NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 04-16-2016, 11:34 AM
Bill Gregory

Default Vintage and PSA's grading consistency over time

PSA started their business in 1998. So, we're coming up on two full decades that they have been grading baseball cards. My question is this: over time, how consistent has PSA remained when grading vintage cards? I ask because it seems that recently graded vintage cards are showing far lower grades than I would expect. Am I just missing things, or have they perhaps become more critical in their evaluations?

Here's a hypothetical. Say we were to take three different 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle baseball cards, and all have been graded a "7" by PSA.

The first was graded shortly after the company began, so in 1998 or 1999.
The second was graded in 2007, or 2008.
The third was recently graded, in 2016.

If I were to compare these cards side by side, how much disparity would I see between the conditional quality of these examples?

There will always be some variation, because it is human beings that do the grading. But, have their written standards changed over time? I wasn't collecting when they started business. In fact, I've only been "back" for the past five years, or so. But it sure seems that vintage cards freshly graded by PSA are seeing tougher grades than before.

What's the likelihood that we'll see PSA (or more accurately, PSA's graders) relax those standards somewhat in the future? And will cards getting 6s and 7s now get cracked in order to get 7s and 8s in a few years? One would think that the key to PSA's reputation would be consistency over time. A PSA 7 in 1998 should be the same as a PSA 7 in 2016. If all PSA 7s are not created the same, what's the use in having a company grade cards at all?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.

Last edited by the 'stache; 04-16-2016 at 11:39 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 11:46 AM
Peter Spaeth

Actually it was 1991 or 2. Over time, the perception has been that there have been stricter periods and looser periods, with now being very strict. But somehow, even with some inconsistency, they manage to creep along -- and completely dominate the industry.

Last edited by Peter_Spaeth; 04-16-2016 at 11:48 AM.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Actually it was 1991 or 2. Over time, the perception has been that there have been stricter periods and looser periods, with now being very strict. But somehow, even with some inconsistency, they manage to creep along -- and completely dominate the industry.
PSA was grading cards in 1991.
Old 04-16-2016, 12:17 PM
Michael

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
If all PSA 7s are not created the same, what's the use in having a company grade cards at all?
This has always been my sentiment. However, as Peter points out, "But somehow, even with some inconsistency, they manage to creep along."
Old 04-16-2016, 12:21 PM
J0hn Raff3rty

Yes, the current thought is that PSA is strict currently, especially much harder on short (MINSIZREQ) cards that used to get number grades. In fact, there are collectors of the 1975 Minis that only buy newer graded cards because they know many of the old ones wouldn't measure up to the correct size in PSA's old holders.

Some people cracking out 6s and 7s trying to get bumps or crossovers and getting hosed on MINSIZREQ or ALTERED Trimmed. I sent in 100 EX or better cards of the T51 series and was thrilled to get two 8s, 10 7s, 10 6.5's, 17 6's, etc. But these were collected over the years by someone with a great eye. Some of them were Mint, but I never expected to get such high scores.
BGS: Can't detect trimming on modern
SGC: Closed auto authentication business
JSA: Approved same T206 Autos before SGC
Oh, what a difference a year makes.

Last edited by swarmee; 04-16-2016 at 02:39 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Peter Spaeth

The one thing that has been true from the start is PSA giveth, PSA taketh.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:30 PM
D@le Irv*n

Quote:
Originally Posted by the 'stache View Post
PSA started their business in 1998. So, we're coming up on two full decades that they have been grading baseball cards. My question is this: over time, how consistent has PSA remained when grading vintage cards? I ask because it seems that recently graded vintage cards are showing far lower grades than I would expect. Am I just missing things, or have they perhaps become more critical in their evaluations?

Here's a hypothetical. Say we were to take three different 1952 Topps Mickey Mantle baseball cards, and all have been graded a "7" by PSA.

The first was graded shortly after the company began, so in 1998 or 1999.
The second was graded in 2007, or 2008.
The third was recently graded, in 2016.

