NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-12-2016, 07:35 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Default I need some opinions - Should I resubmit to PSA & hope for a better grade?

PSA graded this card as an 8 (OC).

I've seen a lot of cards graded by PSA that were much more off-centered than this one, but not graded as "(OC)".

I'm looking for some opinions. What do you think my chances are of receiving this card back without the "(OC)" designation if I resubmit it for grading?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1958 Topps Clemente PSA 8 (OC).jpg (78.5 KB, 203 views)

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore
Old 04-12-2016, 08:19 PM

Default top and bottom

It looks like a 7 or even 6 on a bad day because of top-bottom centering.
Old 04-12-2016, 08:23 PM
And*y Quig!ey

My understanding is that you can resubmit and choose "No Qualifiers." However, the straight grade will certainly be lower. PSA's brochure (the link and an excerpt are below) happens to use your example -- an 8 (OC) being graded as a straight 6.

Basically, I think when a card has all the attributes of a specific grade except for centering then it will be given that grade and an OC qualifier unless you choose "No Qualifiers" ... in which case it will get a lower straight grade.

No Qualifiers:
Cards having significant flaws will receive “qualified” grades (see definitions online at PSAcard.com.) If you select this box and your card is deterimined to have a qualifier, your card will be graded with a lower straight grade.
For example, what would be graded an ‘8 OC’ might be graded a straight ‘6.’
*Please note: Some qualifiers may not be removed.

http://www.psacard.com/Content/pdf/P...-To-Submit.pdf

Last edited by ajquigs; 04-13-2016 at 11:01 AM.
Old 04-12-2016, 10:35 PM
je.sse @rnot

I would leave it as is. The centering is pretty bad top to bottom. I don't see that getting into a straight 8 holder if that's what you're hoping for.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:57 AM
Glyn Parson

Default It is correctly graded

No straight 8 that is correctly graded has centering that bad top to bottom. A straight 6 yes but not an 8. I don't think it is even close to centered well enough for a 7.
Old 04-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Bill Gregory

"Be my friend.....Cardfather....?"

I would not resubmit, honestly. PSA's grading standards have kicked it up a notch on the toughness scale. I don't see any way you improve upon the score you have. You'd just be out a bunch of money shipping + insuring it, and their opinion would still cost you.

Honestly, a card off center top to bottom bothers me far less than a card off center left to right. My OCD doesn't kick in the same way. And, I know I'm not the only one to think that way. If you were to sell that, you wouldn't get 8 money, but you'd have no problem moving it at a nice sum.

It's a beautiful card. Congratulations! That's one of my favorite Clemente cards. His '58, '55 and '56 are a bit ahead of it on my want list, but I'd be proud to have that card in my collection.

Let us know what you decide to do.

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-13-2016, 01:35 PM
Andy S@ld@n@

Leave it as is. Card is definitely a "6" from the top to bottom centering. Don't waste your time with PSA trying to get graded without the qualifier.
Old 04-13-2016, 04:14 PM
Charles
Cha.rles

Thank you, everyone. You've been an enormous help. I think I"ll hold on to this card for a while.

- Charles

Check out my collection..........
http://ImageEvent.com/The_Cardfather

Check out my stuff for sale.........
(Message me for Net54 members direct sale discount.)
https://www.ebay.com/str/thecardfathersstore

Last edited by The-Cardfather; 04-13-2016 at 04:18 PM.