NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 01-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Matt

Default Opinions On This Gehrig Goudey?

Hi Guys,

Does this ebay item look off to you? Appears like a breached slab to me, with a telltale crack in top left joint, but also synthetic looking color. What's the proper etiquette here if so: politely point out to seller in case he bought a bad card?

It also appears there is some erased writing on the top left of the card's back, which I think would necessitate an MK qualifier?

I have definitely seen some spider webbing in the joint of the slab occur naturally, right off the press in fact, so it's a toss up for me on that aspect, gauging purely off a scan.

eBay item:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271356889746...746%26_rdc%3D1

Best,

Matt

*Title edited so as not to possibly besmirch card.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-23-2014 at 09:17 AM. Reason: link added :)
Old 01-23-2014, 08:27 AM
Daryl

The card looks good to me.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:30 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

The card looks right to me. Also the top left mark on the back looks like the WST of the name. A lot of my goudeys have this up there (the red on the bottom transfers a lot as well)

I could be wrong. It wouldn't be the first time.

Last edited by bn2cardz; 01-23-2014 at 08:30 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Trey

I'm not a Goudey expert, but I think the writing on the back is actually the text "Gehrig" bleeding through from the front, much like the red box on the bottom is bleeding through on the back. I do believe that bleeding through is a good sign that many counterfeits lack, however I've not seen the name bleeding through in my limited experience, but it seems plausible. Also, it looks like the red box at the bottom extends beyond the picture border on the right side, which I believe is also a positive sign. Your concerns about the color and holder are legitimate. I'll defer to the experts now.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:44 AM
pete ullman

I concur...nice looking...authentic card!

Like "new" as seller states!!!
Old 01-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Matt

Per VCP, it was sold on 12/7/13; different seller yet same scan. Anyways, I guess it just has anomalously bold, rich color. It was that coupled with the larger than usual stress cracks near the slab joint that gave me pause. The color on that card is off the charts!

Last edited by MattyC; 01-23-2014 at 09:04 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 01-23-2014, 09:04 AM
₳₦ĐɎ ₦ɆɄ฿ɆⱤ₮

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Per VCP, it was sold on 12/7/13; different seller yet same scan.
I will admit to stealing the scan from a previous seller when I buy a card. I figure it is easier than me rescanning the card again to get the same result. Also there was a time where my scanner was down and it was just better than waiting or taking a picture. Yet, I can see where the concern could be from a buyer so I try not to use the scan when reselling (though it has happened in a quick flip and/or laziness).
Old 01-23-2014, 09:05 AM
I. "Iggy" G0nz@lez
"rich"

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipperhank44 View Post
I'm not a Goudey expert, but I think the writing on the back is actually the text "Gehrig" bleeding through from the front, much like the red box on the bottom is bleeding through on the back. I do believe that bleeding through is a good sign that many counterfeits lack, however I've not seen the name bleeding through in my limited experience, but it seems plausible. Also, it looks like the red box at the bottom extends beyond the picture border on the right side, which I believe is also a positive sign. Your concerns about the color and holder are legitimate. I'll defer to the experts now.
The Gehrig is authentic, no question about that, but keep in mind that nothing can be 100% guaranteed without having the card in the palm of your hand. I don't think the card has been bleached, but truth be told, my internet expert opinion PHD diploma never did touch on the subject of blondes.

On another note, Chipperhank's assessment is pretty good with the exception of the bleeding part. The text and red-ink that is commonly seen on the back of Goudey's is actually a wet sheet transfer. In my opinion, the Goudey's are way too thick to exhibit ink bleeding from the front. My final critique, since I am on a bit of a roll, fake Goudey Gehrig's and Ruth's have been seen with the red-ink transfer on the back side, so that trait should NEVER be on anyone's "Goudey's Gehrig mental authentication checklist".

Lovely Day.

Last edited by iggyman; 01-23-2014 at 09:06 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Matt

I would definitely pay a premium for color like that, but at $2500 we are getting into PSA/SGC 6 territory.

It's funny how in this era of scans, they can magnify or distort aspects of a card that would not hit your eye the same way when examined in-hand. That's why I love shows so much, aside from being able to talk cards with fellow enthusiasts. It's kind of like how, every now and then, I find myself staring at a random word and thinking, 'That word just looks off; is it really spelled that way?' And I know it's correct, but it just looks strange because I'm staring at it for a longer time than usual.

Last edited by MattyC; 01-23-2014 at 09:15 AM.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:00 AM
D/e/@/n H/@/c/k/e/t/t

Nice card for sure. Has great focus. This is a pretty tough card to find focused. But still, the asking price is too steep for me.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:13 PM
Chr!$ M!ll!c@n

I had asked the seller if the slab had been dropped due to the crack/chip under the label and if he could provide pics of other angles of the slab.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:05 AM
Mike C@.v3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
It's kind of like how, every now and then, I find myself staring at a random word and thinking, 'That word just looks off; is it really spelled that way?' And I know it's correct, but it just looks strange because I'm staring at it for a longer time than usual.

It's funny that you mention this because I go through the same thing from time to time. I was looking at a few Jordan rookies the other day and I was staring at the name plate when it just hit me...is that how you really spell his last name? Lol. It just looked funny when you stared at it for a few seconds. I have gone through this a few times with some random basic words...good stuff

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1938 Goudey Graded VG range 37/48
Old 01-23-2014, 11:15 AM
pete ullman

ha ha...i do that from time to time...just stare at a word or name and after a while the spelling seems wrong...or just plain weird!!!!