NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 02-21-2016, 01:56 PM
Mike P.ap

Default 1961 Fleer Basketball Signed cards.....

Down to the final 11..........

Looking for autographed slabbed versions either PSA/DNA, SGC, or BVG.

Will also buy "raw" but will expect a guarantee that they will pass authentication.

Here are the 11:

2 Paul Arizin
7 Carl Braun
11 Walter Dukes
24 Phil Jordan
27 George Lee
32 Willie Naulls
37 Guy Rodgers
47 Wilt Chamberlain I.A.
50 Walter Dukes I.A.
57 Rudy LaRusso I.A.
58 Clyde Lovelette I.A.

Generous finders fees will also be paid for successful transactions.

Thanks!

Mike

PS: Here is a pic of my favorite card from my set!

DSCN0207.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 05-15-2016 at 12:04 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 03:18 PM
Mike Navarro

I remember that one.
Old 02-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Mike P.ap

Default ?

Mike,

You owned this card at one time?

Mike

PS I just answered my own question. Looks like from Collectors Universe Board, you did own this card (in it's old Blue Flip label). Not sure if you sold it to the guy I got it from but I think there was an owner in between you and him. The person I got it from lives in Utah. I sent it to PSA and had it re-holdered in the Red Flip so that I could enter it into my Registry set.

Last edited by vthobby; 02-21-2016 at 04:36 PM.
Old 02-21-2016, 07:07 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Man, you flew through those In Action cards. Keep up the good work, Mike. You'll get 'em!
Old 02-24-2016, 07:14 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks

Jerry,

I was pretty lucky and got some of those high numbers through the mail. All were then slabbed as good. I also got EXTREMELY lucky as 4 high numbers got listed on Ebay (2 were the only known copies!) and I was able to work out a side deal instead of having to bid!

Take care!

Mike
Old 05-15-2016, 12:01 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Update.....

I bought a RAW Sihugo Green 1961 Fleer signed card from Ebay 2 months ago and the guy told me he got it in person back in the 1970s. I paid ALOT for the card and was going to pursue a refund if PSA rejected it. I submitted in person at the April Shriners show..........grade and authentication just hit the PSA web site!

I now own the ONLY known authentic PSA/DNA slabbed Si Green Rookie. He died in 1980. His auto is incredibly rare in any form. It was graded a PSA 4.

Mike

PS 11 to go!!!!

PS2: I am SO PUMPED! As noted above my grades just hit on PSA/DNA web site and one of the Big O Rookies from 1961 that I had signed at the show came back card graded MINT 9 (MC) and before this card was graded, the highest EVER was a PSA 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought this card RAW from Ebay for this show (eBay item number:311572495927) for less than $300 so I have less than $500 into a MINT 9 signed Oscar Robertson Rookie that I got in person and he added "Big O" below his sig!!! I already had Oscar in my set but this is a HUGE upgrade!

Last edited by vthobby; 05-15-2016 at 12:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2016, 06:35 PM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I bought a RAW Sihugo Green 1961 Fleer signed card from Ebay 2 months ago and the guy told me he got it in person back in the 1970s. I paid ALOT for the card and was going to pursue a refund if PSA rejected it. I submitted in person at the April Shriners show..........grade and authentication just hit the PSA web site!

I now own the ONLY known authentic PSA/DNA slabbed Si Green Rookie. He died in 1980. His auto is incredibly rare in any form. It was graded a PSA 4.

Mike

PS 11 to go!!!!

PS2: I am SO PUMPED! As noted above my grades just hit on PSA/DNA web site and one of the Big O Rookies from 1961 that I had signed at the show came back card graded MINT 9 (MC) and before this card was graded, the highest EVER was a PSA 7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I bought this card RAW from Ebay for this show (eBay item number:311572495927) for less than $300 so I have less than $500 into a MINT 9 signed Oscar Robertson Rookie that I got in person and he added "Big O" below his sig!!! I already had Oscar in my set but this is a HUGE upgrade!
Way to go, Mike! Let's see that Si Green and Big O, man! I collected this set for a long time and never saw a single Sihugo.
Old 05-16-2016, 09:04 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Jerry,

Will do as soon as I get them. Pretty bummed as the grades hit on PSA web site this weekend and as of today, still not showing as shipped! Ugh!

Thanks! Mike
Old 05-16-2016, 10:31 PM
qu@n nguy3n

good gambles! the big o rookie has kind of taken off the last couple years too...$500 is comparable to a vg3 signed. not sure which is better, psa 7 or psa9mc.
Old 05-18-2016, 09:56 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks Chad

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaddurbin View Post
good gambles! the big o rookie has kind of taken off the last couple years too...$500 is comparable to a vg3 signed. not sure which is better, psa 7 or psa9mc.
I knew you of all people would appreciate these as well. Previously the highest pop report grade is a 7, I am totally ok with the 9 as it is MINT and of course MC but still they will list it in their pop report under 9 qualifier which looks pretty cool all alone there at the top!!

