NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 02-03-2010, 08:55 PM

Default Syd Cohen zeenut

I guess this card sold for a healthy price. It's really too bad that I'm a poor Jew.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=260543200855
Old 02-03-2010, 09:22 PM

Holy cow!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:24 PM
David McDonald

Yikes! $1675 but I heard they threw in free parking. (Sorry, Alan. Someone else would have angled the parking thing in eventually). I couldn't find any Cohen on any Seals roster in the 1920's at baseball-reference.com and Syd Cohen made his minor league debut in 1929 in the Arizona State League so I am not sure who really is on this card. Rhett, anybody, who da guy? Mort Cohen? Plus, what's with the guy who made 72 bids on this card?

Last edited by Kawika; 02-03-2010 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:32 PM

Default Craziness

This is one of the most ridiculous auctions I have seen. One bidder (v**a) made 72 of the 89 bids, and was still the second underbidder. Are collectors of Jewish athletes nuts? Or was there some serious shilling taking place? That one bidder was bidding every ten seconds.

I am only two cards away from a complete 1928 set, but oy vey I guess I will never complete it, because Mr. Cohen and his cronies just ain't going to let me.

Brian
Old 02-03-2010, 09:34 PM
D.B. Cooper

Sorry, but I have a hard time believing Syd Cohen is a jewish name.
Old 02-03-2010, 09:37 PM
Frank Wakefield

Wow.... 3 bidders got it up to $1300.

A few years ago I sold one about like that for $100. Seems it isn't any less plentiful than any of the other 1928 cards, but that there's a strong, yet narrow, demand for the card. I felt contacted a couple of knowledgeable ZeeNut collectors who assured me that this wasn't a rarity, just a Jewish player. Then I sold it to this fellow who practically demanded that I sell him the card. Do I wish I'd gotten $1300 for it, of course. Do I think the card's worth that, not at all....
Old 02-03-2010, 09:40 PM
Randy Trierweiler

The BR bullpen info states Cohen was playing in the III league in 1928, not the PCL

http://www.baseball-reference.com/bullpen/Syd_Cohen

Last edited by cardinalcollector; 02-03-2010 at 09:44 PM.
Old 02-04-2010, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawika View Post
Yikes! $1675 but I heard they threw in free parking.
Wow, that's cold.
Old 02-04-2010, 07:54 AM
JeR@Me

Default Zeenut Cohen...

Gents,

I was at the Vandy Basketball game last night, came home to that pleasant little surprise.(WOW!) 2 Whales went at it and a 3rd bidder entered the fray to help add to the bidding war. (Our family will eat steak this weekend) Interesting article in Old Cardboard re/ Solly Mishkin & key mention of Syd Cohen :

The Saga of Solly Mishkin (contributed by Old Cardboard subscriber Adam Warshaw)
You have to love the internet for what it brings to this hobby. Every so often I stumble onto a card of a player who catches my interest and I see what I can find out about him. Years ago, it was an all but impossible task. Today, however, with the vast array of information on the internet, a researcher can chase down leads and learn all about a player’s life in a few hours. I found one such player recently, Solomon "Solly" Mishkin.

I saw a 1928 Zeenut on Ebay of "Mishkin," whom the seller had further identified as Sol Mishkin--a distinctly Jewish name. "Sol Mishkin," I thought. No reference I’d seen for Jewish ballplayers listed him, and I soon determined that there were no records of his being in the majors as a player. Obviously, he was a career minor leaguer. The only information I had at that point was that he had certainly played in the PCL with the Seals, since he is on the Zeenut card. The normally blank card back did give me a little more information, stating in vintage handwritten ink that for 1930, Sol Mishkin played first base and hit .287 with 28 doubles, 15 triples and 2 homers.

By digging for more information about Mishkin, I learned that he was a Los Angeles resident and is featured as a professional baseball player in the Hollywood High School list of famous alumni. Hollywood and the neighboring Fairfax area produced a number of Jewish professional athletes, most notably for Los Angeles fans Larry and Norm Sherry, the brother battery of the 1959 Dodgers. Apparently Solomon Mishkin was an earlier product of the Los Angeles public high schools in the Hollywood area, which led me to think it very likely that he was a heretofore unacknowledged Jewish ballplayer with a Zeenut card. Hollywood High’s web site states that Mishkin played for the New York Giants, but I’ve not located any references to substantiate that claim.

