NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used > Autograph Forum- Primarily Sports

Old 12-05-2013, 09:13 PM
Drew Ekb@ck

Default Team Auto Ball question

I am a novice at best when it comes to autographs so I pass this along to those with much more know how. Is there certain team signed balls (assuming all the autographs are legit) worth the value of the sum of the signatures on the ball?

For instance I know that Babe Ruth single signed ball would probably fetch as close to or even more than a team ball with his signature on it but what if the ball was from say the 1927 Yankees team?

The reason I ask is it has come to my attention that a man in my community owns a team signed ball from the 1918 World Champion Boston Red Sox. It has close to 30 autographs on it including Ruth. It is owned by a father of a young man who works with me and he asked me what I thought it might be worth. I had no idea so I called a friend of mine who collects autographs to ask him. He didn't seem to feel that it would get much more of a premium than just a single signed Ruth ball from the same time. Then again, my friend might not really know what he is talking about when it comes to an item like this.

I am not in debate over the authenticity of the ball but rather just a general question as to why a ball like this wouldn't command a higher price when it has (in my opinion) more historical value than a single singed ball?

Any opinions and help would be appreciated.
Drew
Old 12-06-2013, 12:27 AM
Derek 0u3ll3tt3

Not my realm of expertise by any stretch, but I would think it would be worth more, for the historical aspect you noted and considering there are likely one or two (or more) players on that ball that are much tougher to find (though not as in demand) as Ruth. Team signed balls from that era are almost unheard of, so if it's in nice shape I would guess its value to be higher than a single-signed Ruth, maybe considerably so depending on the players present on the ball.
Old 12-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Andrew L@Vine

I agree with Derek...chances are a team ball is worth more...but all depends on the condition of the autographs, etc. I know another 1918 ball is currently on ebay listed for $175K, which is a long shot. Another great team ball that recently sold at auction (Heritage) was a 1910 Philadelphia Athletics (Eddie Plank, Frank Baker, etc.), which went for approx. $40K or so if I remember correctly.
Old 12-06-2013, 01:23 PM
T0m C@rf@gn0

Quote:
Originally Posted by almostdone View Post
I am a novice at best when it comes to autographs so I pass this along to those with much more know how. Is there certain team signed balls (assuming all the autographs are legit) worth the value of the sum of the signatures on the ball?

For instance I know that Babe Ruth single signed ball would probably fetch as close to or even more than a team ball with his signature on it but what if the ball was from say the 1927 Yankees team?

The reason I ask is it has come to my attention that a man in my community owns a team signed ball from the 1918 World Champion Boston Red Sox. It has close to 30 autographs on it including Ruth. It is owned by a father of a young man who works with me and he asked me what I thought it might be worth. I had no idea so I called a friend of mine who collects autographs to ask him. He didn't seem to feel that it would get much more of a premium than just a single signed Ruth ball from the same time. Then again, my friend might not really know what he is talking about when it comes to an item like this.

I am not in debate over the authenticity of the ball but rather just a general question as to why a ball like this wouldn't command a higher price when it has (in my opinion) more historical value than a single singed ball?

Any opinions and help would be appreciated.
Drew
Drew,

For a ball like that, it would have more value than a single of Ruth for certain. Team signed balls from pre-1920 are exceedingly rare. To have one with Babe Ruth on it even moreso. That being the last Red Sox world championship team for several generations....I think that interest in the ball would be outrageous. If the signatures on the ball are still bold, I can see it going for six figures.

Tom C
Old 12-06-2013, 06:49 PM
Brendan Mullen

The $175,000 ball on eBay, you think the seller would have someone with a semi decent understanding of the English language write up the description.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:42 AM
Tho.mas Car.ter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bpm0014 View Post
The $175,000 ball on eBay, you think the seller would have someone with a semi decent understanding of the English language write up the description.
Having a hard time deciding if I want to buy the $70,000 counterfeit beanie baby or not.

Last edited by callou2131; 12-13-2013 at 08:43 AM.