It is a 7 in their GPA as you know. Funny thing is, I asked for no qualifiers and called them as it most likely should have been a straight 7 BUT they said that they almost always put the MC on the card even if you ask for no qualifiers. Not sure why but no big deal.

If I'm working on a straight graded set on the Registry without autographs then I want all of my grades clean with no qualifiers but with the signed cards, I'm cool with qualifiers since the real beauty on the card of course is the auto. I now have 2 MINT 9s (MC) from that set signed and they are both unique and both HOF Rookies. Oscar and Jerry West!!!

Peace, Chad

Mike

Last edited by vthobby; 05-18-2016 at 09:57 AM.
Old 05-21-2016, 03:29 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Photos finally!!

Only known Si Green and highest Oscar Auto RC EVER!
Here they are! Take note of the PSA 4 hi # Oscar RC all the way on the bottom.

TOUGH 4!!!! MINT corners, centering ok........BUT gum stains on back that I could not remove! UGH! Nicest 4 you will ever see!

Jerry.....if the PSA 4 Oscar low # RC looks familiar it is because it is the exact unsigned card you sold me in that set last September! Thanks again!

Enjoy!

Peace, Mike

DSCN1011.jpg

DSCN1014.jpg

DSCN1015.jpg

DSCN1016.jpg

Last edited by vthobby; 05-21-2016 at 03:30 PM.
Old 07-05-2018, 03:48 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Wow!

PSA just awarded this exact set of mine with their top 2018 Autograph Award!!

(The Impossible Dream) - 1961-62 Fleer Basketball - Best PSA/DNA Autograph Set of the Year
Autographed trading card sets are an entity all their own. To assemble such a grouping, one must be part collector and part historian. These hobbyists learn about each individual shown on a card, how long they played, when they retired, what they did after leaving the game and, in some cases, when they left the earth. Collectors tie their collection permanently to the athletes, knowing that each card was actually handled by the subject at some point along the journey. This is not only one of the greatest vintage basketball sets in the hobby, but it is also 95% autographed. A rarity indeed.

PS: Luckily they will consider "partial sets" as long as they are at 95% or higher completion. I am now down to needing only 3 cards:
#7 Carl Braun paying $750
#24 Phil Jordan paying $2500
#37 Guy Rodgers paying $750

Old 07-05-2018, 09:26 AM
D3nn!s B@!!ou

Congrats on an amazing set.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:09 AM
Mike P.ap

Default Thanks!

Thank you Dennis!

Peace, Mike
Old 07-08-2018, 07:30 AM
Jerry.Gal.le.ano

Fantastic, Mike!!!
Old 07-25-2018, 11:24 AM
C@rl Greenfeld

Awesome set. Congrats on your progress. i finished a signed 1969-70 topps basketball set about a year ago and I know how tough that was so I can only imagine with the 61 fleer set. At one point I wanted to submit it to the psa set registry (every one is psa slabbed) but I guess I just had too many older slabs and I don't have the patience or the know-how to re-slab.

PS: Are you the one who ended up getting that Phil Jordan on ebay?

Last edited by pooh528; 07-25-2018 at 03:01 PM.
Old 09-14-2018, 10:03 PM
Mike P.ap

Default Quick update on Signed Set.....

So.......just need a Signed (on card) Carl Braun to complete my #1 Registry Signed 1961 Fleer set and got antsy.............emailed PSA/DNA to see if i could even do this.........they said I could..........so...........bought a Carl Braun cut on Ebay. Bought a 1961 Fleer Braun on Ebay. Got some double sided tape at Michael's. VOILA!!!!!!! I cut the Braun auto down a bit to fit on the card and sent it to PSA/DNA. They authenticated the "Cut" only. The card is real but I just needed the Auto authenticated for this purpose.

I now have an "outside the box" 100% complete 1961 Fleer Signed Basketball set with EVERY card slabbed in a PSA/DNA Red Flip except this one!

Trust, me, when I find a Braun signed on card, my wallet will take a hit. Just sayin'. This is a cool filler for the time being!

Peace, Mike

IMG_0593.jpg
Old 09-16-2018, 07:14 AM

Nice set! As an outsider looking in, why is Braun rare? Since he lived until 2010, it seems like there would've been opportunities for shows/TTM. Wikipedia only goes so far.
Old 09-16-2018, 11:58 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

Quote:
Originally Posted by judsonhamlin View Post
Nice set! As an outsider looking in, why is Braun rare? Since he lived until 2010, it seems like there would've been opportunities for shows/TTM. Wikipedia only goes so far.
Not much info, and I read multiple articles and sites about his death. All were pretty much canned info about his playing career, but two others mentioned he died of natural causes and that he died in a hospital where he was living...so, possibly he was sick for awhile or maybe Alzheimer's, but that's just a guess.
Old 09-16-2018, 04:21 PM
Joe D
Joe Do.oley

Did not sign TTM and did not do shows. The most difficult card to find signed in that set. Refused to sign for money. Others need that card for the set so if one surfaces it will be interesting.