NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
ebay GSB
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Main Forum - WWII & Older Baseball Cards > Net54baseball Vintage (WWII & Older) Baseball Cards & New Member Introductions

Old 11-17-2004, 10:56 AM
Administrator

Default Got scammed for the first time on ebay...help

Posted By: Dan Koteles

Had a Kaline 1955 Topps gai7.5 from all star cards, item #5137914063 not open ,I opened it at 199.00 and it wasn't topped- so I course, I won it...gotten an email from cjones@allstarcardsinc.c...stating that I won- I hit the pay now ...followed thru w/ the m.o process gotten only an address before money order info came up - said All Star Cards 15010 W.106th St Lenexa KS 66215 1800 992 3667

Phone is at a business other than cards,Ebay emailed me (after the auction ) stating they were from the vero - program and the item was pulled ...well , how can a item be pulled after it was won fair and square and the auction had ended ?

Shouldn't Ebay be responsible, it said do not complete the transaction , the item was pulled.

Being a quick payer as most of yous' know -I had already sent a priority mail m.o to the address- is there anything that I can do ?

Old 11-17-2004, 11:05 AM
Administrator

Posted By: Brent Butcher

I believe you can cancel a money order provided you still have the portion you tear away. Call the bank/institution you bought the money order from and have them cancel it.

Old 11-17-2004, 11:06 AM
Administrator

thanks Brent - Ill try to do that !

Old 11-17-2004, 12:35 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Chris

I don't believe you can cancel a mo. They are certified funds. I'm pretty sure there is no way to do that. Dan, what may have happened, is Ebay may have canceled the wrong item number. Vero is used to protect copyrighted items and also in some cases autographs. I had an incident once when I was selling a signed Larry Seiple football card and my winning bidder was contacted saying the auction was voided because a VERO member had requested it. I called that VERO member and it turned out to be Wayne Gretzky's company. After a day or so they determined the wrong item number had been keyed in to be pulled. They had wanted a bogus signed Gretzky item to be pulled and someone keyed in the wrong item number and Ebay canceled my Seiple auction. Sounds to me like the same thing has happened to you. As I said VERO protects copyrighted items and an Al Kaline card should have nothing to do with this.

Old 11-17-2004, 01:11 PM
Administrator

Posted By: andy becker

i'm pretty sure 99.9%...that brent is correct. a money order may be cancelled until it is remitted...just like a check. i do not think you can cancell a cashier's check without all portions (the original and the duplicate...and lots of id...if you are not the payee).
good luck, dan

Old 11-17-2004, 01:24 PM
Administrator

Posted By: Colt McClelland

I live in the Kansas City area, and All Star Cards is an established dealer with a good track record as far as I know. They put out a large catalog on a regular basis and set up at shows all the time. Their local number is 913-338-3667. I am sure at the least you can get your money back, even if they don't honor the ebay deal (which of course they should).

Old 11-17-2004, 03:33 PM
Administrator

Posted By: ramram

I also live right by Lenexa. So long as your payment is going to the Lenexa address that you mentioned, you should be safe as they are legit.

Rob

Old 11-17-2004, 03:54 PM
Administrator

Posted By: warshawlaw

You can put in a stop order on any instrument that can be traced, including cashiers checks and money orders. The problem is that under most state and federal laws, there is no duty on the part of the recipient institution to check for a cancellation before cashing the item (many have stale instrument rules that will weed out old checks, but little more). If a scammer elects to deposit the item in his or her bank account, eventually a charge-back will take place when the check is declined and your money will be ok. If he or she goes to a check cashing place instead, however, you are SOL because the check will have to be honored once the cashing institution takes it. I know it makes no sense that this can happen, but that is how the system is designed.

FYI, your absolute best protection is to use a credit card.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Posted By: qualitycards.com

Not sure I understand how you got scammed.
Did someone hijack All Stars account? Or did you just pay for an item that was pulled? All Star has almost 17,000 feedback from 7316 individual eBay accounts, their feedback % is 99.9.
I know this since they just paid me for a Ty Cobb PSA an hour ago that they won last night.
So if they receive your money order, I'm sure you'll get the item or your money order back. I seriously doubt they would ruin their reputation over this transaction and send you nothing.

Old 11-17-2004, 04:46 PM
Administrator

thanks everyone for answers, seems to be resolved as the seller contacted me and explained what happened.

He stated that the card listed GAI 7.5 = PSA and ebay took it off for that reason and it was they who ended it and that this rarely happens.

Sounds simple enough , guess never hurts to learn something new, unwarranted or not.

Thanks again for the input !

Old 11-20-2004, 01:27 PM
Administrator

Posted By: dan mckee

You can report the money order stolen, I have seen that done before. Not really what happened but you must do whatever you can to protect yourself against possible fraud.