NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Sports (Primarily) Vintage Memorabilia Forum incl. Game Used

Old 08-15-2011, 10:18 PM
Graig Kreindler

Default Who would you pick?

Hey all,

So, I had a random question that I thought might make for a nice thread. Or, maybe I'm just pretty curious to hear what people think, especially since everyone here is so knowledgeable and passionate about the game.

For whatever reason, I have a weird, borderline unhealthy fascination with the 1936 Yankees and Giants. It might have something to do with the fact that that World Series (as well as that from the following year) was one which my grandfather could have conceivably been to. He grew up a Giants fan, and certainly got to see plenty games at the Polo Grounds during the 1910s and 1920s. Since he passed when I was still pretty young, I never got to talk baseball with him, but I can only imagine that his memories of those late 1930s teams are pretty vivid. So, in my head, it's easy to think about him at the Polo Grounds watching the two teams duke it out during the Fall Classic. I guess I think of it as a connection to someone in my family that I never got to experience.

Or, maybe it's because there's that wonderful full-game radio broadcast of Game 3 at the Stadium, with Tom Manning, Ty Tyson and Red Barber that I've had since I was a teenager. Barber worked his innings brilliantly and was really able to paint a picture of Yankee Stadium for me. I loved hearing him talk about Red Rolfe catching a popup behind third base and having to shake his head to ring tears out of his eyes from the glare. And, of course, the whistling of the elevated train in right field? I mean, radio just isn't like that anymore.

Perhaps it's just the fact that each team sported so many amazing Hall of Famers? DiMaggio. Gehrig. Lazzeri. Dickey. Ruffing. Gomez. Ott. Terry. Hubbell. Jackson. Not bad, I suppose.

Either way, one of my lifetime projects is to do single portraits of each member of both teams, all of which would be the same size (16" x 20") and ideally, hang in the same space. Where I'll have room for it, I have NO clue. But yeah, I'd love each image to come from the same year (if not period), with each player being in their home whites (or, creams as it were). If I ever get some disposable income (or better yet, a LOT of disposable income), I'd love to get cuts of each member too, probably to create some sort of monstrous display.

So, if money and time were no option for you guys, which team(s) would you like to build the ultimate collection of? And, more importantly, is there a specific reason why? Do you have some kind of connection with the team(s)? Bear in mind, the collection could be comprised of photos, autos, memorabilia, cards, paintings, books, or any kind of combination.

Fun, fun (hopefully)!

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-16-2011 at 08:05 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 11:35 PM
Steven Finley

1935 Detroit Tigers. And I am a St. Louis fan.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:54 AM
rob.ert int.rieri

1975-1976 Cincinnati Reds.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:57 AM
Jason

Default 1912 NY Nationals...

you know, all the folks on the T200 would make quite a room full of mugs, I think. McGraw, Matty, Thorpe, Marquad, etc...

neat idea...
Old 08-16-2011, 06:57 AM
Graig Kreindler

Steven, for a Cards fan to say that, you must feel quite strongly for the '35 team. Any particular reason why?
Old 08-16-2011, 07:11 AM
Mike Rich@rds0n

That's an easy one for me. It would have to be the 1919 Blacksox.
Old 08-16-2011, 07:56 AM

Easy choice would be a classic (albeit cliche) late '40's-mid-50's Brooklyn club, since that is what first drew me into baseball history. But for some reason the first team that popped in my head was the '35 Tigers ... and I have no real explanation for that other than the fact that I own a great '35 Tigers throwback hat signed and inscribed as WS champs by Elden Auker, which I obtained through the mail some years back. I've been intrigued by that club ever since.

Steven -- are you aware of any good literature on the team? I'd like to learn more about it, especially after your ringing endorsement. (Or do you just like them because they lost to the Gashouse Gang Cards in '34?!)
Old 08-16-2011, 08:11 AM

1995 Seattle Mariners. A magical season that saved baseball in Seattle.
Old 08-16-2011, 09:14 AM

Default 1915 Red Sox

For me it would have to be the World Champion 1915 Red Sox. The amount of unbelievable pitching talent alone makes this an easy one for me.
101 regular season wins.
Here is their pitching roster for those that don't already know:

George "Rube" Foster- No-hitter 1916- 2.36 ERA in a shortened career

Smoky Joe Wood- No-hitter 1911- 117 W, 57 L- 2.03 ERA career

Hubert Benjamin "Dutch" Leonard- No-hitters in 1916 and 1918 and the lowest modern ERA- 0.94 in 1914

Carl Mays- 208 wins, 2.92 ERA

Herb Pennock- 241 wins- HOF

Ernie Shore- 2.47 career ERA, 27 consecutive outs in unofficial perfect game in relief of Babe Ruth 1917

Babe Ruth, HOF HR slugger that just happened to be an unbelieveable pitcher too- 94 wins, 46 losses- Career 2.28 ERA, 2 World Series Rings AS A PITCHER!!
Old 08-16-2011, 10:07 AM
M@RK ST€!NBERG

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwantitiwinit View Post
1975-1976 Cincinnati Reds.
+1
Old 08-16-2011, 10:49 AM
Scott R

Default 1919 black sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2686 View Post
That's an easy one for me. It would have to be the 1919 Blacksox.
great choice, as a cubs fan I hate to say it but god what a story especially when considering shoeless Joe.
Old 08-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Vincent Hecksel

Default sbfinley and 1935 Detroit Tigers

Steven, it wouldn't have anything to do with Tom Bridges having an excellent World Series performance, with 2 complete game wins, 2.50 era, and even driving in a run would it ?
Old 08-16-2011, 12:47 PM
J@RR0D

'55 Dodgers
Old 08-16-2011, 03:44 PM
$teve O.

