NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Watercooler Talk- ALL sports talk

Old 06-26-2019, 08:43 AM
Fr@nk Burke++

Default Expos(e) for X-Rays?

A split season sounds ridiculous and problematic, but could be a marketing bonanza with so many possibilities

It really makes sense for surely one is exposed on their X-rays.

Throw New England into the deal for a football team called the “Expats”

Forget the Rays all together and call them “St. Pete PoBoys”.

For disgruntled Rays fans the team could become known as the “Montreal Devil Pays”

Without a new domed stadium in Tampa Bay and playing only spring and fall games there, they would be creating a “domeless” problem in St Pete.

If the deal goes through without MLB owner’s approval, would the entire team become illegal aliens or merely undocumented shortstops?

If the Exrays go to Montréal for the whole season, the stadium in St. Pete could become a national monument called “Flopicana” that could well draw bigger crowds than baseball did. Recall that the “Trop” was built before a team committed to play there, then became the first home for the Tampa Bay Lightning before the Devil Rays were even conceived. Ah, such a rich history of failure worthy of preservation, or should I say conservation despite the fact that the stadium was altered twice before and after the Lightning’s occupancy.

GOOD FOR THE HOBBY AND THE FORUM WITH A VAULT IN AN UNDISCLOSED LOCATION FILLED WITH NON-FUNGIBLES

274/1000 Monster Number

Nearly*1000* successful B/S/T transactions completed in 2012-24.
Over 680 sales with satisfied Board members served.
If you want fries with your order, just speak up.
Thank you all.

Now nearly PQ.

Last edited by frankbmd; 06-28-2019 at 09:16 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:12 AM

The whole idea is ridiculous to me. If the owner of the team is of the opinion that the team can't survive where it is, move it! Why suggest this ridiculous proposal that you play half your games somewhere else just to keep your at home franchise alive?

Last edited by packs; 06-26-2019 at 09:12 AM.
Old 06-26-2019, 12:28 PM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankbmd View Post
Throw New England into the deal for a football team called the “Expats”
They almost did become expats; James Orthwein outbid Robert Kraft in 1992 for the team, with the intention of moving them to St. Louis. Kraft bought the parking lots around Foxboro Stadium and wouldn't let Orthwein out of the lease early, so Orthwein sold the team to Kraft two years later.
Old 06-26-2019, 02:09 PM

The article I read last week seemed to indicate that this deal was predicated on the idea that a new stadium would be built in St Petersburg and also in Montreal. Both would be open air, or not domes.

Whatever the case, if they wait until there are new stadiums, or they just split between Tropicana Field and Olympic Stadium, I hope they do rename the team. As it would be weird for fans in Montreal to have a team that doesn't represent them. I know there have been situations where a team had been multi-homed, or played home games in the wrong city, but those all had been temporary or due to some disaster or financial situation. Nothing planned.

Also if they do get a rename, I hope they get a new jersey or logo design.
Old 06-26-2019, 09:50 PM
Sean McGinty

I'm a lifelong Expos fan, so I'm of mixed feelings. On the one hand I'm ecstatic since, regardless of what actually happens, this is further evidence that Montreal is the leading candidate to get an MLB baseball team (whether its the Rays or an expansion team).

On the other, I don't see how the Rays splitting a season with Montreal is going to work. Its a worst of both worlds for both cities - Montrealers aren't Rays fans, they want a Montreal team to root for. Tampa Bay fans obviously don't want their team to be away for half their home games either.
Old 06-27-2019, 07:44 AM
Adam Yastrzemski

Baseball in Florida has been a failure - the marlins and rays are 29 and 30 in attendance. The Jays are 22 so Canada’s only remaining team isn’t doing so hot either. A split season with only 41 games to sell in each city may be a match that works for both. It is an interesting concept worth a try. It may also help to hold games in Canada during the really hot months.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:08 AM
Lou Simcoe
L0u Sim.coe

The Rays ownership needs to petition to move the team to Montreal. If I remember correctly, Steinbrenner was instrumental in getting baseball to Tampa, however attendance has been a failure.

It's too bad because the Rays have fielded competitive teams.

If the Rays move to Montreal, I imagine they become the Expos and are an AL team?
Old 06-27-2019, 02:33 PM

It would make sense for them to be an AL team, otherwise what team would you support moving to the AL? The Mets?

Also, does the Nationals still retain the copyrights to the Expos name and branding? Have the Nationals ever wore Expos throwback jerseys during a game?
Old 06-27-2019, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripredacus View Post
It would make sense for them to be an AL team, otherwise what team would you support moving to the AL? The Mets?

Also, does the Nationals still retain the copyrights to the Expos name and branding? Have the Nationals ever wore Expos throwback jerseys during a game?
The Nats will wear Expos uniforms on July 6.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:13 PM
Sean McGinty

Quote:
Originally Posted by icollectDCsports View Post
The Nats will wear Expos uniforms on July 6.
That is the first time they'll do that. They do own all the rights to the Expos name, logo etc but they don't do much to acknowledge the connection, they don't even recognize the Expos retired numbers (of Dawson, Carter, Raines and Staub - the only recognition they get of all places is by the Habs in the NHL who have a banner acknowledging their numbers. They also gave the Expos mascot Youppi a second life).

I do hope that they'll give those trademarks to whatever team ends up in Montreal. There really isn't any connection between Montreal and the team, I don't know of any Expos fans who transferred their allegiance to the Nats (the Blue Jays probably got way more) so there isn't any continuity between the two.
Old 06-27-2019, 09:14 PM
Tim M

My understanding is the biggest problem is the Rays lease at Tropicana, was called iron clad in an article I read. I think another part of the attendance problem is the location of stadium as well, if you live in Tampa, you have to cross a bridge to get to St Pete and the stadium, not even in Tampa. I have been to a few games there and the fans are great, stadium stinks, halls are narrow, I think if they could get a stadium in Tampa, they would have a better chance.
Old 06-28-2019, 07:22 AM
Sco.tt Mar.cus

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanofjapan View Post
There really isn't any connection between Montreal and the team, I don't know of any Expos fans who transferred their allegiance to the Nats (the Blue Jays probably got way more) so there isn't any continuity between the two.
This is anecdotal, but my relatives in Montreal transferred their allegiance to the Red Sox when the Expos left.
Old 06-28-2019, 03:56 PM
Ste.ve Na.polit.ano

I think it would be pretty cool for teams to play a series a year in their spring training home. I’d find that a lot more interesting than this London nonsense.