NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 07-31-2014, 11:26 AM
Barry Sloate

Thanks Gary, but why is there an entire section of people doing this? It looks like it must be a big moneymaker. And why is gambling encouraged at the National? Can I rent a table and set up a black jack and roulette concession? Look pretty creepy to me.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:11 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysloate View Post
Thanks Gary, but why is there an entire section of people doing this? It looks like it must be a big moneymaker. And why is gambling encouraged at the National? Can I rent a table and set up a black jack and roulette concession? Look pretty creepy to me.
They do this a lot over at Beckett. They do 'live' breaks. The person would buy a 'case' and most likely keeps the treasure card(s) that usually comes with a case and sell the packs.
This is on the new stuff of course. I watched in on a few. People can buy teams or conferences and when 'break' they get all the ones correlated to their teams.

Last edited by pawpawdiv9; 07-31-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 01:52 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Nasty Nati View Post
+100...anyone have a picture?
Old 07-31-2014, 01:56 PM
Gobucsmagic74

Nice! ^
Old 07-31-2014, 02:08 PM
B. Schneid.
Ben Sch.neider

New SGC flip looks great! Old school style with new school security. I'll be sending SGC a shipment shortly.
Old 07-31-2014, 02:09 PM
Tony N.

SGC label is perfect!!!
Old 07-31-2014, 02:18 PM
j'a'y mi.ll.e.r

LOL, looks like the cabinet has slipped out of the gasket.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:01 PM
_G@ґy*€hℯη_

SGC flip looks nice. Are the words in green also? Thought it might be better in black, but should be fine.

Last edited by glchen; 07-31-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 07-31-2014, 03:06 PM
Tyler Cox

To hell with the flip...lets see that Big Ed!
Old 07-31-2014, 05:46 PM
Peter Spaeth

Very exciting indeed.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:13 PM
Ne@l K

Any Cali or AZ collectors out there, or did they stay home?

Maybe nex year .... I really want to meet a handful of them.
Old 07-31-2014, 06:29 PM
Ken McMillan

California collector here but did not go to the National. Have a conference in San Diego starting Monday
Old 07-31-2014, 07:19 PM
A.J. Johnson

I'm in LA...heading out tonight on the red eye!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neal View Post

Old 07-31-2014, 08:04 PM
Peter Spaeth

Quote:

Neal, Let Them Stay home.

He is available to do custom drawings in graphite, charcoal and other media. He also sells some of his works as note cards/greeting cards on Etsy under JamesSpaethArt.
Old 07-31-2014, 08:13 PM

Default Breakers Pavilion

At the national today, I was also shocked by the size of the Breakers Pavilion. Guess it is just my lack of understanding of how these work. To the best of my knowledge, you can now buy 'shares' into a box break that they will stream over the internet.

ripkings.com is an example

Probably 8-10 small booths, all streaming box breaks and one main radio/tv announcing the box break. They announce every card... I have pictures on my phone that I'll try to post.

Rich
Old 07-31-2014, 09:03 PM
Daniel R.

Quote:

Los Angeles collector here. I'll be there tomorrow.
Old 07-31-2014, 09:11 PM
D Marvin

Los Angeles based collector here also. Decided to go, to Las Vegas for first weekend of college football instead of Cleveland this year. LOVE THIS THREAD'
Old 07-31-2014, 10:11 PM
Ne@l K

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter_Spaeth View Post
Neal, Let Them Stay home.
LOL

I hear the place hasn't gotten any better, Peter, and those who I have spoken with said it is worse then ever before and now very much divided ....
Old 08-01-2014, 06:33 AM
Bruce C.

Spent most of yesterday paying for shiny new stuff (brought my nephew and that's what he is into). Did pick-up 3 more T205s from fellow board member Ed Hahn (Stanage Sovereign, Phelps Cycle, & Crandall crossed T American Beauty), probably going back for more. I bought my 1st T205 from Ed and it was a Crandall crossed T Cycle back, glad to add the American Beauty back from him also. Got to see Leon's museum display. Signed up for a year at PSA, got a set of their new version of Diamond Stars "Cards that Never Were", have no idea what I'm going to do with those. Hopefully will get time today to look for stuff I'm interested in.