From Hollywood High, Sol moved east to Occidental College, in Eagle Rock, an area of Los Angeles northeast of Hollywood. He was a star on campus from 1925-1927. According to Oxy’s online baseball hall of fame: "Outstanding left handed hitter and perfect fielding first baseman for the Tigers. He led his teams in hitting, extra base hits, and total hits all three years that he played varsity. During his career at Oxy he hit .500 and went on to play professionally for the San Francisco Seals of the Pacific Coast League. In his first professional at bat he hit a Home Run." The college honored Mishkin in 1987 with its Auld Lang Syne Award, which goes to alumni for "loyalty to Occidental College and the principle for which it stands."

I wasn’t able to confirm the first-at-bat-home-run story, but as noted, Mishkin was picked up by the Seals for the 1928 season. According to a January 16, 1928 newspaper account in the San Francisco Examiner: "George Putman, the robust fork man of the Seals, whose sensitive fingers are ever feeling the pulse of his public, has long hankered for a Jewish baseball star and now he has two of them. Solomon Mishkin of Los Angeles, whose inexhaustible supply of paprika challenged the attention of fans, and Syd Cohen of Texas, the fastest thing in the Border territory with the exception of the rum-runners, will take the field this season for the city’s baseball team." Cohen’s 1928 Zeenut is well-known and well-chased among collectors of Jewish baseball player cards. Apparently, Mishkin’s should be as well.

As a player, Mishkin fit the Mark Grace model of first baseman: no power. In 1928 Mishkin played 82 games at first base for the Seals, batting .274 with 13 doubles, 1 triple, 2 homers and 28 RBI. Apparently, Mishkin played for the Seals for at least three years, since the card I got has 1930 stats on it. Despite decent batting averages in the so-called fourth major league, the light-hitting Mishkin did not make the show.

I do not know when Solly Mishkin finally hung up his spikes. I was able to learn that after his playing career was over, Mishkin went into a lifelong career coaching and managing. The year 1946 saw Mishkin managing the Amsterdam (NY) Rugmakers [really!] of the Class C Canadian-American League to a record of 61-58, good for fourth place. In 1947, under Mishkin’s guidance the Rugmakers finished only 1-½ games out of the playoffs, in third place with a record of 73-67. The best pitcher on Mishkin’s team, despite his 9-10 record, was Lew Burdette. Mishkin went on to manage college ball and must have been pretty good at the college game; in 1977 he was inducted as a coach into the City College of New York Athletic Hall of Fame.

From what I was able to glean, Solly Mishkin died in 1996. As for his cards, the 1928 Zeenut is the only one I’ve been able to find although there might be some obscure low minors team issue kicking around out there.
Old 02-04-2010, 08:02 AM
Jim VB

Quote:
Yikes! $1675 but I heard they threw in free parking. (Sorry, Alan. Someone else would have angled the parking thing in eventually). I couldn't find any Cohen on any Seals roster in the 1920's at baseball-reference.com and Syd Cohen made his minor league debut in 1929 in the Arizona State League so I am not sure who really is on this card. Rhett, anybody, who da guy? Mort Cohen? Plus, what's with the guy who made 72 bids on this card?
David,

I think you should refrain from the good natured teasing of Alan concerning "free parking." That's Rob D's job and he got to work. He has a family to feed.

(Lichtman and I ARE accepting applicants for the position that teases Rob D. There seems to be far too much work for just the two of us.)
Old 02-04-2010, 08:11 AM

Quote:
David -

That is funny. It deserves a beer chug in Baltimore.
Old 02-04-2010, 10:29 AM
Ad@m W@r$h@w

Since I wrote the article I've corresponded w/some of his relatives and confirmed some of the details, including his Yiddishkeit.

If anyone wants the 1928 Mishkin for $1675, LMK!

https://adamstevenwarshaw.substack.com/

Or not...

Last edited by Exhibitman; 02-04-2010 at 10:36 AM.