NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Modern Baseball Cards Forum (1980-Present)

Old 06-08-2019, 01:47 PM

Default 1989 Score

I've been taking a break from my usual collecting and for the fun of it, I've been putting together all the sets from the "junk wax" era - I had many of them back in the day, and I still think they're good, despite no monetary value to speak of. So I pick up a factory set of 1989 Score from my local shop's "sale" table for $5 (it's a set I didn't have way back when) and when I opened it up, I was surprised to see the contents collated alphabetically by players' last names. I can't for the life of me imagine why Score would have sorted them this way - it certainly doesn't correspond in any way to the printing or cutting process; I would imagine it had to take an extra step or two and given the small margins they were already working on makes little obvious sense.

One thing it does do is conveniently show that there were 9 players in the set named Davis (the most common last name). Anyone care to guess? And no cheating!
Old 06-08-2019, 10:37 PM
St@n Go.len

Alvin, Glenn, Eric, Mike, Storm, Russ, Chili, Tim, Terry

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Old 06-09-2019, 10:06 AM

You got 6 correct - Alvin, Eric, Glenn, Mike, Storm and Chili. You missed on Jody, Mark and John.

Tim and Russ debuted in 1994, and there's no record at BR of a Terry Davis.

Thank you for playing!
Old 06-11-2019, 02:29 PM

Fleer also did it by team, then Alphabetical. I think tho also they arranged the teams by how they finished in the standings and then alphabetical by last name. This is at least true from 1987 (1986 season) and 1990 (1989 season) for their regular sets.

I always did prefer the sets that, at least, would group the teams together, rather than the common practice of just having players appear randomly.

I also recall that some sets would have certain players have the same card number every year, and some sets (not really thinking about baseball) where the card number would match the jersey number for some players.
Old 06-15-2019, 08:37 AM

Yes - Fleer from 1981 until at least 1992 numbered their sets in order of team finish, and then alphabetically within teams. But, when you bought a factory set, they were all unsorted. This 1989 Score set was pre-sorted alphabetically.
Old 06-15-2019, 11:18 AM
Arthur R!ch

That's fascinating and I had never heard that before. Having an affinity for all things junk wax culture I thank you for sharing this.

It sounds like you're putting the cards into albums? How great was the photography in the '88 Score set? I swear, you take every star and HOF player card and make them silhouettes and you'd still be able to tell exactly who they are.

Arthur

Successful transactions with Burger King, Amazon, Great Cuts, Tacos Villa Corona, TJ Maxx