Last edited by albrshbr; 08-01-2014 at 07:19 AM. Reason: added in details
Old 08-01-2014, 08:48 AM
Mark Danner

Can't wait to get there tomorrow. Anyone see many t210's floating around? Or anyone know of anything fun going on Saturday night? Going solo and don't feel like sitting around the hotel all evening.
Old 08-01-2014, 11:59 AM
Alex

Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobysnacksforyou View Post
Can't wait to get there tomorrow. Anyone see many t210's floating around? Or anyone know of anything fun going on Saturday night? Going solo and don't feel like sitting around the hotel all evening.
I have been disappointed by the T210 selection. So far I think I've seen around 30 total.
SLers = 33/48
Horizontals = 6/6

ALWAYS looking for T206 with back damage.
Old 08-01-2014, 01:51 PM
Mark Danner

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Only Smoke 4 the Cards View Post
I have been disappointed by the T210 selection. So far I think I've seen around 30 total.
ugh, I was hoping there would be a few more than that. Odds aren't good that there are any of my series 4's to be had then.
Old 08-01-2014, 02:03 PM

Default Barry....

I was confused about that also

GREAT POSTS! I FEEL Like I'm THERE
Old 08-01-2014, 06:34 PM
Scott
Scott All.en

Just got back from my first ever National. Son and I drove out from Michigan for the day.

There is one overall impression I just can't shake. I happen to be a deer hunter and a once-a-month guys-night-out poker player, and as I walked around with serious cash (for me) in hand ready to spend, I realized that for many of these guys, this is their deer hunting trip/poker night!!!

The purpose for these dealers isn't to sell anything, it's to chat with each other and tell stories! It was actually pretty funny after a while. Of course, some guys were great and would immediately say hi and ask if you needed a price (which was a rare thing to see indeed!) But I suspect that most of these guys would show up once a year and set up their booths regardless of the number of customers. In fact, I suspect some of these guys would just prefer the customers weren't even there! And I can't really blame them - I'd probably be the same way!

And the prices!! Admittedly, there was so much vintage stuff that there could have been great deals and I wouldn't have known, but I was looking to buy Diamond Stars, 34 Goudeys, and finish my '69 Topps set.

One dealer tried to tell me that his '69 Reggie psa 7 was worth $200 more than the going rate for a psa 7. Okay, maybe...but it wasn't, it was off-centered a little just like all the rest. Another wanted $50 for a raw vg '52 George Kell - readily available for around $15. And the few raw Diamond Stars I saw were averaging about double the price on ebay. Graded ones were also about double. I bought exactly 1.

I got the distinct impression that the dealers assumed average customers like me had no clue about prices and so everything, for the most part, was over-priced compared to card target or ebay sold data.

We had fun and saw some amazing stuff, but I came back with way more money than I intended. I think the Sunday afternoon theory might be the best bet for me next time.

And thanks to David Cycleback who literally crawled under a table with a black light to examine an old Babe Ruth photo of mine just to verify its authenticity. Best $10 I spent all day! Super nice guy as well.

Had to take a picture of this little gem:
Old 08-01-2014, 07:35 PM
Ben H*ds@n

[QUOTE=SAllen2556;1304882

We had fun and saw some amazing stuff, but I came back with way more money than I intended. I think the Sunday afternoon theory might be the best bet for me next time. [\QUOTE]

I am curious about your Sunday afternoon theory. I have been to the last two Chicago Nationals. Both times on Sunday. I have been able to negotiate with some things, but you also run into dealers packing their merchandise around 1pm.
Old 08-01-2014, 08:08 PM
C.o.e

What booth had the Wagner? I missed that
Old 08-01-2014, 08:37 PM
David Ru.dd Cycl.eback

High point: Meeting all the genuine, friendly collectors and hobbyists out there, including the Net54 board members. Lots of nice people and good conversations.

Low point: The food choices in the exhibition center. In other words, having to eat a hot dog for breakfast.

A lot of the industry/money aspects of the hobby are a turn off to me, but there are a lot of good old fashioned collectors out there.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:21 PM
Bruce C.

Well, finished day 3, and didn't pick up much. Spent most of the day looking for a 1962 Fleer football Billy Shaw, found 5 but 4 were the typical way off center and the 5th was pretty beat. I did pick up an E135-type blank back for a good price.

Went to the PSA awards luncheon, and met a few NET54 members there. Nice luncheon and nice gifts. Big news there is that PSA will start giving true numeric grades to the freaks, ghosts, 2 names, etc. that are all the rage now days.

I've got to agree with others, I'm not sure how many of the dealers really want to make sales. It's tough to tear them away from their discussions with each other to show you cards in their cases. I also can't see how some of these guys expect to make any money either. Lots of 80s/90s junk boxes everywhere. Quite a few dealers I haven't seen anyone visit them.

