NonSports Forum

Net54baseball.com
Welcome to Net54baseball.com. These forums are devoted to both Pre- and Post- war baseball cards and vintage memorabilia, as well as other sports. There is a separate section for Buying, Selling and Trading - the B/S/T area!! If you write anything concerning a person or company your full name needs to be in your post or obtainable from it. . Contact the moderator at leon@net54baseball.com should you have any questions or concerns. When you click on links to eBay on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network. Enjoy!
Net54baseball.com
Net54baseball.com
T206s on eBay
Babe Ruth Cards on eBay
t206 Ty Cobb on eBay
Ty Cobb Cards on eBay
Lou Gehrig Cards on eBay
Baseball T201-T217 on eBay
Baseball E90-E107 on eBay
T205 Cards on eBay
Baseball Postcards on eBay
Goudey Cards on eBay
Baseball Memorabilia on eBay
Baseball Exhibit Cards on eBay
Baseball Strip Cards on eBay
Baseball Baking Cards on eBay
Sporting News Cards on eBay
Play Ball Cards on eBay
Joe DiMaggio Cards on eBay
Mickey Mantle Cards on eBay
Bowman 1951-1955 on eBay
Football Cards on eBay

Go Back   Net54baseball.com Forums > Net54baseball Postwar Sportscard Forums > Postwar Baseball Cards Forum (Pre-1980)

Old 10-06-2010, 01:10 PM
Paul Gruszka aka P Diddy, Cambo, Fluke, Jagr, PG13, Bon Jokey, Paulie Walnuts
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default FAKE '52 Mantle on Ebay

Read his lovely story in the description and the 2 rating should be enough to know this is fake, then if you go to his history he bought long ago from ebay seller Rawoysterman who was notorious for selling reprints/fakes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...m=180570046339

I've reported this listing to Ebay. Enjoy the sellers description while it is up.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:15 PM
Scott

Well, at least he listed it as a possible reprint.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:18 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

He actually sold 1 on Monday, I feel for the buyer, there goes 1200, unless he sees this or is wise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-311-M...item2a0aa68d27
Old 10-06-2010, 01:20 PM
Doug C.

Hopefully someday eBay will actually quit letting people list these cards with this "It's not graded, so I have to call it a possible reprint even though I've owned it for 30 years" crap. The people that are stupid enough to bid a few hundred bucks on these things don't help the cause either.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:21 PM
Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayGhost View Post
Well, at least he listed it as a possible reprint.
Yeah, not sure he's technically doing anything wrong....
Old 10-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
He actually sold 1 on Monday, I feel for the buyer, there goes 1200, unless he sees this or is wise.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-Topps-311-M...item2a0aa68d27
It's as bad as the people that will drop $1500 on a T206 Wagner that "could be a reprint, but it came from grandpa's attic". If they have that much extra money to throw away, they are more and welcome to send some my way.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:32 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfbuckeye View Post
Yeah, not sure he's technically doing anything wrong....
He's lying. He knows it. How many people do u know unload 3 '52 Mantles in one week. If he gets these 3 graded, he probably adds 20+grand to his profit margin. So he is either the stupidest person on the planet or a fraud. And Rawowsterman had the best fakes around. Put 2 & 2 together.

Last edited by Shoeless Moe; 10-06-2010 at 01:40 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:33 PM
Leon
peasant/forum owner

Default Doug.....lessons....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
It's as bad as the people that will drop $1500 on a T206 Wagner that "could be a reprint, but it came from grandpa's attic". If they have that much extra money to throw away, they are more and welcome to send some my way.
That is what is called a $1500 learning lesson. It doesn't take too many of those to learn either......
Old 10-06-2010, 01:39 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon View Post
That is what is called a $1500 learning lesson. It doesn't take too many of those to learn either......
There are actual "finds" out there, but what are the odd of a legit T206 Wagner or 1952 Topps Mantle slipping through the cracks on eBay? IMO it's about as likely as the guy listing a lottery ticket from a week ago and claiming it might be a winner because he didn't check the numbers. I know "a fool and his money are soon parted", but I'm starting to wonder how anyone dumb enough to buy one of those cards got that much extra money to begin with...

Last edited by Doug; 10-06-2010 at 01:39 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:40 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Also....look at the feedback he's left for others. He sold 2 more '52 Mantles in August. He seems to have an endless supply. I've contacted those buyers. I'll let you know if they respond to me. Both look like avid collectors, would love to hear if they tried to have them graded. I'll report back.
Old 10-06-2010, 01:49 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Default kinda funny.....

......well not for the buyers of these. Go click on this sellers feedback, and when u see the only feedback from Rayowsterman click on him, even though no longer a registered user, look at his picture......too funny. Then look at all the fakes/reprints he sold. Be vary wary of ungraded these cards, which are just about all years, any brands, but mostly the big boys. How many of the buyers of those fakes are now turning around and putting on Ebay with the Grandpa's attic etc stories, just be wary. 96 pages of feedback on "authentic looking" fakes, Aye carumba!
Old 10-06-2010, 01:54 PM
Doug C.

Check this out for scary: http://cgi.ebay.com/1952-TOPPS-BASEB...-/120630517492 There's no reason eBay should let people sell these things. Even when people list them as reprints sooner or later they are going to get to the quality where they look dead on like the real thing and fall into the hands of scammers trying to rip people off. As long as eBay gets their fees I'm sure they will keep their heads in the sand.

Last edited by Doug; 10-06-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:02 PM
Pa.ul Grus.zka

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoeless Moe View Post
Also....look at the feedback he's left for others. He sold 2 more '52 Mantles in August. He seems to have an endless supply. I've contacted those buyers. I'll let you know if they respond to me. Both look like avid collectors, would love to hear if they tried to have them graded. I'll report back.
1st off can u reply to your own quote? I feel like Kramer in the episode he stands at the corner of 1st & 1st. Anyhow........one of the August buyers of the '52 Mantle's (jimbo5682) just replied to me, that yes the card was a fake and they did get there money back.
Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
Larry Harris
Banned

Quote:
you got that right leon!! what's up?
Old 10-06-2010, 02:11 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure those lessons are what Dave Ramsey refers to as "stupid tax".
Old 10-06-2010, 02:52 PM
Jim D

so you guys call people fools for buying fakes.... which i agree whole heartedly!!
but when a new guy asks if this same card is a fake, so he is trying not to be one of these fools, he gets the third degree....

I am glad the guys on here point out fakes, it is very educational but we should be more accepting when i guy is asking advice.

It is better to be quiet and thought of as a fool then to open your mouth and remove all doubt!!
Old 10-06-2010, 04:04 PM
Doug C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FUBAR View Post
so you guys call people fools for buying fakes.... which i agree whole heartedly!!
but when a new guy asks if this same card is a fake, so he is trying not to be one of these fools, he gets the third degree....

I am glad the guys on here point out fakes, it is very educational but we should be more accepting when i guy is asking advice.
In my defense I call people stupid for buying fakes, but I took up for the guy asking about the PSA 7 Mantle too. It doesn't make a lot of sense to blast people that buy fake cards for not doing their research and then slam a guy that actually asks about the legitimacy of a card.

Last edited by Doug; 10-06-2010 at 04:07 PM.