If I were to compare these cards side by side, how much disparity would I see between the conditional quality of these examples?

There will always be some variation, because it is human beings that do the grading. But, have their written standards changed over time? I wasn't collecting when they started business. In fact, I've only been "back" for the past five years, or so. But it sure seems that vintage cards freshly graded by PSA are seeing tougher grades than before.

What's the likelihood that we'll see PSA (or more accurately, PSA's graders) relax those standards somewhat in the future? And will cards getting 6s and 7s now get cracked in order to get 7s and 8s in a few years? One would think that the key to PSA's reputation would be consistency over time. A PSA 7 in 1998 should be the same as a PSA 7 in 2016. If all PSA 7s are not created the same, what's the use in having a company grade cards at all?
From the research/looking trying to educate myself, I have seen, undeniably, there is a difference between older graded cards VS newer ones.

Imo, all one has to do is check out E-Bay and you will see for yourself older slabbed cards are graded much higher than newer slabbed graded cards.

Seen many 4's-5's that, imo, if graded today would receive 2-3's at best.

I am not a big purchaser by any stretch, but the cards I lean towards are the ones with the Hologram, as, from what I understand, are the newest graded cards?

I have also seen, even on here, but that is based on scans/pics, some cards that are graded way too low imo.

Like what has been mentioned, the human element comes into play so there will never be 100% consistency on any given day.

Last edited by irv; 04-16-2016 at 01:31 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 01:35 PM

1975 Minis were terribly miscut from the factory. You can open packs with cards that psa says are trimmed. The same with 1955 Bowmans.
Old 04-18-2016, 04:55 AM
Glyn Parson

Default Early "Merkle Era" SGC

are every bit as inconsistent if not more so than early PSA, compared to current standards, in my honest opinion. There is just a much smaller number of those graded.
Old 04-18-2016, 09:44 AM
Howard Chasser

Default Buy the card not the holder

I have been collecting since well before PSA and during PSA's early days. Inconsistency is the norm, not the exception. As has been stated numerous times in numerous threads - buy the card, NOT the holder.
Old 04-18-2016, 11:05 AM
je.sse @rnot

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
are every bit as inconsistent if not more so than early PSA, compared to current standards, in my honest opinion. There is just a much smaller number of those graded.
I can confirm this as I was told by someone at SGC that if the flip doesn't have the SGC grade and the 1-10 equivalent their guarantee does not apply. If such a card is sent in for a reholder the grade can be reviewed and lowered.
Old 04-18-2016, 01:19 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:
Originally Posted by glynparson View Post
Centering was almost irrelevant in those days. Not sure they did the best job identifying alterations either.
Old 04-18-2016, 02:06 PM
David M.

I used to think PSA was all about the corners, now they seem to be all about the centering. Of course a card still has to have nice corners, too. This in turn has driven the market to care much more about centering than they used to.
Old 04-18-2016, 07:41 PM
Bill Gregory

I would like to see a TPG create a set of guidelines, and stick to them. Centering is a purely visual aesthetic. That is a big time factor in what a card sells for. Shouldn't color and focus also be just as important? A card can be centered perfectly, but if the color is faded, and the image not focused, who cares about the centering?

Great transactions with: piedmont150, Cardboard Junkie, z28jd, t206blogcom, tinkertoeverstochance, trobba, Texxxx, marcdelpercio, t206hound, zachs, tolstoi, IronHorse 2130, AndyG09, BBT206, jtschantz, lug-nut, leaflover, Abravefan11, mpemulis, btcarfagno, BlueSky, and Frankbmd.
Old 04-18-2016, 08:47 PM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

Bill, imo, you stated the key phrase, " stick to them ", regarding grading guidelines. Each one of us has seen enough graded cards that not all 5's are equal. PSA has really tightened up the grading. I have some 5's now would have passed for 7's previously. I have also seen cards graded a 6 that were rubbish, and may pull a 4 now.