I would also say the '55 Brooklyn Dodgers..........they finally beat the Yankees
Old 08-16-2011, 06:50 PM
Bi11..R0berts

I would have said the 1919 Sox as well, since someone already did. I've always liked the 72-74 Oakland A's teams.
Old 08-16-2011, 08:54 PM
Kyle B@rni@k

Default O's

83 O's- having lived outside Philly it was great to wear their jersey around all the Phils fans as a kid.
Old 08-17-2011, 01:37 AM
Mikeknapp

The 1971 Pirates, Clemente, Stargell, Doc Ellis, Al Oliver, Cash, Sanguillen, Blass, Guisti and crew. I'm definitely biased. I was 8 and fell in love with baseball that year because of that team. They were cool, ethnic, and had a swagger on the field that was captivating. They were a team of contrasting cultures, languages, and playing styles. I could related to them. I am bi-racial and grew up in a home where Spanish was spoken. The Pirates seemed to reflect what was going on in my house. My father was a quiet white guy with a crew cut who smoked cigars, listened to Miles Davis, and loved the Bucs. My Mexican Mother was outspoken, colorful and very opinionated. She also spoke five languages.

At that time my TV was black and white yet oddly enough I remember the Pirates in full color. During the 1971 Series Clemente literally seemed to leap from the TV. The pride I felt when he spoke my mother's language on TV was overwhelming. I know there have been better teams but this is the one that brought me to the dance. Forty years later I'm still loyal to them. Has it really been that long? MLB needs to retire the number 21.
Old 08-17-2011, 05:39 AM
Rick P

I'd go with the Gashouse Gang...the 1934 Cardinals. You'd be hard pressed to find a more colorful group of ballplayers...Ripper, Pepper, Flash, Daffy, Dizzy, Ducky, Spud, Wild Bill, Tex, Dazzy, Gabby, Leo, etc....assembled by, of all people, general manager Branch Rickey while also building the best farm system in the majors. The dirty uniforms, the pre-game pepper drills, the Mudcat Band...in almost every way, these guys played like they had nothing to lose. They won 21 of 28 games in September to win the pennant on the last day of the season, then won the World Series in the seventh game. Their faces reflected how tough life was during the depths of the Depression...guys in their twenties looked like guys in their fifties. What a team...
Old 08-19-2011, 12:33 PM

for me it would have to be the 1869 cincinnati red stockings getting cabinet photos and autographs of every player would be a tremendous undertaking and a small fortune to complete if it could be done. i'm a life long reds fan and alway been interested in sports history and american history and this is the most significant team ever in american sports history.
Old 08-19-2011, 01:30 PM
Steven Finley

Quote:
Originally Posted by HexsHeroes View Post

Steven, it wouldn't have anything to do with Tom Bridges having an excellent World Series performance, with 2 complete game wins, 2.50 era, and even driving in a run would it ?
Possibly......
Old 08-19-2011, 09:21 PM
Mike Dugan

Graig- A quick story about that 1936 World Series. My Grandfather who died in 1968 was a huge Giants fan, he loved King Carl.

During the series he was on jury duty. The jury was hung with one lady refusing to go along with the others. My Grandfather liked to bet a little and was anxious to get to the local cigar store where his buddies were to listen to the game and drink some beer.

At some point early into game time he stood up and shouted and the woman to "bleep or get off the pot." The foreman reported him to the judge who dismissed him from the case with a $5.00 fine. You have to respect a man with priorities!
Old 08-19-2011, 10:05 PM
Chris
Ch.ris Pa.rtin

55 Dodgers
19 Blacksox
Old 08-20-2011, 10:17 AM
Graig Kreindler

Mike,

Now THAT'S an awesome story - thanks for sharing it. Interestingly enough, it sounds like an awesome way to get out of jury duty World Series game or not. Though I can't say that I'd want to try it myself. Either way, it just goes to show how much the game was such a huge part of people's lives in this country. I feel like there isn't much like that anymore, especially in sports. Then again, the World Series is no longer played in sunlight. I guess things were just really different back then...

Any idea what game it was that he almost missed? Was Hubbell pitching, perhaps?

Graig

Last edited by GKreindler; 08-20-2011 at 10:19 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 05:06 PM
R@nda!! H@hn

Default 1928 Athletics

The 1928 A's had a great HOF team! You had Cobb, Collins and Speaker at the end of their careers. Plus Foxx, Grove, Cochrane, Simmons & manager Mack!
Old 08-20-2011, 08:13 PM
Mike Dugan

Graig- I just had dinner and watched the end of the Cubs-Cardinals game with my 93 year old Dad. He said he could not remember any facts about the game but he did start laughing thinking about it.

By the way just before Hubbell died Dad asked me to find his address and he sent him get well wishes in the hospital.

He then started talking about rushing out of school on World Series afternoons to stand in front of the local newspaper office in the early '30s to watch the big board with the replays.

He also added that since his Braves were fading a little bit he was anxious to watch a little football this weekend. I think he misses Bobby Cox.