direct law that requires you to rise, although the judge has authority to hold you in contempt for not following their directives. None of that really has anything to do with the NFL, the protests, the spirit behind the protests, anti-military sentiment, or enjoying personal freedoms at work. A judge would hold you in contempt for disrupting court proceedings, not for exercising a freedom.

Teachers and union employees go on strike all the time. They aren't fired for it because it's their right to strike. A strike is a form of protest.
You don't see the connection because you don't want to see the connection. There is no connection to employees who strike either. But, since you mentioned it, do striking employees get paid (and I mean by their employer)? Nope. So, my argument about their right to protest at work still holds true. They shouldn't do it while on the clock.

We need to make a few more examples like Kaepernick because obviously some NFL players are too stupid to get it.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:31 PM

I don't know what makes somebody stupid because they're tired of institutionalized racism. And I don't know what makes someone stupid for taking a stand against an injustice they feel they have the power to change. That is as American as it gets.

Last edited by packs; 09-29-2017 at 12:32 PM.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:35 PM
D@v!d J@m3s

Quote:
I don't know what makes somebody stupid because they're tired of institutionalized racism. And I don't know what makes someone stupid for taking a stand against an injustice they feel they have the power to change. That is as American as it gets.
They're stupid because they choose to do it while at work. That's what makes them stupid. Let them do it on their own free time, not at work.
Old 09-29-2017, 12:46 PM

The NFL can stop paying them any time it likes. It knows the consequences of that decision. These players hold immense power in their profession and I am of the opinion that it's great to see how they choose to wield that power.
Old 09-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Dan
Dan Hi.cks

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagetoppsguy View Post
They're stupid because they choose to do it while at work. That's what makes them stupid. Let them do it on their own free time, not at work.
I think you label them as "stupid" because you don't like it and would prefer not to see it. For you I offer the LPGA as an alternative on Sundays.
B/S/T deals completed with Kzoo, VintageGamerN00b, RayBShotz, Batter67up, brian29575, ChuckLaw08, itjclarke, 3-2-count, GradyM333, 39special, sox1903wschamp, Republicaninmass, BKasarda, vcuono, mlfink83, vintagewhitesox, bobbvc, bobbyw8469, 71buc, MattyFan, pencil1974(3), Webster, CMIZ5290, glchen, sycks22, Epps, GehrigFan, 1952boyntoncollector, wilkiebaby11, chiprop, ezez420, aloondilana, BosseFieldBoy, AddieJoss, Baseball*Collectibles
Old 09-29-2017, 01:13 PM
D@v!d J@m3s

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gobucsmagic74 View Post
I think you label them as "stupid" because you don't like it and would prefer not to see it. For you I offer the LPGA as an alternative on Sundays.
No, once again, they're stupid because they tried (and did) make an example of Kaepernick, but the players didn't learn anything from that. I hope it happens with more players. Hey, I'm fine with a bunch of scrubs suiting up and playing on Sunday.
Closed Thread