Also agree about the food. First thing in the morning and the coffee stand isn't even open. Actually, it's never been open. Good thing is they have Labatt Blue Light on tap, anyone looking for me there's the possibility I'm taking my break there.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:28 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by albrshbr View Post
... Went to the PSA awards luncheon, and met a few NET54 members there. Nice luncheon and nice gifts. Big news there is that PSA will start giving true numeric grades to the freaks, ghosts, 2 names, etc. that are all the rage now days. ...

Bruce, what were the gifts this year? I'm assuming their "cards that never were" set?
Old 08-01-2014, 09:36 PM
T0dd M@rcum

My experience with the National is that it's a great place to sell...I have made several significant sales there. As for buying, you can do pretty well bottom fishing...picking up $3 cards for a dime...but otherwise, be prepared to pay retail. That said, it is well worth going anytime you can.
Old 08-01-2014, 09:40 PM
Ken McMillan

I collect E121-80 yankees and Giants so my "National" was about 3 weeks ago when there were massive numbers of E121-80 cards in Ebay. I picked up 5 cards and seriously doubt if I could have done better at the Cleveland National. Spent about as much as I would have before even stepping in the door at Cleveland without the travel. Been to 3 Nationals before and enjoyed each of them but never had the success that I did on the 3 days on eBay.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:01 PM
Bruce C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Bruce, what were the gifts this year? I'm assuming their "cards that never were" set?
They did give out 1 random "Cards that Never Were", and one of their plastic boxes to store graded cards in, and a shoulder bag. Decent lunch too, better than $6 hamburgers and $4 bottles of water. Not bad for free.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:39 PM
Bob B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmac32 View Post
I collect E121-80 yankees and Giants so my "National" was about 3 weeks ago when there were massive numbers of E121-80 cards in Ebay. I picked up 5 cards and seriously doubt if I could have done better at the Cleveland National. Spent about as much as I would have before even stepping in the door at Cleveland without the travel. Been to 3 Nationals before and enjoyed each of them but never had the success that I did on the 3 days on eBay.
Did well at the last National on the west coast, which was many, many years ago for some reason. Hint, Hint...
Old 08-01-2014, 10:43 PM
Jeff 'Prize-ner'

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post

A lot of the industry/money aspects of the hobby are a turn off to me, but there are a lot of good old fashioned collectors out there.
Well said, agree 100%.
Old 08-01-2014, 10:50 PM
Ken McMillan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbvc View Post
Did well at the last National on the west coast, which was many, many years ago for some reason. Hint, Hint...
Would be nice to have a "National" on the West Coast. Anaheim or San Diego would be nice. If people wanted Cheap hotels, they could stay in Tiajuana. LOL
Old 08-01-2014, 11:30 PM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

YES!!

San Diego would be the perfect venue. Great convention center, right next to Petco Park and the Gaslamp District (with limitless resaturant choices and bars within easy walking distance). Not to mention Seaport Village, the Zoo, Balboa Park, Museums and Downtown all within 10 minutes- for family members who prefer to stray.

Plus, it's 6 minutes from the airport, with the waterfront and over 30 nice hotels in easy walking distance. And yes- even Tijuana is close by. I just don't understand why these shows must exclusively reside east of the Mississippi.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:14 AM
qualitycards

Quote:
Originally Posted by perezfan View Post
YES!!

I just don't understand why these shows must exclusively reside east of the Mississippi.
Because the huge majority of the dealers live east of the Mississippi.
And they would rather drive a few hours w/ their inventory then drive 2 days.
If a western destination would be offered, I suspect it would be voted down.
I too would like a different show site out west, but I have no vote nor say.
Vegas would be high on my list.

Edited for spelling error!

Last edited by Jay Wolt; 08-02-2014 at 06:14 AM.
Old 08-02-2014, 06:41 AM
P.hil €lli$

Quote:
Originally Posted by drcy View Post
High point: Meeting all the genuine, friendly collectors and hobbyists out there, including the Net54 board members. Lots of nice people and good conversations.

Low point: The food choices in the exhibition center. In other words, having to eat a hot dog for breakfast.

When I started reading your post, I saw the phrase "hot dog for breakfast" and thought that was going to be listed under your "high point"
Old 08-02-2014, 07:45 AM
ErikV

Default Re: West Coast National

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Wolt View Post
Because the huge majority of the dealers live east of the Mississippi.
And they would rather drive a few hours w/ their inventory then drive 2 days.
If a western destination would be offered, I suspect it would be voted down.
I too would like a different show site out west, but I have no vote nor say.
Vegas would be high on my list.

Edited for spelling error!

This topic always hits a nerve with me. In the last 14 years we've had one
National on the west coast (2006). So there's a lot of dealer on the east coast,
great. But guess what, there's a lot of collectors/consumers on the west coast
too!

While I think Vegas is not the ideal venue for a National (National always takes
place during the summer, which happens to be the worse time of the year for
Vegas, usually 100-115 degrees and lack of family attractions), I would love to
have another NATION-al here on the west side.

I think San Diego would be a superb choice. As previously stated, San Diego has
a host of family attractions and they're all centrally located. Additionally, the
weather is a tad cooler in SD then it is in LA/OC.

The National locations are already predesignated through 2019, so we've got to
wait at least another SIX years before we get a chance on a west coast National.

ErikV
Old 08-02-2014, 08:16 AM
ErikV

Default Re: Live National Report Thread....

Just got these pics from Al/LOTG booth at the National. He said these cards
were being consigned for his fall auction. I see an Old Judge King Kelly,
Exhibit Lou Gehrig, Toleteros Gibson, Famous-Barr Jim Thorpe, T206 Magie
error to name just a few.

Thanks for the pics, Al.

ErikV
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.jpg (75.4 KB, 870 views)
File Type: jpg 002.jpg (73.4 KB, 868 views)
Old 08-02-2014, 08:19 AM
Mike P.ap

Default PSA Awards Event and Panini VIP event questions....

I saw that somebody had gone to the PSA Awards event. FREE?? Can anyone just line up and go in? Do you have to be a PSA member?

Also, my buddy who could not make it was invited to the Panini VIP event. Did anyone on here go to that and could you let me know if it was good time or not? Any freebies?

Thanks! mike
Old 08-02-2014, 08:35 AM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtgmsc View Post
I saw that somebody had gone to the PSA Awards event. FREE?? Can anyone just line up and go in? Do you have to be a PSA member?

Also, my buddy who could not make it was invited to the Panini VIP event. Did anyone on here go to that and could you let me know if it was good time or not? Any freebies?

Thanks! mike

The PSA luncheon is free for Set Registry members. I think to get into the Panini VIP event you have to buy some ridiculous amount of their product at the show.
Old 08-02-2014, 08:57 AM

Default great posts.....

want to thank all the collectors and posters who called me/ posted on the board....I felt like I was almost there....

keep 'em coming....
Old 08-02-2014, 09:22 AM
Mike P.ap

Default PSA lunch

Thanks Daryl !! mike
Old 08-02-2014, 09:30 AM
Steve Woe.lfel

Default What's the biggest theme so far?

I know that there's still over a full day to go, but for those attending, what is the big item/story/trend at the National this year (i.e. the Old Mill Blue Back in 2012, etc...)? Thanks for all the reports!
T206 SLers: 11/48
T206 Back Run: 28/39

Desiderata

You are a child of the universe,
no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you,
no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.
With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams,
it is still a beautiful world.
Strive to be happy.
Old 08-02-2014, 01:42 PM
J@son M1ller

Doug Allen smiling was the most unnerving thing I saw
Old 08-02-2014, 04:26 PM

Default Prices

Went to the National today with a pocket full of cash ready to spend. Came back home with a pocket full of cash. I don't mind paying a 10% premium or so for the convenience of buying in person, but most cards I got cash prices on were more like 30-60% over market value, some up to 100%. It's still worth the $20 entry fee and the time to check things out, but I'll do my card shopping elsewhere.
Old 08-02-2014, 04:39 PM
Greg Ryk0w$k1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmcjfc View Post
Went to the National today with a pocket full of cash ready to spend. Came back home with a pocket full of cash. I don't mind paying a 10% premium or so for the convenience of buying in person, but most cards I got cash prices on were more like 30-60% over market value, some up to 100%. It's still worth the $20 entry fee and the time to check things out, but I'll do my card shopping elsewhere.
I've never been and may just go next year, but this does seem to be the general theme. I guess if I do go, I'll just plan on browsing and meeting people from here and do my buying elsewhere.

https://www.collectorfocus.com/collection/gregr2
Old 08-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Chris Browne
Administrator

Old 08-02-2014, 06:04 PM
Daryl

Quote:
Originally Posted by atx840 View Post

The ultimate in irony!